Hey all. i have a Yamaha Pacifica 112j, and whilst it is a budget guitar, I absolutely love playing it over my Epi Les Paul. it's so fun to play. I play it through a Boss GT-6 effects board and then to my Laney VC30-210, which are both very capable peices of equipment. Problem is, is I think it sounds.....weedy, not totally clean, even with 11's, and not really powerful. Now, I'm not completely clued up on pickups and all that, but surely if I could get better pickups than the standard ones, it could make a hell of a difference. But I don't know what ones to go for?!

Any help appreciated.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Jul 17, 2010,
Rock mostly, love the thick mid-sound. But also love Hendrix's tone.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Maybe try something like a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, or DiMarzio PAF Pro
If you're on budget try the site guitarheads. I had the hexbuckers installed on my agile guitar and it sounds beautiful now.
+1 on the SD Pearly Gates. I have to ask though, why don't you go for a nicer guitar? An HSS Fender would sound a ton better than the Pacifica.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
The 612v comes with a Seymour Duncan JB, which I have, and would recommend but from the neck and middle pickups your never going to get a thick mids sound and their single coil and they just dont do that.
SMILE!
i have the SD pearly gates, and for clean tones, theyre beautiful. and i know what you mean about the pacifica, plays very nicely.

but yeah, for a great clean, deffinatly the pearly gates.
Quote by The3818919
I have to ask though, why don't you go for a nicer guitar? An HSS Fender would sound a ton better than the Pacifica.

Well duh, lol. It's a question of money, I really don't want to have to buy another guitar. The 2 I have already are fine and are quite different.

I'll check out the SD Pearly Gates, what prices are good?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........
Around $80, I think.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Don't you have an eq in that gt6? Try playing around with it perhaps?
Quote by n00bje
Don't you have an eq in that gt6? Try playing around with it perhaps?

I do, I had a play around with it earlier which it does sound a bit better. But it doesn't compare to my rhythm guitarists sound, heh.

PS I'm in England not Canada :P
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL

Nevermind.........