Page 1 of 2
Hello UG!

So I've just been looking into some new guitars as I've had mine for quite some time. I'm not going to buy a new one (I own a Peavey Wolfgang Special EVH) just yet, just looking around!

The bands whose guitar tone I love is; Periphery (gotta love how all those notes really get through, you hear every single one), Veil of Maya (same here) and Parkway Drive. They all have this thing, when you can hear every single note, regardless if there's a lot of gain and heavy chords behind them. I know that it's a lot about the amp and eq's, but you get the idea! I also want to be able to play with really low string action.

The most important thing, apart from how it sounds of course, is that I DO NOT want a "damn my guitar has so many spikes and shit because I'm so metal and br00tal" Like this one, no. I don't want any special shapes, just regular, but with that little extra thing. The most beautiful guitar I've ever seen is the caparison dellinger series, like this one.. So pretty much, that's the shape and color (I love the oiled tree) that I'm after!

Budget: I'd say around 1.200$ (I live in Sweden so the prices might be very different, but just shoot! I'll take everything in consideration!)
Used: Yes would really like to go used, if I can find it used that is.
Floyd rose: Doesn't really matter, I don't use a whammy!
Tuning: Drop C, always.

Thanks a lot UG, if there's any other things that I've forgotten to say, please fill me in!
Last edited by Panikak at Jul 17, 2010,
ibanez rgd series

it has a longer scale length so you can use the drop tunings without having to completely setup the guitar
Extended lenght is probably great for me as I have LONG spider-like fingers I'll look into it.

Also, what pickups should I be looking at? The ones that I've thought about is:

EMG 81/85 - Perhaps a little hyped, "everyone uses them"?
Bare Knuckle Painkillers and something else - I think Bulb/Misha Mansoor from periphery uses these. Interesting.
Seymour Duncan - Heard lots of good stuff about them!
What amp do you use?
Note clarity and tone are mostly going to come from the amp. If you get a bitchin sweet guitar but still play through a low end amp it won't sound like you want it to
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt
What amp do you use?
Note clarity and tone are mostly going to come from the amp. If you get a bitchin sweet guitar but still play through a low end amp it won't sound like you want it to

A bugera 6262-212, so the amp isn't that bad I'd say Not the best, but yeah.

Btw, that RGD on the picture up there is in a quite perfect price level, so use that one as reference. (Looking at thomann.de)
Haha, as soon as I read this, I was going to recommend an Ibanez RGD.

Also, I think you should get the EMG pickups, regardless if "everyone uses them". They will be really good, if not the best for that articulation and clarity you're looking for. And like they say: there's a reason everyone uses them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's also a Prestige Ibanez! That means it was build in Japan with high quality materials and it comes with a case...

The only things you need to replace are the pickups as Ibanez always puts junk on their guitars regarding pickups. Bareknuckles are custom handwound pickups - you can't get better than that. I have some sets by Bareknuckle and the tone and clarity suprises me every time.
For extreme Metal the EMGs work great aswell - so many people use them because they get the Job done!
Okay, so I've got some votes for the RGD (the blue one up there is damn cool). But if I get that one, I'll have to change pickups because the ones on are stock ibanez ones, right?

Any more opinions?
Quote by Panikak
Okay, so I've got some votes for the RGD (the blue one up there is damn cool). But if I get that one, I'll have to change pickups because the ones on are stock ibanez ones, right?

Any more opinions?

Not all stock pickups on Ibanez's are bad. In fact, the ones that come on Prestige models are quite good (as far as stock pickups go, at least).

Try the guitar through your amp first and see how it sounds. If it's still lacking, then get new pickups, but you never know if it'll be good or not unless you try it.

The RGD's have new Ibanez pickups that haven't been used before, so don't listen to what people say about them, since it's almost certain that they've never heard them before.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ESP horizon nt-ii
Musicman john petrucci model

Also check out Mayones guitars. U might be able to get a used one.
http://www.mayones.com/
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
ESP horizon nt-ii
Musicman john petrucci model

Also check out Mayones guitars. U might be able to get a used one.
http://www.mayones.com/

The Horizon is abit expensive I think and I couldn't find any used Maytones here in Sweden, though they look good. Thanks for the input though!

So far, the Ibanez RGD2120 looks so awesome - pricewise, the specs on it, the look - so it's the leading one so far. Keep it coming though!

