Page 1 of 2
I've changed my budget to somewhere between $500 and $600 for a new recording interface. Firewire is a for sure for me. Can anybody recommend me the best interface for this price range? And I will buy a used one if its good.
I would say the M-AUDIO - ProFire 2626 is the best in the price range.

You can normally find it at $700 but look for a sale as I've seen it for $600 at times.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOPF2626

It also depends on what you'll be using this for. If you only need two inputs, don't waste all your money on just an interface...but on the other hand, it's nice to have an interface large enough that you won't outgrow in the future...
Yeah it would be nice to have one that I'm gonna be happy with and stick with for years if possible. That's why I'm spending more. So more inputs would be nice so in the future I can buy more mics for drums. I have a question though...When recording with an interface to the computer, are you limited to the amount of tracks you can have?

EDIT: One other question. What inputs does this use? It says they're XLR but they don't look like it.
Last edited by jman007_93 at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by jman007_93
Yeah it would be nice to have one that I'm gonna be happy with and stick with for years if possible. That's why I'm spending more. So more inputs would be nice so in the future I can buy more mics for drums. I have a question though...When recording with an interface to the computer, are you limited to the amount of tracks you can have?

Only by your computer and the DAW you are using, Ie, In reaper and Cubase you can have as many tracks as you want, but some DAW's, such as the crippled Pro Tools LE or M or whatever, can only have 17ish tracks or something like that. Bear in mind though that if you try to literally have a million audio tracks in cubase it will crash your computer, you still need enough RAM and CPU to support as many tracks as you need.

EDIT:

They're Combi Jack's. It let's you plug in an XLR or a Jack Cable into one socket.
Mackie came out with a new recording interface? Looks nice...but I wonder how it sounds.
guess someone will review it sooner or later, I can't wait.

I still think the 2626 will win hands down, it really has some great preamps and ADA converters inside.
I may be willing to sell you my M Audio project mix i/o as I'm looking to upgrade myself. I couldn't do one cent less then $600, and you would have to pay for shipping. This is the best deal available to you.

here is the item:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio-ProjectMix-I-O-103516597-i1166592.gc
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by theepiczebra
Only by your computer and the DAW you are using, Ie, In reaper and Cubase you can have as many tracks as you want, but some DAW's, such as the crippled Pro Tools LE or M or whatever, can only have 17ish tracks or something like that.

32 Audio Tracks in PT. That doesn't include Virtual Instrument, Aux, Midi, Ect. Which, for the typical band setting is more than enough IMO(8-10 for drums, 6 for guitars, 2 for bass, 4ish for vocals. All of course depending how much you want to do).

I'm looking into expanding my setup, probably gonna pick up a Profire when I get paid since I've got a coupon for 20% at Musicians Friend. I'll take $150 off my Profire and enjoy it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by MightyOwned
look into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

2nd this. ive owned quite a few Focusrite products and love them. The preamps are primo, imo.
I'm really considering the ProFire 2626. I keep getting told it's the best if you can afford it. How about buying used interfaces though, like off of eBay? Anything to worry about? I could get this used probably for a price I can pay. And how does the XLR input plug into it when it looks different?
the ebay products are nice if you trust the product is working fully and be aware you may not get some software or a warranty with it.......but other than that you can buy software, download drivers from the website, and the warranty....well, thats up to you...

I tend to look for used or b=stock at online stores I buy at like zzounds or musicians friend...you get a great product with warranty and it's from a trusted source. Saves ya a lot of money.

yea the back has all the jacks for inputs and outputs. PreSonus tends to put those inputs on the front but you end up with a mess of cables on your desk... I personally still use an m-audio 2496 PCI and PreSonus FP10 but want to swap the FP10 out for the 2626 when I get some cash.
Quote by moody07747
If I had the cash I'd take that deal without a second though...I've been eyeing those Project Mix units for quite some time now.

Anyways, now I'm just getting off topic...lol

dont touch the project mix .the drivers are decent ,the build quality are awful
and there is no head room of any sorts and the noise floor level is just rediculous

stay away from it
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Don't be foolish if the kid can get a project mix i/o for $600 that's by far his best option.

Rofl.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by MightyOwned
Pro Tools LE/M-Powered go up to 32 tracks, and can be extended to 64 when you buy an expansion pack. LE and M-Powered have their uses IMO. They still include key features such as Elastic Audio (at least to my belief).

TS, look into the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, the Presonus Firestudio, the M-Audio Profire 2626, and the Mackie Blackbird. (newly released!, looks real promising!, have not tried it though).

protools le 8 has a standard limit of 64 track mono/stereo audio tracks

and now uses the sibaliues score editor for midi

Quote by guitar nubsauce
Don't be foolish if the kid can get a project mix i/o for $600 that's by far his best option.

Rofl.

who is it that your talking to you, ive had 3 years experiance withe the project mix and its utter bull
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Last edited by hans the lefty at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by jman007_93
Nah, I'm not looking for that.

okay, why would you want anything else. This has the best preamps, full automation, 8 channels plus lightpipe.

It's by far your best option, you're looking at a 8 channel rack mount with sub par pre amps and absolutely no touch automation.

I'm just saying for $600 used you could get a professional setup, not some hacked mouse click DAW. The lack of power in mouse clicks limits your power in the mix. Without touch automation you can't play with the big boys.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Profire 2626. No if and or buts about it. No other interface at 550 on the used market can touch it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
It's got everything discussed in this thread plus faders and full automation. If you have some extra money I have pro tools to go with it, you can get your setup pretty pro. I'm selling the unit at 600 on ebay right now, you can buy it through there, so you won't be buying it through the forums

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Project-Mix-I-O-/170515051623?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b37d3467

If you want to make sure everything checks out with your computer and it will all work we can talk now, but this thing is going to sell on ebay. Look at the prices on the others.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Want to talk further we can make a deal pm me. We'll make sure it works with your hardware and software first. The unit itself is your best option at this price. Full touch multi channel automation is not something you will get with these others.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
well I'm going to stop offering pm me if you change your mind. I can take cash and considering trades.

I can send you recordings as I still have it hooked up and you can tell me if there's "noise problems".
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
i suggest going on another forum dedicated to audio recording
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp

Quote by guitar nubsauce
well I'm going to stop offering pm me if you change your mind. I can take cash and considering trades.

I can send you recordings as I still have it hooked up and you can tell me if there's "noise problems".

From an objective view, I think you should back off, as it looks a little like your trying to bully this guy into buying your project mix.
You just quoted me saying "I'm going to stop offering pm me if you change your mind"...
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by guitar nubsauce
You just quoted me saying "I'm going to stop offering".

Ok, Be an arsehole. If you want I'll quote your other 5 quotes trying to sell him the Damn thing. Look, if he doesn't want it he doesn't want it, the point I'm trying to make is that he's looking for an interface, and when he's clearly unsure about what he wants, stop trying to sell him yours. If you want to be clever about it go ahead.
Right, maybe I was a bit strait forward, but he's asking for his best moneys worth for his budget and I told him. Sorry if I didn't beat around the bush enough. I was trying to help someone who doesn't know much about what he wants, since that's why he's asking here.

I'm trying to help him avoid the mistakes I made with my first few interfaces that I had to lose money on because they didn't have touch automation.

Good luck TS.
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Page 1 of 2