So I was talking with my brother, or rather I was talking as he wasn't listening, and I noticed that I have grown a lot when it comes to liking music. And I sorta wanted to discuss how far other people have come in that sense as well.

I started out with:
Blink 182
Greenday
Sum 41

Randomly Came Upon Operation Ivy

And now I am in a wide range from X Ray Spex to Bob Dylan to The Strokes to Leftover Crack.

Also, who, if anyone did, got you into the musical scene you are in now? And what artist has had the most influence?

Your turn!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
AntiFlag are about as punk as Justin Lame's excuse for a mohawk.

i.e. really gay.
When I was a kid I listened to a lot of Metallica and Korn and other metal. When I was in middle school I started listenning to rap because my friends were listening to it, that didnt last long. In high school I listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam and other similar bands. I listened to Offspring and Green Day through it all, until now atleast. Those were the bands that made me want to get into punk. I dont listen to the "pop punk" bands anymore, or Nirvana but they got me into a lot of music that I really like and still listen to.
With such a wealth of information why are you so poor?
i stated with emo poser trash like fallout boy and mcr and now i like punk like the exploited and rancid
I started out with emo trash like rancid and green day and Barry Manilow and now I only lisnet to real punnk - THE EXPLOITED.

THE EXPLOITED ARE PUNK ROCK!

THE EXPLOITED.

PUNKS NOT DEAD

i like the casualties too.

THE CASUALTIES ARE PUNK ROCK
Last edited by BrianApocalypse at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by RizzoWashburn
When was the last time we had a thread that didn't end in the regulars trolling until it got closed?

I made a thread about the Biters once a month ago or so. It didn't get trolled by regulars so it just died and ended up alone and sad at the end of the forum. Still open though.

true story.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I made a thread about the Biters once a month ago or so. It didn't get trolled by regulars so it just died and ended up alone and sad at the end of the forum. Still open though.

true story.
Until I close it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well, back in the day when I was a little tyke whose mother brought him along on errands, my family owned a minivan, and this minivan had a cassette player, and in that cassette player my mother would play Cosmic Thing by the B-52's, and ever since then I've liked quirky music and queers.
And then when I was a little older, and we had a CD player, my mother would play Nevermind by Nirvana, and ever since then I've liked heroin users who played shitty guitar solos.
And then one day I was at a friend's haus, and he had just bought a cassette by this band called the Sex Pistols, and we listened to it, and ever since then I've liked raw, gritty rock music.
And that's why I think "Sister Ray" is a really cool song.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Well, back in the day when I was a little tyke whose mother brought him along on errands, my family owned a minivan, and this minivan had a cassette player, and in that cassette player my mother would play Cosmic Thing by the B-52's, and ever since then I've liked quirky music and queers.
And then when I was a little older, and we had a CD player, my mother would play Nevermind by Nirvana, and ever since then I've liked heroin users who played shitty guitar solos.
And then one day I was at a friend's haus, and he had just bought a cassette by this band called the Sex Pistols, and we listened to it, and ever since then I've liked raw, gritty rock music.
And that's why I think "Sister Ray" is a really cool song.

You have a good story.

Since I don't exist independently from this here computer, I'll take the time to tell mine, which isn't as good. Heads up: It's gonna be a tough read.

Well when I was a skinny little boy with glasses, songs got stuck in my head sometimes. Like "All I Have To Do Is Dream," which years later I discovered was the work of The Everly Brothers. For some reason that's the only specific one I can remember. A lot of them were probably songs I heard on commercials and stuff. Anywho, I heard these songs and I was like "These songs are catchy. I don't care, I'm a little kid bzzzz Power Rangers Beetle Borgs Pokemon. Whatever, Digimon I'll take it." Music is stupid and pointless. That's not in quotation marks because it's true.

Then after that I was a fat annoying self-hating tw33n. And I watched TV a lot and I played video games a lot. I liked Sonic Adventure 2: Battle a lot. That song on the first level that said "Rollin' around at the speed of sound, got places to go got to follow my rainbow!" was super gay. I kinda liked it though because it was catchy. And I thought skateboarding was neat because I played those Tony Hawk games. And I wore skateboarding shoes because they were comfortable and I even bought a skateboard, but I never rode it because I was afraid I would skin my kneez and stuff. And those Tony Hawk games had catchy songs on them. I later learned that the best, catchiest songs were something called "punx rawk." But I still didn't care 'cuz I was like "Bzzzzz I'm a dumb fat kid GAMECUBE Burger King The Simpsons."