Any more opinions about the new Ibanez RGD pickups, has anyone tried them out?
TS, check this out.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD321

It's not Prestige, but it has a fixed bridge, and it has those new pickups I was talking about. I see now that the prestige does have the V7/V8, so I spoke a bit incorrectly.

Bit this is the only RGD so far that has a fixed bridge. And I don't even think it's out yet.

Just something to consider.

Or if you still want the Prestige for all it's Prestigey goodness, just block the trem I guess.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
TS, check this out.

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD321

It's not Prestige, but it has a fixed bridge, and it has those new pickups I was talking about. I see now that the prestige does have the V7/V8, so I spoke a bit incorrectly.

Bit this is the only RGD so far that has a fixed bridge. And I don't even think it's out yet.

Just something to consider.

Or if you still want the Prestige for all it's Prestigey goodness, just block the trem I guess.

All right, hm, so what's the difference from those bridges? I don't have that much knowledge about different bridges etc! But damn, it looks sleek...
Well, you said you don't use trem, so getting a guitar with a floyd would be pointless.

But at the same time, if you only ever use drop C, then it'd be okay, and it'd be there if you ever wanted to use it.

So the choice is really up to you.

Between the RGD321 and the RGD Prestige, the specs are pretty much the same, the Prestige will just have much better quality materials used.

The RGD321's finish is really sleek though, you're right. I want to own one for when I play death metal one day.

If you do decide to go the prestige route, read the FR sticky, and learn how to setup the bridge/block it, if you want to do that.

I can see how it'd be a hard choice though. At least for me anyway. The 321 looks damn good.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Well, you said you don't use trem, so getting a guitar with a floyd would be pointless.

But at the same time, if you only ever use drop C, then it'd be okay, and it'd be there if you ever wanted to use it.

So the choice is really up to you.

Between the RGD321 and the RGD Prestige, the specs are pretty much the same, the Prestige will just have much better quality materials used.

The RGD321's finish is really sleek though, you're right. I want to own one for when I play death metal one day.

If you do decide to go the prestige route, read the FR sticky, and learn how to setup the bridge/block it, if you want to do that.

I can see how it'd be a hard choice though. At least for me anyway. The 321 looks damn good.

Yeah, paying extra for something that I wont have any use of (FR) seems pointless. However, the fact that the RGD is a lot cheaper (read 600$ somewhere) worries me a little. I guess that the pickups will be quite bad aswell as the guitar overall is "cheap", so a pickup change will be needed. However, it will be cheaper than the Prestige anyway.

But then again - would it be an upgrade from my current guitar? I guess it would fit my playing style more with the extended neck lenght etc. It's indeed a tough one!
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Quote by holycow

Yeah I know my current guitar has FR.

I actually have no idea whats good and whats bad, so if you have any thoughts on why this or that guitar would fit, please describe
No, it wouldn't be an upgreade, per se.

But, it may be much better for you, if that style/brand of guitar fits you better.

I never say this, but in your case, I think it'd be best to get the Prestige and block the trem. That way you'll have an amazing guitar, you won't be getting anything less quality than what you already have - I think it'd probably even be better quality. Ibanez Prestige's are very good guitars, especially for their price.

The only other alternative I can think of would be to either get a Baritone guitar, or wait until next year, since Ibanez will almost certainly release new RGD models in more finishes.

Are you familiar with Agile? This might interest you.
http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000tbl.html
It comes with Blackouts, which might serve you well. You probably wouldn't even want to get EMG's, unless you don't like the passive feel to them, like me.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I was going to recommend an RG or RGD Prestige but I was beaten to the punch.

The Edge Zero is extremely easy to setup. I can go from Standard to Drop C in a minute. You're not delicately balancing anything. The only extra work is locking and unlocking the nut and rotating the knob in the back. It literally takes 20 extra seconds to do this. It's not much different than a fixed bridge. It also feels like a fixed bridge in the way that the bridge won't move unless you move the whammy bar. Plus, it'll stay in tunwe And you'll probably find it more comfortable due to the lower profile. You'll get a much better neck and wood with the RGD2120Z. It's not even worth considering the RGD321 if you're willing to spend the money for the RGD2120Z.
yeah +another 1 to RDG..

although If you could afford a Horus HGS it would be much better...costs 2500 though
That's some interesting opinions. Do I get lower string action with the FR or what do you mean?

