So, I just want to hear what everyone thinks of the various bass brands that there are, pros and cons, all that good stuff. Just for the sake of discussion, and to keep the young little bassists from sneaking off to adult websites so late at night.

So, all I can comment on is that I like ESP's basses, they're pretty good and I like how even though some of them are a bit heavier than other basses I've played, the weight is more evenly distributed, plus the neck is super easy to slide up and down.

Yamahas are cool, but the one I played had a thick neck. Kinda felt like I had a log in my hand.

So yeah.....discuss!
Yamaha's compared to ESP's is just odd. Yamaha goes from bottom end, middle end, then super top end! ESP's are distributed better when it comes to build and price. I've never played a really nice Yamaha, just some..$200 bass that was really awkward to play. I like ESP's a lot. My favorites are the Viper bass, the Eclipse bass, the Phoenix bass and Henkka Blacksmith's signature (Cause I love CoB <3). The only problem I have with ESPs is that people want them because the F series looks "Metal", and I hate when people base things of the look.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
love fender and squier jazz (havent found one yet i havent liked in terms of sound, feel, and looks), love everything about ricks, liked the sound and feel esp and ltd (all i've tried anyway...).

i wasn't much of a fan of ibanez's low to mid range basses. i cant remember all the ones i've played, but a bandmate had one before. it was about $800 CND. it was so boomy on stage that he sold it after only three shows and reverted back to his squier as his second bass (his first being a custom made bass by a local luthier that he spent over $2400 for). the squier sounded much better than the ibanez.

i'm a guitarist firstly, but i play quite a bit of bass (dont own my own since i'm quite poor, but i can outplay many bassists i've met)
Hmmm, is this a versus thread? I can't really tell. Or is it just a discussion about who likes what brands (out of the countless brands out there).

To contribute, I'll say I like graphite-necked (and all graphite basses), including Zon's, Modulus's, Steinbergers (not the new Synapse's), Status's, etc. I love the feel of a graphite neck, it just feels better to my hands. Love Fender, Dingwall, Warwick, and G&L. Never found a bass from any of those companies that didn't feel great.

Don't really like Gibson's, Rickenbacke'rs, BC Rich's, Schecter's or ESP's, but its all personal preference really. Never played a single bass from any of 'em that I'd ever consider buying, just too uncomfortable.

EDIT: I'll throw in that I've developed a taste for necks ranging from medium to baseball bat in thickness. The thin little necks just don't do it for me anymore (the likes such as Ibanez).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Nolanrox
Yamaha's compared to ESP's is just odd. Yamaha goes from bottom end, middle end, then super top end! ESP's are distributed better when it comes to build and price. I've never played a really nice Yamaha, just some..$200 bass that was really awkward to play. I like ESP's a lot. My favorites are the Viper bass, the Eclipse bass, the Phoenix bass and Henkka Blacksmith's signature (Cause I love CoB <3). The only problem I have with ESPs is that people want them because the F series looks "Metal", and I hate when people base things of the look.

I think if I got a really good Yamaha I would recast my decision, but till then it stands.

I personally like the B series better. Still looks totally metal, but not so much that it's just ridiculous. I like the sleeker looks instead of the whole spiky shit.

Which is why I'm more likely to buy an ibanez before a BC Rich.

Oh, BC Rich vs Ibanez.

Ibanez completely blew BC Rich away. Neck was amazing, pickups rocked the whole house, didn't even feel like the bass was there it was so light, and it had a sick body style that wasn't overdone. BC Rich, on the other hand. Ugh. Heavy as ****, the thing stabbed me somehow, and that was annoying. Muddy at the low low end, which is what I love to play. The thing kinda reminded me of a dead fish, somehow.

Don't ask.
Last edited by SMbassist at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by User_Name336
love fender and squier jazz (havent found one yet i havent liked in terms of sound, feel, and looks), love everything about ricks, liked the sound and feel esp and ltd (all i've tried anyway...).

i wasn't much of a fan of ibanez's low to mid range basses. i cant remember all the ones i've played, but a bandmate had one before. it was about $800 CND. it was so boomy on stage that he sold it after only three shows and reverted back to his squier as his second bass (his first being a custom made bass by a local luthier that he spent over $2400 for). the squier sounded much better than the ibanez.

i'm a guitarist firstly, but i play quite a bit of bass (dont own my own since i'm quite poor, but i can outplay many bassists i've met)

Squier sounding better than Ibanez? As for the too boomy thing, Maybe he should have messed around with his settings or something, or just turned it down a bit, I dunno. (But IMO, there is no such thing as bass that is too boomy. my dream is to be able to use bass as a sonic weapon on the battlefield, shattering buildings and stuff. :P)

I played a friend's Squier. That thing is so messed up. The action is all screwed up, the neck was warped, and no matter how many times he fixed the truss rod, or took it in to the shop to get it fixed, it kept bending. Plus it was mega ****in heavy. We later smashed it The Who style and erased it's memory in flames.

