Hey gang

I have several guitars already, and I'm satisfied with my amp situation. I'm just feeling a bit of GAS these days. So let's consider:

What's the lowest-priced (new) guitar that you would consider perfect as-is? No pickup swaps, no trem replacements, no neck shaving or nut skimming or pot mods needed. Flawless finish, clear sound, solid construction.

It doesn't have to conform to any particular style, though I prefer at least one humbucker so any SSS guitars are out. 22 or 24 frets is likewise not a big deal. Floyd, vintage trem, or hardtail are all equally valid as well.

So, UG, what's the cheapest 'great' guitar out there?
hey danno!

what's "cheap" to you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
hey danno!

what's "cheap" to you?

Hey gregs!

See, that's the thing - I don't want to set a price point, I'm more interested in absolute quality. I was inspired by the $1000 difference between the Gibson Les Paul Standard and the (arguably superior) ESP Eclipse-II, and similar issues.
The ecplipse is good, but I definitely would not say it's superior to the Les Paul Standard
Rondo music carries a pretty good range of korean-made guitars, and if their higher-end guitars are nicer then their cheapest guitars, then they have to be really good.
Handbanana, why is that? Not challenging, I'd just like some insight.

Slaying, I have heard a lot of good things about Rondo's Agile collection, but I've also heard the electronics need work. Thoughts?
yo danno!

that's an awkward question... I'd consider the electronics on most cheaper guitars would need work, to be honest. I really don't like the lack of a treble bleed cap on the volume, though, so that's a big thing for me (note I've never actually got round to adding one, lol, I just mean ideally). And plenty of dearer guitars don't have them either because some people don't like them.

personally I normally keep my eye out for good deals, ex-demo/new old stock stuff. though you always wonder if they're new old stock because they weren't as nice as the other ones which did sell, lol.

Also it's very much personal preference, what's "good enough" for me might not be "good enough" for you and vice-versa.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Heya Dave!

Yeah, I figured it might be awkward, but it could also be a good discussion, which would be good too. Also, did you see the RG1570 is a thousand dollars now? When did that happen? Considering it was basically my go-to recommendation for a $750 metal guitar that needed a pup swap, back in the day..

How's your rig looking these days? I haven't really expanded in a few years...
yeah, ibanez prices here have gone up ridiculously here too. the yen has almost doubled against the pound, so all the good-value japanese stuff isn't as good value as it used to be.

I'd say look in my profile but i haven't updated my rig there in about 3 years, lol.

Last thing I got was a bc rich calibre classic mockingbird off thomann, euro made. They're discontinued, i noticed thomann had them, and yoink, bought it. Hard to go wrong for 659 euros
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
stuff like an ESP M-II would run about 900e cheapest used. But around 1000-1200e used. New about 1500-1600e. Thats the goodie for me. Also an LTD M-1000 isnt bad, just that I like the neater look of the M-II as the LTD Deluxe has the stupid binding... like a girl with too much make up on.
Ah, well done. I, on the other hand, broke my Crybaby trying to fix it. But it was always terrible. So I might also be in the market for a new wah.

Konkari, I agree with you completely. The stupid binding on the high-end LTDs makes me unwilling to pay full price for them, or just spend a bit more and get a Japanese-made ESP.
Last edited by Danno13 at Jul 17, 2010,
agreed on the ltds

thanks.

sorry to hear about the crybaby, i never got round to modding my crybaby either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
From scanning the company sites, it looks like there's a healthy resurgence in Vs and 7-strings lately, any standouts?
yeah brootz and hair metal is coming back. it's awesome.

I don't know much about 7 strings, I've never tried one (i have bad enough GAS as it is ). I haven't really tried too many Vs either... some of those jackson stars look quite nice, though with the current exchange rate it'd be prohibitive. Haven't tried them, but judging by the specs I'm assuming similar quality to the sl3. Ebony fretboard too, and the korean floyd rose. i don't think jackson offers a king v version of the sl3.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pretty darn subjective question there.

Jackson Pro series come to mind, if you like that kind of guitar. Good price, good quality, Seymour Duncans, trem is a liscensed floyd but seems pretty reliable. They have really thin necks, though, but again that's down to preference.
I do like that kind of guitar, my only issue is the licensed trem. Plus I currently have an SL2H.

The subjectivity is what makes it fun!

Side note about Jackson Floyds: The knife edges seem to hold up over time and use, but the hex screws that hold the strings in definitely wear down. So, better than Edge II/III, but still no Schaller OFR.
BC Rich seem to be making some "proper" guitars recently. I haven't tried any yet, but they look good on paper. Some have OFR's, but most of them have Rockfield pickups. Not sure if they're any good, but wouldn't hurt to try them out. They're probably better than the BDSM humbuckers or whatever they were called.

UNLEASH THE FUCKING EIGHTIES
I'm glad that guitar exists. It makes me happy with its sheer ridiculousness.
yeah the dearer pro series jacksons have the frt-x000s (as do the dearer jackson stars). they're supposedly korean-made to the same specs as the schaller (though this link would suggest otherwise: http://dellus.net/?tag=floyd-rose-tremolo ), so should be not to bad. And with any luck should be a direct swap with a schaller (though you'd want to find that out for sure).

But yeah i mean if you already have a jackson, you probably want a change, lol.

+1 on the bc rich sentiments which saski posted. I haven't tried them either, but on paper they look worth a look. thomann had some good deals on them too (though you might not still be in germany, you're probably at uni now). EDIT: bear in mind the bc riches also have those korean OFRs, as far as i'm aware. I don't like how they got rid of the dimarzios on the gunslinger, though. and they need to offer the yellow one (or even the discontinued) red with the angled bridge pickup and neck dimarzio blade. That would be awesome.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 17, 2010,
Does it really matter where a tremolo is made? I was under the (perhaps false) impression that most liscensed floyds (apart from the Ibanez ones) are similar in terms of design, but it's the material that they're made of that makes the difference.
OFR's are steel with hardened steel edges. LFR's can be anything. That's why the knife edges wear out and the screw threads are stripped quickly.

Or am I missing the point?
^I think that's the point; if it's made in (example) China or Indo, it's less likely to use high-quality steel, even if the design is the same.

Actually, Dave, I am in Germany for the summer (got a job here) but I'll be back in the States before I decide to buy anything.
Last edited by Danno13 at Jul 17, 2010,
yep, of course. i mean, i would trust an frt-x000 more than a random cheapo licensed floyd. i would consider a guitar with an frt-x000, especially if it could be ascertained that it's a direct swap for an ofr. But yeah, while hardened steel and a big sustain block are the main things, I mean I'm guessing there are different grades of hardened steel etc., and also from that link i posted the tolerances don't seem to be as tight as the schaller one.

EDIT: yeah i mean the guitars will probably be cheaper in the states, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 18, 2010,