Thing is, I won't tune up to standard, not even c standard. I'll be in drop c all the time, and if I of some reason want to go to lets say E standard, it can't be that hard.

So basicly - If i get the prestige, I pay extra for the FR BUT also for a higher quality guitar, am I right? That + a pickup change = I'll have a guitar that is of higher quality than my current one, and it'll suit my playing better as it's a "half-baritone"?

If I get the RGD, I'll get away quite a lot cheaper, even after a pickup change, but I'll have a guitar of worse quality which still suits my playing better.

I'll also add into consideration that the prestige looks nicer, lol. But it's indeed a tough one, I guess it all comes down to how much money I have.

BTW, is a pickup change NEEDED on the prestige? I mean, it's a prestige, high quality guitar, the pickups shouldn't be all that bad?

archenemyfan: If only I had the money
The pickup change isn't necessary, that's more of a further down the track thing if you're really unhappy with it's performance sound wise.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
You don't get lower action necessarily, but the bridge is lower profile and out of the way. My Edge Zero's baseplate is actually flush with the guitar's body. The saddles is the only thing above the body. The guitar becomes straighter due to angle of the lower profile. You'll get lower action due to the fretboard radius though.

The Prestige is much better quality. You'll get much better wood and the neck is a lot better. The neck is half of the reason to get an Ibanez, but they don't give you the good necks in the regular Ibanezes. Cheap basswood doesn't really sound good and that's what you're getting in the regular the RGD. If the Prestige didn't have a trem, it would only take about $150 off of the price which is the case with the fixed bridge RG Prestiges. There's a huge quality difference between Prestiges and regular Ibanezes.

Ibanez doesn't use good pickups on most of their guitars to keep costs down since they know people replace them most of the time. It's probably best to replace them at some point but it may not be necessary immediately.
All right, thanks a lot for the inputs. Yeah, I could change the pickups later on when I want to upgrade the guitar further. And from what I've heard, there's not a huge difference in tone when changing pickups so I guess I'll be fine with the stock ones for a while.

What the special thing with ibanez necks? The ones that I've tried (just random ones, I have no idea if they were good or bad) had so small necks that I couldn't barely play them with my long fingers. I can't really find the word, but it wasn't the lenght or the thickness of the neck, but the widht (say, the distance between the low e and the high e). Is this the case on the RGD prestige aswell? Because as I said, I have REALLY long fingers:p
Ibanez prestige, Jackson Soloist, ESP MH-1000, or ESP Eclipse (if you like the Les Paul style).

Also, I know you're not into the whole spiky guitar thing, but give the Ibanez Iceman and Jackson Kelly a try, they're actually really good guitars (and look unique as well).
You can get an Agile 7 string w/ a 30" neck, if you want to go the "erg" route.

Also +1 to Bare Knuckle Pickups, they sound amazing.

-1 to EMGs. Flat, sterile, and not at all good for leads, IMO.

An SG might be something you'd want to look into as well.
Quote by ultimateshreddr
Ibanez prestige, Jackson Soloist, ESP MH-1000, or ESP Eclipse (if you like the Les Paul style).

Also, I know you're not into the whole spiky guitar thing, but give the Ibanez Iceman and Jackson Kelly a try, they're actually really good guitars (and look unique as well).

Forgot to mention an Iceman!

Heaviest tone I've ever heard came out of an Iceman.
Quote by Nightgaunt
You can get an Agile 7 string w/ a 30" neck, if you want to go the "erg" route.

Not if he's in Sweden
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Not if he's in Sweden

Good point!

Go with an Ibby then, and throw some BKPs in it!
Aight! So if I were to put Bare Knuckles in for example the RGD2120 Prestige - what ones do I want? Checked their website and I can't say that I have any idea of what to buy, and whether it's worth the extra 100$ to get the calibrated set. Another question - lets say I buy a "6 String Painkiller humbucker - Calibrated Covered Set" for 210$, that's for 1 pickup only right? Which means that getting 2x Bare knuckles will cost me about the double compared to EMG 81/85.

