I have a Mac Book pro and i play through an acoutsic b200. What would be the easiest way to record my playing into garageband (doesn't have to be garageband just a similar app) while also playing through the amp? Do i just have to buy a cord or two or do i need a unit of some sort to record?
US TUBES
have a look in the recordings and riffs forum. this question gets answered at least a few times a week.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
at the very least you'll a quarter inch to eighth inch adapter, which you can then take the line out from your amp and use the adapter to plug into you computer. Then in garage band go to preferences, audio/midi, and set your audio input to built in input.

This is the simplest, but also lowest quality way to do it.

Edit: I think so anyway, I have an audio interface so I've never tried it that way, but it seems like it would have to work.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I used to just have a 1/4 adaptor on a 1/8 cord and plug it directly into the bass and the other into the computer.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by slaptasticdave
at the very least you'll a quarter inch to eighth inch adapter, which you can then take the line out from your amp and use the adapter to plug into you computer. Then in garage band go to preferences, audio/midi, and set your audio input to built in input.

This is the simplest, but also lowest quality way to do it.

Edit: I think so anyway, I have an audio interface so I've never tried it that way, but it seems like it would have to work.

It does work, but the quality is subpar. What do people use for higher quality sound?
US TUBES
microphones
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by CurlyFry
It does work, but the quality is subpar. What do people use for higher quality sound?

Without getting technical, which I'm not good at to begin with, your bass' signal and the
"line in" signal are incompatible. For higher quality you'll need to gat an audio interface.
Interfaces come in a variety of configurations and price points, so you'll need to do some research.
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_and_audio_interfaces.htm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=audio+interface&src=3WWRWXGG&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CO-IiJTL9aICFQs_gwod6EmEgw
I use a MOTU Ultralite to record sessions with friends here at home. The two short clips in my profile are recorded with bass/piano direct, and the drums miced through two 2 channel outboard preamps. Yeah, my recording technique leaves a bit to be desired.
Well the easiest way to record with an amp is to use your macbook built-in microphone simply by changing your garageband settings. Alternately you can use a simple 1/8 adapter and plug your bass directly into your macbook thereby cancelling out the amp, however garageband has many good amp models and effects. I use an M-audio product similar to "Fast track" and a combination of Garageband and Guitar Rig 2.
It's going to sound a thousand times better if you buy a cheap interface (line 6 makes perfect ones) and use an amp VST (Ampeg SVX is killer, I use it on all of my recordings).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
According to the internets, that amp has an XLR out. Get an audio interface that can support XLR in, get an XLR cable, and press record. You won't find a way to get a better quality sound without paying a lot more for good microphones, and this is a really easy setup.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Last edited by kamayzing at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by kamayzing
According to the internets, that amp has an XLR out. Get an audio interface that can support XLR in, get an XLR cable, and press record. You won't find a way to get a better quality sound without paying a lot more for good microphones, and this is a really easy setup.

Done. Sounds tits thx
US TUBES