Side note: One time I was at my dad’s parents’ house for the weekend (because he lived with his parents because my mom kicked him out, but then he became rly Xtian [which led me to become fairly Xtian on a whim, but now I realize I had a pretty cold, shallow Xtian faith and I’m actually a self-hating agnostic] and seemed to have redeemed himself but she still didn’t like him, but itz kool now BUT THAT’S A DIFFERENT STORY) and I was watching a rerun of Saturday Night Live or something. There was this band on TV (with presumably loud and distorted instruments, but I don’t remember because I didn’t pay attention at that time) and the long-haired guy was yelling and I was like “Why does he yell like that?” It was probably Nirvana, I gathered many years later. It made no impression on me but I remembered it so I told you. THERE.

There’s an old video somewhere around here of me during my fat period talking briefly about how I “hate[d] all [my sister’s] music. I HATE ALL MUSIC!!!!” which wasn’t actually true. Actually, I rather enjoyed some of it, but I wasn’t fully conscious of that at the time because I was too wrapped up in, for example, movies that I didn’t actually care about like Jeepers Creepers. Ya see in those days I often said things just to have something to say. It’s not even like I wanted attention or anything -- I was somewhat aware of the negative social effects of saying dumb crap all the time, but it was a habit.

I’m typing this in MS Word now. It does not like my grammar. >:3

Anyway, when my sister waz a tween she liked Avril Lavigne and a lot of irrelevant music. And she watched the music videoz on TV and I kind of enjoyed MCR and The Explosion (who seem to have been forgotten) and Good Charlotte and the like, but I didn’t realize it at the time. And eventually she liked Green Day a lot, and I heard Green Day all the time, so the Green Day songs got stuck in my head. And for some arbitrary reason I decided I liked Green Day. It could have just as easily been Modest Mouse or something.

Holy bananaz this is gonna be long.

Side note: Around the time this is happening, my fat friend, who was a big influence on my fat TV-loving persona at the time, moved away. That will be somewhat relevant soon.

Let’s look back a year or so. I’m in homeroom (7th grade I guess) and it’s pretty laid back and this d00d is playin’ his Squier aXe (probably really badly) and even though I don’t care about music I decide guitars are kinda cool. So pretty soon I get me a Squier aXe myself (because I’m a spoilt brat and my mommy buys me whatever stupid thing I decide I want [not that that happened often]). And of course I didn’t learn to play it or anything.

Anyway back to the story. So now I kinda like Green Day. All of a sudden I decide I really like Green Day so I buy all of their albums one day (I get too much lunch money every week so I just save what I don’t use). And I listen to ‘em and say I like them even though I don’t like anything substantial about them, such as their lyrics or ideology. Because people who like music like abstract, stupid things like melody and timbre.

So the summer after 8th grade I get bored of eating, playing video games, and watching TV all the time. Some of my new hobbies include browsing tha internet and learning a little geetar every now and then. I like Green Day even more now because their songs are bitch-easy so I can play them. When I’m on the internet I learn about these cats called Operation Ivy (a few other bands too). I download many of their songs from MySpace (that was back when you could do that) and they’re catchy and I like them because music is now filling the void left by the video games that no longer interest me.

Side note: My new buddy (who happens to be the d00d who played guitar in homeroom) was also a fan of Green Day and he introduced me to The Newfits (not Danzig’s Misfits). And their songs are catchy too so I like them. He also tried to introduce me to Rise Against and Anti-Flag and some other boring stuff, but it didn’t really click with me.

Anyway blah blah blah. I gradually become less fat and less stupid. By mah Freshman year I’m much less stupid and hardly fat at all. I’ve liked Rancid for a while and the internet told me that they’re kinda like The Clash. I listen to London Calling but I don’t like it because it doesn’t have LOUD PUNX RAWK GUITARS which I like for some gay reason. But then one day I realize the title song is pretty catchy so I decide I was a retard for only liking loud punx rawk guitar music. I become quite fond of The Clash and delve deeper into the punx rawx, and Sandinista! opens my mind to all sorts of music stylez.

In December during 9th grade (according to that little thing below my avatar) I join the Ultimate-Guitar.com forum to ask some guitar-playing questions. Music and the internet will soon displace my other hobbies. I’ll waste my time in front of a computer instead of in front of a TV. Hooray!