Does anyone have any input regarding the neck of the Ibanez RGD2120 Prestige? Does it have the "thin ibanez neck" that many of their models have? And does that fit a guy with really long fingers, big hands?
Bear in mind that the prices on the BKP website are in GBP, so you're looking at about $300USD. If you buy a calibrated set, then as it suggests you get a set - 1 neck, 1 bridge.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Panikak
Aight! So if I were to put Bare Knuckles in for example the RGD2120 Prestige - what ones do I want? Checked their website and I can't say that I have any idea of what to buy, and whether it's worth the extra 100$ to get the calibrated set. Another question - lets say I buy a "6 String Painkiller humbucker - Calibrated Covered Set" for 210$, that's for 1 pickup only right? Which means that getting 2x Bare knuckles will cost me about the double compared to EMG 81/85.

bareknuckles cost double because they are twice as much better..period

email tim @ BKP and tell him the tone you're after..and he'll provide you with useful recomendations

Do you know what a "SET" means?

http://www.yourdictionary.com/set

Does anyone have any input regarding the neck of the Ibanez RGD2120 Prestige? Does it have the "thin ibanez neck" that many of their models have? And does that fit a guy with really long fingers, big hands?

it has the Usual wizard prestige 18-19 mm....and thats thin

Long fingers ...yeah
Big hands?nope..sorry..you will have to get a guitar with a thicker neck if you have big hands...I strongly suggest that you try out different guitars(from different brands)and then see whats fits you the best
Quote by Hidden Hippo
Bear in mind that the prices on the BKP website are in GBP, so you're looking at about $300USD. If you buy a calibrated set, then as it suggests you get a set - 1 neck, 1 bridge.

there was a place to buy BKP's in USA too..and If I can remember right,its actually cheaper to buy them from america...cant remember the name though

dave?
Quote by archenemyfan
bareknuckles cost double because they are twice as much better..period

email tim @ BKP and tell him the tone you're after..and he'll provide you with useful recomendations

Do you know what a "SET" means?

http://www.yourdictionary.com/set

it has the Usual wizard prestige 18-19 mm....and thats thin

Long fingers ...yeah
Big hands?nope..sorry..you will have to get a guitar with a thicker neck if you have big hands...I strongly suggest that you try out different guitars(from different brands)and then see whats fits you the best

No need to be rude man, a "set of strings" wouldn't be one string, it would be a SET of strings. And therefore I wondered if it would be the same with a "set of pickups" but I guess not.

The thin neck worries me a little. Will have to visit a music store and check stuff out. I don't think I can get the musicman guitar here in Sweden, unfortunately
Quote by archenemyfan
there was a place to buy BKP's in USA too..and If I can remember right,its actually cheaper to buy them from america...cant remember the name though

dave?

wasn't it axepalace?
http://www.axepalace.com/
Guitars
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Any more inputs? Any thoughts on ibanez necks for a guy with long, yet very thin, fingers?

EDIT:

Interesting, I just measured the dimensions on the neck of my Wolfgang (that I have had no problems with playing on with my large hands) and here are the results:

Width at 1st fret: Ibanez RGD2120 +3 millimeters compared to the wolfgang.
Width at last fret: The same, the Ibanez was maybe +1 mm.
Thickness at 12th fret: The wolfgang was +5mm compared to the ibanez.

So the thing that will be a change for me won't be a more narrow neck but a slightly thinner neck. Do you think that will be a problem?
Last edited by Panikak at Jul 18, 2010,
all i can say is i have longish fingers and steve vai`s fingers will make most players look physically inadequate, i find the necks on my ibbys very comfortable, i struggle with some monster stretches (more clarity than a physical problem) but you devlop your technique to get around this
Quote by Panikak
Any more inputs? Any thoughts on ibanez necks for a guy with long, yet very thin, fingers?

EDIT:

Interesting, I just measured the dimensions on the neck of my Wolfgang (that I have had no problems with playing on with my large hands) and here are the results:

Width at 1st fret: Ibanez RGD2120 +3 millimeters compared to the wolfgang.
Width at last fret: The same, the Ibanez was maybe +1 mm.
Thickness at 12th fret: The wolfgang was +5mm compared to the ibanez.

So the thing that will be a change for me won't be a more narrow neck but a slightly thinner neck. Do you think that will be a problem?

thats a BIIIIGGGG difference..most probably the Wizard prestige neck will be too thin for you...the width doesnt matter,if you have long fingers,a neck with a greater width would be more comfortable for you

thats why I recommended the BFR,it has almost the same neck width(I think) but the neck is a little thicker...not sure tho

phil?care to explain

you should prolly forget prestiges though,the JS would be more appropriate for you IMO
Page 1 of 2