So I'm tired of using multi-effects pedals and I want to start working on a pedal board. I know there's threads on this already, but I'm looking for different effects. The ones I'm looking to buy are a talkbox, distortion, wah, and an acoustic simulator. I want to know which ones you guys think are best. As for the talkbox I'm pretty set on getting Rocktron Banshee Amplified Talk Box unless someone can convince me otherwise. (If you don't think I should please tell me!) I play mostly music from the 60's and 70's so if you think there's any other effects I should get, please let me know.
For Those About to Rock I Salute You
Well, check out the Caitlinbread WIIO, it's a Hiwatt in a box type pedal and Hiwatt reminds me of the 60's and 70's.
Got any bands and a budget?
Also what amp do you have, what guitar do you play?
for distortion for a 60/70s sound, most of that should come out of the amp. Getting a nice british valve amp and then putting a boost pedal infront of the Pre-Amp will do wonders for that classic rock sound.

For wah, that time period there was really only one wah, the crybaby. But there are many different version of that wah AND there also many different other wahs that you should look into, for more metal sounding wahs u can look into the weeping demon or morley wahs.

The only acoustic simulator i know of is the boss ones. But since they're boss, the chances are that they're pretty average.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Not impressed with the acoustic simulator made by Boss. I was looking at buying one a few years ago. The more I listened to it, the more I disliked it. The sound was just too grainy and digital. I ended up buying a couple of Taylor acoustics, which, amazingly, sound like the real thing.

Also wanted to buy a talk box, since they're so cool. I'm a big Joe Walsh fan and, of course, Peter Frampton used them in a couple of songs. That was the whole problem. I couldn't justify spending the cash for an effect only used on a couple of songs. Make absolutely certain that the effects are something you'll want, want to use on a regular basis and are worth the price. In the end, I've got about a dozen pedals on my board, but not the two already mentioned.
A talkbox isn't hooked up like a regular pedal, it's really complex to hook one up.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Right now I'm playing an old Epiphone Les Paul, but in a couple weeks I'm buying a Fender Jaguar HH Electric Guitar and as for the amp, I'm also looking to buy a new one
But budget? There are some really low end 40 dollar ones and some great high end 300 dollar pedals
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
well I'm working now and although I really don't want to I'd spend up to $100 for a pedal, an amp I'm open to anything
Quote by KG6_Steven
Not impressed with the acoustic simulator made by Boss. I was looking at buying one a few years ago. The more I listened to it, the more I disliked it. The sound was just too grainy and digital. I ended up buying a couple of Taylor acoustics, which, amazingly, sound like the real thing.

Also wanted to buy a talk box, since they're so cool. I'm a big Joe Walsh fan and, of course, Peter Frampton used them in a couple of songs. That was the whole problem. I couldn't justify spending the cash for an effect only used on a couple of songs. Make absolutely certain that the effects are something you'll want, want to use on a regular basis and are worth the price. In the end, I've got about a dozen pedals on my board, but not the two already mentioned.

Actually, the only real wah back in the day was the Vox Clyde McCoy. Well, any of the Vox wahs were the most popular back in the day, because they were cheap and easy to find. Crybabies came a bit later, and did get popular, but unless you're pretty good with a soldering iron, stay away from a new Crybaby. They suck pretty badly unless they're modded.

I'd take a 535Q or a Fulltone Clyde/Clyde Deluxe (can be found cheap used), or an RMC Wheels of Fire or Wizard Wah (again used).
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Gord@k
A talkbox isn't hooked up like a regular pedal, it's really complex to hook one up.

Yeah, it's quite complex. Let me see if I can simplify it:

The talk box connects to your amp's external speaker output.

Did I miss anything there?
if by budget $40 pedals you mean Behringer or Danelectro, you should stay away. I used to have the Behringer Acoustic Simulator, and it was horrible (I gave it away)

but there are a few cheaper pedals for classic rock if you're on a budget. A Boss Super Overdrive shouldn't cost a whole lot new, and you can find tons of DOD Overdrive Plus's on eBay for as low as $15-$20 (but be sure to avoid it's deranged half-brother the Supra Distortion) And if you wan't something around the $100 range you coud try a MXR Disortion III, MXR GT-OD, or Keeley Modded DS-1

but your best bet for the long run would be to get a better amp. The Vox modelers shouldn't run you too much money. If you search eBay long enough you may find a deal on an old Fender tube combo

Also, some pedals you have not have thought about would be an EQ and a compressor to further shape your sound
Quote by stratman_13
Actually, the only real wah back in the day was the Vox Clyde McCoy. Well, any of the Vox wahs were the most popular back in the day, because they were cheap and easy to find. Crybabies came a bit later, and did get popular, but unless you're pretty good with a soldering iron, stay away from a new Crybaby. They suck pretty badly unless they're modded.

I'd take a 535Q or a Fulltone Clyde/Clyde Deluxe (can be found cheap used), or an RMC Wheels of Fire or Wizard Wah (again used).

Others may've used something else, but Joe Walsh used a Heil Talk Box. In fact, Heil built the box used by Walsh on the Barnstorm Tour. Heil also gave Frampton a Talk Box - the one used on his FCA Tour. Be careful not to confuse the Talk Box with the wah effect. While it's possible to get "wah" sounds out of a Talk Box, the two are distinctly different - not only in their sounds, but how they connect to your gear and you.
Instead of an acoustic simulator, would you be open to the idea (and moolah) of a piezo pickup installed on your guitar? they're about $50 more than the BOSS simulators, but they do a better job of making an acoustic-like sound.
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!
Quote by KG6_Steven
Others may've used something else, but Joe Walsh used a Heil Talk Box. In fact, Heil built the box used by Walsh on the Barnstorm Tour. Heil also gave Frampton a Talk Box - the one used on his FCA Tour. Be careful not to confuse the Talk Box with the wah effect. While it's possible to get "wah" sounds out of a Talk Box, the two are distinctly different - not only in their sounds, but how they connect to your gear and you.

I'm not confusing either; I'm fully aware of what a talkbox is, how to hook one up, and how to use one. Someone earlier had recommended that the TS grab a Crybaby because that was the only wah pedal back in the day. I was correcting him.

I personally don't see how anyone could ever want a talkbox... I think they're gross. Cool, but gross. I'd have to clean that shit every day. Just the thought of spit going down that tube....

ugh.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by julzius

For wah, that time period there was really only one wah, the crybaby.

What about the Vox wah? Lots of guys used Vox wah's in the 60's and 70's. Both Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page used Vox, and I when I think of sounds from those eras, those are two of the first to come to mind.

If you're after a 60's and 70's sound with stompboxes, I think you should stay away from digital and go analog (although they tend to be more expensive). I have a Danelectro Blue Paisley OD pedal that I love. They're not available any more, but if you see one used, pick it up!!! For a Hendrix sound, try out any Fuzz Face clone. You can pick them up for pretty cheap. I really like the English Muff'n for a classic rock sound. EHX also makes great analog delays (Memory Man, Memory Boy, etc.).

Check out Kijiji and Craigslist for used pedals. Sometimes you can find great deals, especially if people are selling many pedals as a lot. But be careful and try them out before you buy!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
wat about chorus or flangers? i listen to a lot of classic rock and you at least need a chorus, like a EH Small Clone
I bought the Dunlop Cry Baby Wah, my local guitar center had it on sale so I got it. I like it alot, I almost bought a talkbox but I think I'll get that last. Does anyone have a specific chorus, disortion, or flanger pedal I should get?