So anyway, I like quite a bit of punk rawk (and related) music because that’s the natural progression for someone who started with Green Day.

I like “classic” music (Hank Williams, Chuk Bary, The Beatles and the Stones, Glen Miller, whatever) because there’s a lot of hype around it from music journalist snobs, and I like that they can tell me how good and influential it is so I don’t have to think critically for myself.

I like crazy ridiculous stuff like James Chance and the Contortions or Beefheart or Johnny Rebel or Wesley Willis because it’s crazy and hilarious. And something in me respects people who apparently aren’t self-conscious even though they should be. It’s probably because I’m so boring.

And I like other music cuz I don’t know. It sounds neat.

And that’s why I listened to Public Image Ltd.’s Metal Box four times today.
I read about half of that.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Fuck. Yes.

I no longer feel the need to post. Like, ever again. Anything I could say, just totally irrelevant.

Fuck. Yes.

EDIT: I read the whole fucking thing. Whole. Fucking. Thing.
DOWN&OUT
Last edited by Jett Diamond at Jul 17, 2010,
Decided to read the second half.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Yeah, I wish I didn't.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
PS: I'm looking forward to finding something to replace my internet hobby, because the internet is pretty effin' 'n' Jeffin' stupid.
I didn't read werty's. My story left out a lot of lame things about being into Linkin Park in middle school or Anti-Flag in ninth grade. As well as the fact that I barely listen to "punk" anymore. Although I did listen to Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables last week and, as usual, thought it was pretty great.

Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time on the internet, but then I remember the absurd amount of time I spent on the internet a couple years ago and realize I figure it's not so bad. But I still feel like I should be on it less. Oh well.
And yeah, it's pretty lame. I can't remember the last thread in here that I've actually cared about. Like, been genuinely interested in, not just interested in how stupid the thread starter was. I guess that sorta goes along with not caring about "punk" bands, though.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jul 18, 2010,
When I was a young child (3-4), my dad would sing "Blowing in the Wind" around the house. I didn't know it was a Bob Dylan song until recently.

When I got older (5-10) I listened to whatever my parents listened to--country and classic rock from my dad; classic RnB and Soul from my mom. We also listened to a lot of gospel and praise and worship stuff.

After (11-13) that I listened whatever my older sister listened to. I think I liked Nelly a bunch.

At 13 or 14 my sister and I got into Simple Plan, and then I got into Green Day.

After listening to Green Day, Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, and those kind of bands for a while we got a new computer. This computer had a free internet radio program called "Music Jukebox" or something. It would play similar artists to the bands you liked. At the same time, my sister went to college, so I was pretty free from her influence. I got into Rise Against, and through them I got into NoFX, Bad Religion, Black Flag, The Ramones, The Clash, Anti Flag, and all the punk bands everybody knows.

That was about 9th and 10th grade. In 11th grade I was watching "Warped Wednesday" on Fuse, where they would show music videos from Warped Tour bands past and present (I was more into the past bands tr00 punx). On Steven's Untitled Rock Show that night, he played a video from his favorite band. That band was Jawbreaker and he showed the "Fireman" video. The next week he played "Seven" by Sunny Day Real Estate.

Around that time I started posting on the internet, so I learned about a bunch of bands from this site and others.

Now I'll listen to almost anything as long as it's jammin'
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Why not? I'll do mine condensed though.

Wasn't really a music fan of any sort until grade 8. I mean, sure, i liked GOB and Sum 41 (and Weird Al) and whatever else was on the radio, but I only owned, like 2 mix tapes. Everyone else liked that sort of stuff too though, so I guess I figured there were good and bad bands, and it was completely black and white.

Then, in grade 8, I bought AFI's Sing the Sorrow and absolutely loved it; I was shocked that my best friend couldn't stand it at all. I guess this was the first time I realized opinions in music existed.

In grade 9/10 I used to walk around the halls with a few friends, but I'd always have a CD playing on my Shockwave (It altered between the AFI retrospective and one of the QOTSA discs I own). I then realized that bands with screaming existed in them and decided I wanted nothing to do with that.

Skip ahead to last summer. I finally had regular internet access for the first time in my life, and I went on giant downloading sprees of mostly Jawbreaker and whatever grindcore I could find (after forcing myself to listen to some atonal hardcore stuff to see what the hype was about).

Like everyone else, I then started getting rec's from the good people on UG, and the rest is history.

So yeah, if I put it in a flowchart:

Mallpunk >>>
Darker Punk/Rock stuff >>>
whatever would be good songs to learn on guitar (so stuff with MEEDLY MEEDLY solos) >>>
Metalcore >>>
Emo and Grindcore >>>
Electronic junk >>>
Post-Punk

And it hasn't really progressed since last year or so.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Werty totally named dropped the Explosion. I have not thought about that band since like 10th grade. Crazy.

Turns out I have two of their albums on my Ipod. How they got there/how I didn't notice it I'll never know.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Yeah, they were in THUG. That's the only time I've ever heard them.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
They also showed their music video on FUSE all the time (or on Warped Wednesdays, because that's the only time I watched FUSE). It had a guy riding around on a skate board putting up flyers.

Yep here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyNIOkhLZhM

I feel like I was relatively old before I got into "good" music. At least compared to the rest of you.

I also left out that I was really into 3rd wave ska for a while, because it seemed like every band I heard of was a ska band. I really liked Sublime too. Now I know how dumb all that stuff is.

I also forgot to say that another way I learned about new bands was looking at the patches on the punk kids' jackets. I was never friends with any of them, though. I was too shy, and by the time I was a junior or senior and actually would have they had all graduated/dropped out/died. And my taste in music had moved on, so we wouldn't have liked the same bands.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

What the hell was that song on??!?!?!?! I've heard it before, but I have no idea where.

EDIT: It was THUG2

I still love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TuYYIesIpY&feature=related
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Jul 18, 2010,
That's slightly different than the one in THUG.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Yeah, I noticed as well. The singing is quite different in certain parts.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
My dad played Rockaway Beach a lot when I was a kid

I've been punx ever since
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Well clearly Rizzo has always had the most punx taste, and he's the youngest of all of us!
i listened to Green Day, Good Charlotte, The All-American Rejects.

now i realize tht Good Charlotte And The All-American Rejects Are pussy music.
today like like The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, NOFX, Anti-Flag, Offspring, Pinhead Gunpowder, and many more. I Still Love Green Day even though u guys don't call em' "punk" anymore. i still think they are.
I don't know...

My mom loved the B-52s, Beastie Boys and a wide variety of 80s music. My dad loved country.

I guess in 9th grade my sister randomly got into the Ramones, Dead Kennedys and NoFX, although none of that makes sense now that she became a sorority sister and listens to really bad mainstream rap and pop music.

Then I got my best friend into the same entry-level punk bands. He ended up getting a SoCal punk compilation, and I quickly moved on to obsessing over Adolescents, X, Agent Orange, and the like. Then we started hanging out with the one super punx kid in our high school and going to shows.

He took it much more seriously than me, but I fell in love with the music and the scene and had so much fun at shows. I got really into street punk since that was pretty much the only scene we had. By senior year, I started getting into Crass.

It wasn't until college that I really got into Anarcho punk, though.. I bought a Conflict CD on a whim (Increase the Pressure) and loved it. Then I started listening to too much Subhumans. I started going to shows around there, and was exposed to more than just crappy street punk and loved it.

Then my buddy that I started out in the scene with got really into folk punk and crust. I hated it until a year later, about the time he was getting out of that scene.

Now I listen to just about every facet of punk to some degree. I don't know why I ended up loving punk so much. Maybe it's because it meant people would actually pay attention to me. Maybe I just loved the community. Maybe it's just music. I don't know.
I started out enjoying synthpop ballads and modern country, because that's what my parents listened to as they drove me to elementary school. Once my sister hit high school (I was in 6th grade at the time) she got into emo, so I tolerated most of it, like some of it, but mostly didn't care about music. Then a friend in 7th or 8th grade introduced me to Iron Maiden and Frank Zappa, so I started to like classic rock and metal. Early in high school, another friend was like, "Hey, check out this cool band! They're called Lamb Of God!" And I was like, "They're okay." Then he showed me Cradle Of Filth, and I shat my pants in awe. I like them, don't judge me. I started to look into various extreme metals more, and then said friend got me into hardcore punk also. Then I also started to develop an interest in less hardcore punk and ska, like Rise Against and Less Than Jake, as well as an appreciation for hair metal.

So now I like everything except country and emo.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Jul 22, 2010,
Heh...
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I heard Sweet Jane by chance when I was just starting to play guitar. It's my all time favorite song. It still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

Then I bought Please Kill Me to make a girl think I was unique and interesting.

