I'm teaching myself how to play electric guitar without a pick. It may be inefficient, but I ultimately do not care because it allows me to enjoy playing. I started a couple of months ago on this little Fender Squier, but if I keep at it I'll buy myself a new guitar.

I listen to a lot of music; primarily indie rock and extreme metal, but also a lot of classical and classic rock. Whatever guitar I'm interested in would need to be fairly versatile. Before I buy a guitar I realise that I'll need to try it out and research it more thoroughly, so I only have a few preliminary questions regarding guitar selection: As one who uses their fingers as opposed to picks, would my ideal guitar change? Are there certain things that a fingerstyle guitarist looks for, which a normal guitarist wouldn't, and vice versa? What characteristics might a fingerstyle guitarist prefer and why?

All I really know so far is that I like thick and warm tones, and that I hate gloss finishes because it makes it more difficult for me to switch strings (I suppose I anchor my wrist on my guitar, to hold the guitar in place, and to make my playing more exact -- I probably shouldn't be doing this).
Something makes me want to suggest a Gretsch. They can do indie/classical and classic rock, not so sure about metal... Also they are warm sounding and I think they may do a satin glossed one.
Really you should just go try out all the guitars in your price range (or £100ish over it) and then see if you can get them cheaper used (if you don't mind used!)
I finger pick on a Hamer SATF that I sanded to make matt, really just find a guitar you enjoy playing.
let me tell you you dont need a pick
look at lindsey buckingham or mark knopfler.

as for gear its really what feels good to you

knopfler plays a fender strat and custom guitars, buckingham uses a very nice custom guitar

as you can see the pick up can be rotated so it dosent get in the way of his fingers.'

as for metal
Confide is a band, i know the old guitar player aaron and he only finger picks, its really weird.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Last edited by the_white_bunny at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by the_white_bunny
let me tell you you dont need a pick
look at lindsey buckingham or mark knopfler.

as for gear its really what feels good to you

knopfler plays a fender strat and custom guitars, buckingham uses a very nice custom guitar

Knopfler also used Schecters if memory serves, not sure which models though.
And as a fellow dabbler in fingerstyle guitar with a Squier Strat, I'd say a thicker guage of string than the standard 9-42s might be better, the B and top E strings were a bit difficult to play to start with for me, and still are more difficult than my classical which has thicker strings.
As for what models of guitars to use, you can't go far wrong with Stratocasters, they're used by great fingerstyle guitarists like Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore and as mentioned Mark Knopfler.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Another one is a Gibson/Epiphone SG, ala Derek Trucks

I play electric fingerstyle, it's great. Although I don't play metal, it's cool to see classical/flamenco acoustic guitarists shred as fast, if not faster than metal guitarists.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Quote by Crofty89
Knopfler also used Schecters if memory serves, not sure which models though.
And as a fellow dabbler in fingerstyle guitar with a Squier Strat, I'd say a thicker guage of string than the standard 9-42s might be better, the B and top E strings were a bit difficult to play to start with for me, and still are more difficult than my classical which has thicker strings.
As for what models of guitars to use, you can't go far wrong with Stratocasters, they're used by great fingerstyle guitarists like Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore and as mentioned Mark Knopfler.

jeff beck is another good one.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I rather like my Schecter for finger picking, due to a string spacing then most guitars I've played on. Feels good, and really sounds pretty nice to. Eventually Pick-up change might be nice though. I also play on a seven, so I'm not sure if its the same.
you can fingerpick on any guitar providing you can get your nails/tips between the strings and a wide radius neck helps......
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 18, 2010,
Enjoying your playing is of the greatest importance! That said however, I'm assuming from your post you havn't been playing guitar for terribly long and there is alot more that comes with deciding on a guitar. For me, finger picking is the same on a $50 P.O.S electric, to a $4000 classical guitar as far as the mechanics goes (almost) but the sound is very different.

Because of the quality.

There are so many choices, some more information would be useful for narrowing down your options. Assuming you get a solid body guitar with passive pickups you can normally play most things.

BUDGET?

Why do you feel you need another guitar? Maybe some new PUPs and a good setup would make your existing guitar more playable for you.
Guitars really aren’t more or less suited to finger picking. Setzer does it with Gretsh, everyone from Buddy Holly to Jeff Beck has used Strats, and Brent Hines plays banjo riffs on his Gibsons. As long as you practice you’ll be fine.
fender tele thinline with the humbuckers. or something like that. they have good spacing for finger style. my fingers always hit the middle pup on my strat when i finger pick.
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
You'd probably want F-spacing and a wider nut. I can play finger style on my Dean just fine, but it's not what I do all the time.