Every time i barre it mutes half of my string any tips on maybe strengthing my hand or anything else to help me
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
Yeah, I'd like to know too. I'm having the same troubles
Steam ID
XFire profile

Quote by Delboyuk_01
I don't think you can go wrong with a Black guitar, white ones are almost as good but black ones are better, white ones just don't sound quite as good.
Press a little harder, and roll your index finger so the side in pressing down on the strings rather than the bottom.

Also play each note one at a time to find out which ones aren't ringing out.
shorten the strap. the lower your guitar is the more strain it puts on your wrist to do barre chords properly and also the angle is wrong. but if you raise it so your elbow on your strumming hand is around 90degrees then your fretting hand will have no issues reaching around the fretboard, then slowly but surely (over a couple of months) lower your strap to where you want because the more you practise the more used to the angles your wrists will get. that's how i did it anwyay.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
You just gotta practice, no way out of it. Start with power chords, or whatever its called when you just play the bottom two notes of the barre chord with your 1st and 3rd fingers, and work your way up.
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Haha I just checked my index finger barre callous and I got a blister forming there... christ. But yeah, everyone else pretty much covered it. I will say the short strap thing is super useful, in fact I just keep mine short because it really does give you a much better angle to have the neck raised even though you don't "look like a guitar player". Figure out which strings aren't ringing out and press harder, it'll work eventually.
Nothing to say really apart from press harder. It will hurt, it always will. But when it's hurting you know that you're building up strength, just don't overdo it till your wrist goes limp like a bender! Or you'll do serious damage.

After you get to the stage of barring easily, you'll think back and wonder how you struggled with it in the first place
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
You gotta turn those sissy hands into guitar playing hands. Just keep at it.

Also, a C major barre chord at the 8th fret is going to be much easier than an F major on the first fret.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
try playing barre chords further up the fret board for practice as you wont need as much pressure on the strings and the finger stretch is not as stretching and will make it easier to play. Try up on the 7th fret and move down as you progress
Start with a full barre at say the 6th string, 5th fret (A). Next form an Am7 chord...barre doesn't move but you add a finger at the 5th string 7th fret. From there it's relatively easy to turn that into an Am....fretting the 4th string at the 7th fret. You should be able to fret that using the same finger you used for the Am7...in most cases the third or ring finger. (If not, don't lose any sleep over it...it will happen soon enough.) When you're ready, stick that middle finger into the mix...one fret between (in this case the 6th) on the 3rd string and you'll have an A.

By doing that you will have built up those chords in a progression that doesn't have you sliding up and down the neck just yet. After you can comfortably play those three chords, go ahead and move your hand up or down a couple of frets.

You can also buy yourself a little time by using an open strum in between changes... Think of strumming it this way: chord chord open chord chord. That can really help as well.

Finally, if it's the other fingers that are giving you fits...make the same chord patterns using the nut as the barre. In other words, instead of A, you're chords will be Em7,Em and E. Doing it that way will help get your coordination up and then all you'll have to do is add the barre...you could even practice that by placing your finger across the nut so that you still get the feel of it.
===============
Volunteer Abroad in Ghana
Stag Do Ideas
All i saw was everyone saying press harder. Wrong.

What you need to do is place your finger where it will hit every note cleanly. If your action is set up right this should be simple to achieve without having to break your hands and pressing down like the Incredible Hulk.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
All i saw was everyone saying press harder. Wrong.

What you need to do is place your finger where it will hit every note cleanly. If your action is set up right this should be simple to achieve without having to break your hands and pressing down like the Incredible Hulk.

True. You might want to take a look at your action. I have mine to the lowest point possible without causing fret buzz, so naturally the action lowers a bit from my low e to my high. You might want to fiddle around with that.
Quote by Sooopo
You sir, have made my day awesome.

8/7/09

RIP Les Paul, I bet he's forming a kick-ass band up there to play The Great Gig in the Sky. Maybe we'll all have to use a Stairway to Heaven to go see them play. You know I'm funny.
Practice practice practice to build finger independence, strength and muscle memory. It used to be hard for me to do barre chords but after alot of practicing its real easy. And I roll my first finger slightly to the left so I'm barring it with the side sort of....keep practicing!!!
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II