ive seen some nice jazzmaster MIJ and they are more expensive used than a MIA strat is new. why is this?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
MIJ's are simply just very sought after. Their quality is usually equal, if not better than MIA's.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
because the japanese fenders are really good guitars, and some people (myself included) believe they're better in terms of feel and sound (quality is something i dont judge because its hard to really say which is better, but some have said they're better quality too).

american made does not always equal good. korean and japanese stuff is often just as good if not better for the price.
Japan makes quality guitars.. CHINA doesn't.

Contrary to popular belief, Americans don't ALWAYS make the best guitars.
Quote by humperdunk

So I just woke up sitting in my desk chair, with my bong on the desk in a bunch of little pieces and my hand super glued to my penis. Speculations as to what the hell just happened and how to unglue my hand from my member would be appreciated.
Yup, the Japs sure know how to make guitars. Originally back in the '70s they had a reputation for being crappy (basically the way we think of Chinese guitars today) and it was pretty much right. After that they started making stuff that was as good as and sometimes better than the Americans. It's part of why Gibson almost went under in the '80s- they couldn't keep up.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Archetype00
Japan makes quality guitars.. CHINA doesn't.

Contrary to popular belief, Americans don't ALWAYS make the best guitars.

Wrong.

China has a bad reputation because of knock-off brands owned by larger companies (such as epiphone/gibson) making low quality guitars sold for high profit margins that cash in on the brand name. That's what the larger companies generally "use" chinese factories for.

There are some companies which really have some brilliant guitars produced in china, making the most of the low production costs to put out some excellent guitars at excellent prices. A good example of this would be Gretsch - There are some wonderful gretsch models made in china, for example the electromatic hollowbodies. Like all quality guitars, though, you've gotta pay for them. This contradicts the above paragraph since gretsch are owned by fender but...

Anyway, on topic, Japanese manufacture isn't a "cheap alternative" anymore, so if you're in the US it probably makes sense that the MIJ fenders sometimes cost more than MIAs - if they are built to the same standard, it probably cost fender a little less to manufacture them, but then you've gotta take the import costs into the US into consideration, whereas you don't need to import an american made guitar into america because it is already there...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
they are about the same cost here in the states.

Fuji-gen makes some of the best guitars in the world, arguably the most consistent guitars for the prices. They have for 40 some odd years. (i said for the price, don't throw a TA or Suhr at me here ppl).

i sought out a MIJ strat when i was looking for that very reason.

having played hundreds of MIA strats, i work for sam ash, i can say that my mij is as good as any of the best MIA strats i've played.

when i bought mine, i had it narrowed down to 2 guitars. this one, and a custom shop 1960 heavy relic. i don't think i would have gone wrong either way, but i opted for the MIJ for a quarter the price.

greg, how much did that cost you? That's a beautiful guitar.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Yup, the Japs sure know how to make guitars. Originally back in the '70s they had a reputation for being crappy (basically the way we think of Chinese guitars today) and it was pretty much right. .

that was the perception, because all the cheap toys back in the 70s were MIJ.

go play a mij yamaha from the 70s and tell me that.

today the 70's mij guitars are sought after by enthusiasts, for their quality.
Quote by CL/\SH
greg, how much did that cost you? That's a beautiful guitar.

i paid less than $500 for the guitar.

then i shoved a set of lollar dirty black face pups in there. so all in all i'm at about $750-800.
Quote by gregs1020
that was the perception, because all the cheap toys back in the 70s were MIJ.

go play a mij yamaha from the 70s and tell me that.

today the 70's mij guitars are sought after by enthusiasts, for their quality.

that's what i was saying. edit: no wait... that's what i was THINKING

what i wouldn't do for a 1970s Yamaha SG or Ibanez Artist doesn't bare thinking about
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
that's what i was saying.

what i wouldn't do for a 1970s Yamaha SG or Ibanez Artist doesn't bare thinking about

amen brother. my first guitar was a late 70s yamaha sg. i've had 2 more higher models since. great guitars. anyone wanting a Les Paul Studio should seek them out. I didn't pay more than $550 for either of my recent 80's yamaha SGs.

we side by sided with a bunch of pauls. the only ones that we agreed were as good or better started with an "R".
Quote by gregs1020
i paid less than $500 for the guitar.

then i shoved a set of lollar dirty black face pups in there. so all in all i'm at about $750-800.

That's really good if you ask me, for a strat made in japan. And that finish is rare on any strat these days, really adds to the appeal.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.