First off I want to apologize if this has been posted before but i couldn't find anything to do with it.

I recently bought the Emg Zakk Wylde set (81/85) and decided to install it myself, its the first one i have ever done. I wired everything exactly how the diagram told me to, its the solderless kit so there were no bad solders or anything. But the pickup selector doesn't seem to do anything and either does the volume knobs.

The tone works fine and its picking up the sound but from both pickups and its incredibly bass-y. I dont understand whats wrong, especially with the volume knobs as the pickups need to go through them to work at all, and it is picking up sound...
I don't usually get involved with this kind of stuff since I never actually know what I'm doing. I get a pro to do it like at the guitar store.
I hate supersized Kartoffels
I was going to, i just really wanted to learn to do it myself. Anyway i re-wired my whole guitar and it works now, the jack wasn't wired properly :S

Thanks for the reply!
It don't think it is the issue but make sure you have 25k pots.

Recheck all your wiring again, if you pickups are working but the volume isn't you have either somehow managed to bypass the pot or you have a bad pot.

Check your pickup selector by setting it to the neck position and tapping on your neck pickup with a screw driver and tapping your bridge pickup with a screwdriver. If you hear a tap through your amp when you touch the neck but not the bridge then your selector is working as it should in that position. Try the same test in the middle position where you should hear a tap out of both pickups and in the bridge position where you should only hear the bridge. That should help you diagnose the problem.

Now head over to the Gear Building & Customizing forum and post your problem in the Ultimate Wiring thread. You will have a better chance of getting some help.

Edit: Also, I would not recommend seeing a pro unless you are completely baffled. You will learn a thing or two if you do it yourself and I feel that it is important for players to understand how the instrument they play works.
Last edited by colgo889 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by colgo889
It don't think it is the issue but make sure you have 25k pots.

Recheck all your wiring again, if you pickups are working but the volume isn't you have either somehow managed to bypass the pot or you have a bad pot.

Check your pickup selector by setting it to the neck position and tapping on your neck pickup with a screw driver and tapping your bridge pickup with a screwdriver. If you hear a tap through your amp when you touch the neck but not the bridge then your selector is working as it should in that position. Try the same test in the middle position where you should hear a tap out of both pickups and in the bridge position where you should only hear the bridge. That should help you diagnose the problem.

Now head over to the Gear Building & Customizing forum and post your problem in the Ultimate Wiring thread. You will have a better chance of getting some help.

Edit: Also, I would not recommend seeing a pro unless you are completely baffled. You will learn a thing or two if you do it yourself and I feel that it is important for players to understand how the instrument they play works.

The ZW kit ships with 25k pots, FYI.

Its most likely a pickup switch issue, I had to have EMG send me one, they will send you one they support for free.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
I was gonna say check the inout jack as that is usually the culprit.

BTW......are you on ultimate metal forum as snowy?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