Mr. Flibble, it'd be nice if you could help.

I wanted to buy an Epi Dot for a while, but heard the Studio was better from Mr. Flibble. I know I shouldn't take his word on it, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

DOT: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=4&CollectionID=1
MF:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Electric-Guitar?sku=518250
$400 from MF, plus shipping to Canada, which may be a lot.

Studio: http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=228&CollectionID=1
MF: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Dot-Studio-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=518706
$300 from MF, plus shipping.

The only real difference I noticed was that the Studio has no inlays, which is good, and laminated mahogany body and sides. However, the Dot looks nicer, has more controls for me to mess around with ( ), and I like the finish. This is kind of me just thinking out loud.

Which one is the better buy?

EDIT: It ships free... So only a $100 difference.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jul 17, 2010,
Whichever one is most comfortable to play. The studio is satin finished on the neck, and the standard is glossy. You might notice a difference in playability because of that. It also depends on what you play. The standard seems more versatile, but the studio might cover your territory just fine, depending on what that territory is.
i'd go for the Dot. I think overall it's just a nicer looking guitar, i like the finish, the chrome hardware, more control over your sound, and it's not that much more expensive. so spoil yourself a little! =]
technically the studio is the better buy,

but if you want the versitility the extra knobs will allow, you go for the standard dot.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've been kinda wondering this myself, not that I can afford either right now. I think I'm gonna go with the studio.
If it were me, I'd get the dot studio in worn brown at $270, and with that $120 saved get another vol and tone installed. And if you already know some stuff on electronics and soldering/following a guide to install etc you'd only really would need to buy the pots and wire needed and do it yourself which should cost what $20-$30. But that's just me.
Go used and you can find a Standard Dot for the price of a Studio.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
They're basically the same guitar. The Studio just doesn't have a shiny finish and it's missing 2 knobs.

I just dropped the cash on a dot studio after reading this thread, I was split between the studio and the normal. I'll probably mod the hell out of it anyway seeing as they were so close in spec i thought I'd save some cash and put it towards some of the mods.
I like the Dot. Having a guitar called a Dot with no dots on it would kill me with irony, so the Studio's out.

(I truly do like the Dot, though. Had one on my GAS list for a while now.)
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
It depends. Do you want to pay the extra 100 for an extra tone and volume knob, and a bitchin paint job
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Considering I know crap-all about electronics, I may go for the DOT. I dont really like inlays after having my schecter, except for the 12th fret star.

Is there a big difference sound wise with the mahogany vs. the maple?

EDIT: And the extra $100 isn't much of a big deal.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by obeythepenguin
Mahogany has a dark, mellow sound, while maple is generally very bright. Yes, the body wood does make a huge difference, more so than pickups, I'd say even your amp. (Call me a heretic.)

I do! Heretic!
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I know the difference in solid bodies, but would it be to the same degree of "dark" and "bright" with semi-hollows?

Although, after reading up on them on Long & McQuade, they both seem to have laminated maple tops, sides, and bottoms.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I think I'm going for the DOT. What would the neck be comparable to? My Schecter?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
depending on what schecter.

the neck is fat as, so you'll notice a change in playing style...no wear near as quick.

I bought a dot a year and a half ago and I love it...just sounds sexy, oh and they look sexy...mmm sexy.

I just handed it in to get the electronics overhauled and I'm putting in SD SH59's. gettin it back next saturday, cant wait....

cost me about $400AU for it, parts and labour.
yo.

I BELIEVE
I always advise the Dot Studio simply because the satin finish is a lot easier for most people to play on and personally, I find a master volume more useful than two separate volumes (though I do wish more companies made guitars with a master volume but separate tone controls). To me, the regular Dots are just pretty pieces to hang on your wall. But different strokes for different folks.

EDIT: And no, the Dot's neck won't be at all comparable to a Schecter's neck. Schecters have relative slim necks; Dots have relatively thick necks. The Dot's neck is most comparable to a modern Gibson '50s profile, or an early 1950s Fender Telecaster/actual 1960s Gibson neck. All of the Epiphone archtops, Firebird Studios and Epi 1959 LP Standards have the same neck, so if you can't try out a Dot then try out one of those other instruments with the same neck. For what it's worth, my Dot Studio (same neck as the Dot) had the thickest neck I've ever owned.

I would suggest you try out whatever guitar you decide to buy anyway, since Epiphone quality control can be so random. Do not buy a guitar without trying it first.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 18, 2010,
So Flibble, you wouldn't advise me buying over the internet? There's a Epi Black Beauty in my local store, would that be more comparable neck wise?

How do you feel about the Dot Deluxe? Is it just a DOT with a flame-top? Its the same price over MF as the DOT, but $800 MSRP.

Or I have that '61 LPC in my sig. Would that be closer to the DOT's?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by AWACS
So Flibble, you wouldn't advise me buying over the internet?
Indeed. Epiphone's quality control is all over the place, nobody should buy an Epiphone that they haven't played first.

There's a Epi Black Beauty in my local store, would that be more comparable neck wise?
If it's an newer BB then yes, but the older BBs had slightly slimmer necks.

How do you feel about the Dot Deluxe? Is it just a DOT with a flame-top? Its the same price over MF as the DOT, but $800 MSRP.
It's just a Dot with a flame veneer and gold-coloured hardware. Only worth buying if you have the money to burn.

Or I have that '61 LPC in my sig. Would that be closer to the DOT's?
It will probably be slightly slimmer than the Dot's neck at the first few frets, but it should be close overall. However the fretboard radius, neck width and of course the finish will all feel different so there is that to consider too.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I bought a epi dot studio a while ago. They had three on the floor and none of them felt the same.
But I think pricewise the dot studio is a really good bet. The pups need replacing but that's about it.

I don't really like inlays so if you don't either go for it.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
How about my acoustic, Mr. Flibble? Its an Oscar Schmidt OG30 I think.

EDIT: Now, unless I order it from my local store, I wont be able to have the chance to try it out for a month. My plan was to order online, and if I didt like it, send it back. I know MF has a 45-day return policy, and Long & McQuade has a 30-day policy.

Or, I could rent it from Long & Mquade. Just to try it out.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Last edited by AWACS at Jul 18, 2010,
I've no idea what that is, couldn't say.
Lol, alright. Thanks. I may go with the studio, bu was wondering how much pup covers would be. Would I have to get those from Epiphone? Or could I get them from L&M? And possibly a pickguard as well.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Definitely the standard, that thing is awesome. The studio isn't my cup o' tea, but whatever suits you best mate.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I want the Arctic White finish, but on the standard. Grr...
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive