Okay, so I'm fairly OK at guitar now, and I'm trying to work on my soloingskills as well as my speed in solo's, as thats where my biggest problem lies. Anyway, I watched this video of Synyster Gates (yes) and he showed this technique which he said something along the lines of "This is fairly easy once you get it, which should take you about a week". Now, I don't know what this technique is called, so any help would be nice. 'cause if I can find the name of the technique, I'm quite sure there will be some kind of guide to it here on the page. :p

Anyway, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lJZn8_hAJI - About 2:32 in or so.

Thanks in advance!
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
it sounds like some basic pentatonic riff, just in superhuman speeds. should't be that hard to figure by ear
Im not too sure if this is right or not, but it could be similar. I saw a lesson once where they did something almost identical, with a pentatonic minor scale. it was something like this

B --1--4--1----1--4--1--
G ------------3-----------3

Played anywhere on the fretboard, it might just be something like that, either hammer-ons/pull-offs on the B string or pick them all individually. Sounds cool
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Learning from someone who plays dull-as-**** generic metalcore is always a bad idea, particularly if you're looking at learning specific techniques.

Have this band grown at all since Unholy Confessions, really? In all honesty? No, they haven't. They were writing generic D Minor metalcore then, they're writing generic D Minor metalcore now.
^ Being a prick on an internet forum is always a bad idea, particularly if you're doing so because of a superiority complex.

That said, what was shown in the video was - as Chainsaw said - a lick (in this case, a repeated two-string pattern) performed with strict alternate picking.
As with anything though, start practicing this slowly, with minimal tension, minimal movement, and with a solid natural tone (all notes sounding clearly, consistent rhythm, and consistent pick-attack with added dynamics only when wanted) and you'll be good to go; don't expect to run at those speeds in a week though! It'll take a lot of practice and playing in general to reach those levels, but you could get the lick itself without much trouble.

Best of luck,

Alex
Last edited by juckfush at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
^ Being a prick on an internet forum is always a bad idea, particularly if you're doing so because of a superiority complex.

That said, what was shown in the video was - as Chainsaw said - a lick (in this case, a repeated two-string pattern) performed with strict alternate picking.
As with anything though, start practicing this slowly, with minimal tension, minimal movement, and with a solid natural tone (all notes sounding clearly, consistent rhythm, and consistent pick-attack with added dynamics only when wanted) and you'll be good to go; don't expect to run at those speeds in a week though! It'll take a lot of practice and playing in general to reach those levels, but you could get the lick itself without much trouble.

Best of luck,

Alex

I see, thanks man. Most appreciated, also thanks to the others who gave replies related to the topic. ^^
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
He says pretty much exactly what it is right there in the video. A two-string economy/sweep without legato.

D  D  U  D  U  U  D  D  U  D  U  U

----10-13-13-10-------10-13-13-10----
-13-------------13-13-------------13-
-------------------------------------
404: Sig not found.
Quote by LessThanLuke
Learning from someone who plays dull-as-**** generic metalcore is always a bad idea, particularly if you're looking at learning specific techniques.

Have this band grown at all since Unholy Confessions, really? In all honesty? No, they haven't. They were writing generic D Minor metalcore then, they're writing generic D Minor metalcore now.

I don't know how open minded of a person Luke is, but you're living up to your username,
Quote by LessThanLuke

Um...I'm not an Avenged Sevenfold fan really, but this is just plain naive.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by ChrisN
He says pretty much exactly what it is right there in the video. A two-string economy/sweep without legato.

D  D  U  D  U  U  D  D  U  D  U  U

----10-13-13-10-------10-13-13-10----
-13-------------13-13-------------13-

Agreed.
As Syn pointed out, it's the right hand, economy style picking.
the down and ups basically save movement.
there's a good few lessons on UG and other sites about it.
TBH it's not necessary to learn, the majority of shredders are happier alternating.
Still, I do both.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"