But glad to ehar that it worked out for your friend.
Quote by Tostitos
Hmmm, is this a versus thread? I can't really tell. Or is it just a discussion about who likes what brands (out of the countless brands out there).

To contribute, I'll say I like graphite-necked (and all graphite basses), including Zon's, Modulus's, Steinbergers (not the new Synapse's), Status's, etc. I love the feel of a graphite neck, it just feels better to my hands. Love Fender, Dingwall, Warwick, and G&L. Never found a bass from any of those companies that didn't feel great.

Don't really like Gibson's, Rickenbacke'rs, BC Rich's, Schecter's or ESP's, but its all personal preference really. Never played a single bass from any of 'em that I'd ever consider buying, just too uncomfortable.

EDIT: I'll throw in that I've developed a taste for necks ranging from medium to baseball bat in thickness. The thin little necks just don't do it for me anymore (the likes such as Ibanez).

I'm not a big fan of Gibson either, just the Thunderbird. Don't like the shapes and necks on Rick's. I've played one good BC Rich. I HATED my Schecter with a passion. And I've only played HIIIGH end ESPs. I've always wondered about Modulus' though. I've only seen the Modulus Flea bass at local shops and they're PRICEY. They just seem so...technical. So many knobs and it's just...meh. I heard G&L's are nice, but their low end are pretty bad (from what I've read) and their high ends are super pricey.

I'm a huge Ibanez fan boy. I like the SR series, just not the low end ones because the pick ups and electronics just piss me off beyond believe. I've played many many Ibanez's. From the SR to the JTKB. I like most of them. Especially the ATK <3 and the PGB1 <333
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by Nolanrox
I've always wondered about Modulus' though. I've only seen the Modulus Flea bass at local shops and they're PRICEY. They just seem so...technical. So many knobs and it's just...meh. I heard G&L's are nice, but their low end are pretty bad (from what I've read) and their high ends are super pricey.

G&L's are a bit pricey, but used they go for around the same as used MIA Fenders ($900 give or take). The more budget-conscious line, the Tributes, are actually quite good (at least from my experience). They're sort of an in-between bass, they're much better then mid-level basses in the $500-$600 range, but not quite as good as anything you'd find for $800-$900+. If you go used, the Tributes are a lot of bang for your buck.

Modulus are quite expensive, but you get what you pay for. Composite necks can be somewhat of an acquired taste, but the quality is fantastic, especially on the Quantum's. The reason for the high sticker price is the necks, they're not cheap to make. They look sexy as all hell though
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I like feel of thin and med-thick necks so it's Ibanez and ESP for me.

I dislike Epiphone,Gibson, and Rickenbacker for the necks and tone.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
I like Yamaha basses, but especially the BB415 in tangerine Orange. Gibson don't really do good basses, and Fender's are great. Musicman are good, but my favourite would probably be a the Yamaha. Does anyone know if £300 is a good price for an 80's BB415?
Quote by 09phillt
Gibson don't really do good basses, and Fender's are great.

The Gibson basses are good, its just that most of them look horrible IMO, and the Thunderbird can be hit and miss, but mostly I think they are great. You just sound like a Fender fanboy there, because a Gibson Grabber bass is vastly superior to a Fender Standard P Bass. Now a higher and Fender bass may be different, but you havent really explained that.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
For my part, i love Warwick and Rickenbacker.

I play with a Warwick streamer stage 1 and it s awesome.
But it depend to the different tasks of people

You have to try different bass and you will have your opinion
I'm going to take this as a "your opinion on all brands" thread.

Fender:
My preferred brand (despite owning an Ibanez). They all sound great, very good quality control, look great in my opinion and they are very cheap. I've played every single 'tier' of Squier and Fender and the only disappointment was the MIM Jazz. The MIA jazz was the finest instrument I've ever played.

Ibanez:
Not quite on par with Fender but seriously good quality at very good prices. Along with Squier they make the best entry-level basses. I prefer classic shapes but Ibanez manage to make modern shapes that don't suck.

Epiphone:
Watch out for any Thunderbird other than the Pro series. Other than that Epiphones are surprisingly good. I particularly liked the EB3.

