I'm the guitarist / singer in a pretty new band (we've been around for about 4 months, and we're all pretty new to our instruments). Originally, I was simply the guitarist, but singers are so hard to find around here that I volunteered to sing as well.

Now, my voice isn't that great. I've never had singing lessons, but we recently played a battle of the bands event at our school and I got no negative comments on singing (whilst over groups did). However, I don't think I can sing and whenever I listen to a recording of my singing, I cringe.

Also, I don't like singing. I like playing guitar, to the extent that I'd happily practise all day simply because I love the instrument. But I hate singing. I hate practising singing, and I hate singing in front of people. Another thing is that I don't enjoy singing and playing guitar at the same time. I'd rather focus solely on my guitar playing, but since I have to sing as well I have to limit myself to pretty simple things on the guitar.

So here's my problem. I really want to go back to being just the guitarist, but there are literally no singers around here that would fit with the style we play (which isn't anything outlandish or obscure). I don't want to seem selfish, as I know it may literally be the end of our band if I go back to just guitar and we can't find a singer, and I don't want to disappoint my band mates as they're two of the best friends I've ever had.

So, what do you think I should do?
Quote by JackMorris
I'm the guitarist / singer in a pretty new band (we've been around for about 4 months, and we're all pretty new to our instruments). Originally, I was simply the guitarist, but singers are so hard to find around here that I volunteered to sing as well.

Now, my voice isn't that great. I've never had singing lessons, but we recently played a battle of the bands event at our school and I got no negative comments on singing (whilst over groups did). However, I don't think I can sing and whenever I listen to a recording of my singing, I cringe.

Also, I don't like singing. I like playing guitar, to the extent that I'd happily practise all day simply because I love the instrument. But I hate singing. I hate practising singing, and I hate singing in front of people. Another thing is that I don't enjoy singing and playing guitar at the same time. I'd rather focus solely on my guitar playing, but since I have to sing as well I have to limit myself to pretty simple things on the guitar.

So here's my problem. I really want to go back to being just the guitarist, but there are literally no singers around here that would fit with the style we play (which isn't anything outlandish or obscure). I don't want to seem selfish, as I know it may literally be the end of our band if I go back to just guitar and we can't find a singer, and I don't want to disappoint my band mates as they're two of the best friends I've ever had.

So, what do you think I should do?

What is your kind of music?
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Just actively search for a singer, and keep singing until you find one.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by GangsterLi
What is your kind of music?

Sort of like a mix between Foo Fighters, Feeder and Porcupine Tree.

Quote by YngwieLi
Just actively search for a singer, and keep singing until you find one.

I think that's what I'm going to do, but I'm not really sure where to search. I was thinking about maybe those websites that let you search for band members?
Keep at it until you find someone. You may find that, as you get better at it, that you start to enjoy it.

Also, by keeping at it, your band becomes a bit more of a known quantity. There ARE singers out there. They're just so in demand that they can be picky about who they work with. For me, as a singer, if I'm looking for a band and there is one that I've never heard of that has never gigged, and another with shows lined up and are a presence on the local scene, it's really a no-brainer as to which one I would call up.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.