And somewhere along the way I got consumed by the internet.

I was a classic rock kid. So I got to skip all the Anti-Flag stuff and go straight to the Stooges

Though I did like Sublime and other crappy ska in 9th grade.

This thread is cool.

Quote by neidnarb11890

Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time on the internet, but then I remember the absurd amount of time I spent on the internet a couple years ago and realize I figure it's not so bad. But I still feel like I should be on it less. Oh well.
And yeah, it's pretty lame. I can't remember the last thread in here that I've actually cared about. Like, been genuinely interested in, not just interested in how stupid the thread starter was. I guess that sorta goes along with not caring about "punk" bands, though.

Fuckin' tell me about it, bro.

The internets is a kind of double edged sword for me. Cuz I feel like it has made me a more knowledgeable person and I probably never would've met my favorite authors or artists without it and I definitely wouldn't have learned how to fix my moped or play the six chords I still remember on the guitar.

But it doesn't really lend itself to gaining life experience does it?

Still, I don't care for partying and I hate clubs and stuff so there's not much else for me to do really.

I definitely shoulda gone away to school.

I wanna get out and start chasin' rainbows!

...Also I gotta a great idea for a thread.
I have to thank my brother for getting me into the music I like. I remember watching an instructional VHS with Mike Portnoy in it with him back when I was 8 or 9.

I can also thank Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for introducing me to good music.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Yeah, I think this is actually the most interesting thread that's been here lately. And even it isn't that great.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Fuckin' tell me about it, bro.

The internets is a kind of double edged sword for me. Cuz I feel like it has made me a more knowledgeable person and I probably never would've met my favorite authors or artists without it and I definitely wouldn't have learned how to fix my moped or play the six chords I still remember on the guitar.

But it doesn't really lend itself to gaining life experience does it?

Still, I don't care for partying and I hate clubs and stuff so there's not much else for me to do really.

Yeah, I would quit postin' here in a second if it meant I would have something better to do (no offense to uguise). But being on tha netz off and on every day during the summer is definitely an effect of not having much of a social life, not a cause.

I've been bored all the time for so many years that it's the status quo. Like, when other people complain about being bored, I realize that must mean they usually aren't bored and that almost seems unusual to me. I really can't think of anything vaguely enjoyable I could do with my time. Being a relatively quiet kid (with misanthropic leanings), I didn't make a whole lotta friends in school and the friends I do have never want to do anything.

I guess I probably should have gotten a job a long time ago. That would have given me something to occupy my time and I could have more ca$h. But I've never had the motivation to do that because I don't really need money because I never go anywhere or buy anything.

Aaanyway I'd kinda like to hear Brian's story to learn how he became such an elitist and Jett's to see why he's such a fairy.

But of course I don't really care 'cuz you people don't really exist, you're just stupid names on a computer screen like me.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I have never understood how anyone could find these things fun.

I'd much rather just have stupid conversations with my friends than go to places where there are loads of random people you don't know and you have to shout to hear each other (not counting gigs >_> (that said, I did just get back from a friends' house when I could've gone to what would've been a pretty good gig))
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Jul 24, 2010,
**** it ill share too. Growing up my dad was a metal head so I grew up on Metallica Black Sabbath so on and so forth. Needless to say that I was very music concious at a very young age cuz I loved it, enter my uncle Chris who reviewed music for something called a website in California, who had sent me a pair vans for my 8th birthday that came with a comp. And there was this song by this band called "sick of it all"... I was ****ing floored there was this band that to my 8 year old ears that sounded like metallica but better! So I spend the next year listening to that comp and another one that my uncle had sent me that had an AFI song on it. The year is now 1999 and I visit my uncle and he takes me to a show that he has to review that was AFI opening for sick of it all. The min AFI hit the stage with the jack o lanterns and this guy dressed head to toe in leather and then start ripping it up, I was hooked. Purchase EP at show that had misfits cover, get collection one before returning to CT. My uncle sends me various albums over the next few years B.R. DK, Black Flag, Minor Threat. Ect. Found music by my self too. Agnostic Front, American Nightmare. Started a band, sucked, senior year started listening to post punk and early goth, cure, bauhaus, sisters of mercy, joy division,ect. Followed the goth vien down to more bands from different genres, found new love for good metal, got into some 70's and 80's rock
and I'm currently residing between my beloved goth-(insert genre here) and the punk I've always loved so dearly
Quote by nashawa
You're my idol, so I must destroy you