just wondering whats the diffrence between a 12 string and a 6 string guitar is, other then the amount of strings
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
each extra string is tuned an octave higher so its like EEAADDGGBBEE........Resulting in an odd spacy sound... Just listen to it!
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
from what i know
12 strring guitar of course have more strings and they sound fuller when you play chords
so is it like on a mandolin where the strings are paired up
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
You can create some totally different sounds with a 12 string. You can tune the octave strings in thirds to the normal strings to make a octaved harmony underneath, which is pretty weird

Also it has a different feel, and is a lot more interesting when you try one out.

And of course all the strings are octaved so you get doubled chords each with different octaves, producing a much richer sound.
haha a mate of mine ones.. no actually many ppl ask it...

can you play 12 stringed guitar too??? damn!!!

as for the sound.. it has a really really rich sound.. like chorus or something!!!

it works awesome for unplugged concerts and chord work... plus you can tune the strings in a different way and thats a nice advantage!!! like fifth or somethin??!
so what is the standard tuning for it
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by jimmypage577
so what is the standard tuning for it

Read the first reply. It's like a normal guitar, but the pairs are tuned an octave apart.

If you want to hear the difference, go to youtube for some samples. 12-strings sound jangly and chimey compared to a standard 6-string.
Quote by /OOM
each extra string is tuned an octave higher so its like EEAADDGGBBEE........Resulting in an odd spacy sound... Just listen to it!

Only the E A D and (most often) the G strings have a thinner octave pair. The B and high E strings have an unison pair (same string doubled).
I found a 12-string Seagull at a pawn shop a half hour from my house going for $300. It's a 12+ Original. Is this a good model?

Or perhaps there are better models that put really good quality into their 12 strings? What do you guys recommend?
The old 12-string joke..... "you spend half your time tuning, and half playing out of tune..."

Much better now with electronic tuners!

The 12-string was a very popular folk instrument back when; Pete Seeger famously played one, as did Leadbelly and Big Bill Broonzy. Gordon Lightfoot used one extensively....
Nice, full sound for chordal strumming.

However, that's only part of the picture; listen to early Leo Kottke to see what can be done with the instrument. Here's an early video of "Vaseline Machine Gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tew_fIhz3eY
Last edited by Bikewer at Jul 18, 2010,
12 String guitars often have slightly thicker top wood to cope with the extra string tension. This will lead to a slightly deader and less resonant sound... not as crisp as the same 6 string. I always put locking tuners on my 12's. You need to to maintain tune. 12's also rend to have intonation problems as you play up the neck towards the bridge. But this can be a plus. I just finnished doing a stint with a folk/rock band in small venues like bars and coffee shops sitting in for their guitarist who was ill. The group had a female 12 string player who used bronze strings on her Maton 12 string. I have a very light touch and needed to use an amp. I ended up having to unplug the girls 12 string as the thing was astoundingly LOUD! I find that many 12 String players tend to fall into an almost percussive roll and really bash away.
A properly tuned and set up 12 can have an almost magical quality about it. They really lend themselves to songs with a drone note. Especially in D and G. They can be very rewarding to play and compose on.

Recording 12's is another matter. Capturing the sound you want is very difficult. Unless you have several good quality condenser mics, don't even try. To gain a good insight into 12's have a listen to the Jimmy Page Robert Plant 'No Quarter' and or Led Zep Unledded CD's. Cheers MD