Lakland:
ZOMGWTFHAX. I would want one but the price puts me off. Never owned one but I try them out every time I go to the guitar shop.

Warwick:
Only had the pleasure of playing one once (single humbucker Fortress). Big chunky neck and probably the best tone I've heard. Shame all but the most expensive (ltd ed models) are seriously ugly with no decent finishes.

Yamaha:
Only played the cheaper models but they're really good for the money. Yamaha seems to combine aspects of Fender and Ibanez to some success. I would rather just have a Fender or an Ibanez though.

Fleabass:
Urgh, what the hell. Bad quality control, pickup needs replacing. £400 for a piece of junk. Avoid.

Stagg:
If you see one of these, set fire to it for the sake of humanity.
I am going to change the title of this thread to avoid the "no vs" rule.

Now onto the meat of the thread. I've tried to stick to the commercially available models.

I am fan of the children of Leo. I love Fenders, Musicman and G and Ls. I own a Stingray and I hope one day to own MIA Precision Bass. The G & Ls I've played have been nice as well.

Ibanez is good value for the money and I always recommend them to beginning bass players. My SR800 is a great utility bass and works well in many situations. I would put most Yamahas in this category as well.

Lakland. Oh my. I would kill a small woodland animal in sacrifice to own a Duck Dunn Sig.

Warwick. Great basses but not my cuppa as a bassist. With the exception of the Star bass. Oh I seriously GAS for one of those babies.

Gibsons are low on my totem pole. They basically took guitar models and made them into basses. And they are so overpriced that they are well out of most young musicians reach. And Epiphone suffers from poor QA and the same build issues. I love my AccuBass, but it has its faults and its become a yearly mod project to fix those.

Deans. I would burn these as the sacrificial fire for the above Lakland. Hell I'd build a huge pyre if they let me. Badly built, shoddy all round and they even managed to exploit the name of a dead guitarist to sell their bass line.
Musicman, Lakland, and G&L are my favorites. They all feel so natural when I play them, and are extremely versitale to boot. Can go from raunchy to smooth with no problems.

Ibanez are probably my least favorite, I dont really like the thin necks or the thin body. IMO a bass sounds best with a little more mass.
On the subject of Ibanez, has anyone had a chance to try out the new ones (the SRT's and SRA's)? I keep seeing ads for them but haven't had the chance to try one.

Also does anyone have any experience with a Rick Turner? I have the chance to try one on monday but I'm curious as to what other people have to say.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Does anyone here know about the jackson basses? I know they make them, but I can't really find out much about them.
Here's my list of stuff I've played.

Like (in order of most liked to least liked):
MTD
Fender
Rickenbacker
Ibanez
Schecter
Squier
Yamaha

Dislike (in order of most hated to least hated):
Dean
Epiphone
Gibson

Specifics:

MTD - I played a 5 string one and it was pure sex. Maybe it was just one awesome bass, but I want a MTD Kingston KZ badly now.
Fender - Every single Fender bass I've played was good. Nice and big, and really nice necks.
Rickenbacker - Can't beat the tone.
Ibanez - Good reliable basses for not much money.
Schecter - The necks would be better natural, but they still make good basses.
Squier - Not as good sounding as Fenders, and maybe a little smaller, but still pretty good for the money.
Yamaha - Played one once, it wasn't bad.

Dean - Terrible. I couldn't even play it because it buzzed on every single fret on every single string. Plus it was ridiculously big and uncomfortable.
Epiphone - Muddy, uncomfortable, and not worth the price tag.
Gibson - Felt about the same as the Epiphone, but a little less mud. Really not worth the price tag.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Tostitos
On the subject of Ibanez, has anyone had a chance to try out the new ones (the SRT's and SRA's)? I keep seeing ads for them but haven't had the chance to try one.

Also does anyone have any experience with a Rick Turner? I have the chance to try one on monday but I'm curious as to what other people have to say.

Rick Turner is literally a stone throw from where I work. One of my good work friends husband works for his company.

His basses are wonderful and worth the cash. Stanley Clarke had Rick make him a few--that should speak for itself.
^ If its good enough for Stanley Clarke its good enough for me

I'll report back with a mini-review on Monday. I'm headed to Bass Northwest in the afternoon. The try-list so far consists of the Zon I'm eying, a Rick Turner, my favorite Steiny, and a few Roscoe's. It's gonna be a good day
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
i havent tried alot of brands,
my favourite bass would be the Ibanez SR, really awesome especially the prestige ones, they look goodand play awesome
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally