dont get on my ass for this thread, there is probably some floyd rose only thread or some crap, but i got a quick question.

my cousin is telling me that if i want to play in dropped tunings i have to take it to a shop and get something done or my strings will break or something. i usually play in drop c with dropped tuning 10's. could i just tune the guitar to dropped c the way i have to with the bridge tuners all the way down so i could maybe go to c standard when i wanna play dethklok?

signatures suck...
Quote by Aramis
Because I don't rock like Jack.
In the back there is springs that make the bridge tilt forward or back so tune to drop c and then loosen (tilt forward) or tighten (tilt back) to make the bridge level with the body
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
You don't have to take it to a shop if you learn how to fix intonation and spring tension yourself. If you want to play a lot of different tunings (going back and forth between standard and drop), don't get a guitar with a floating trem unless you really really really really really (I can't stress this enough) REALLY need to jerk around with the whammy bar. It's usually more of a hassle than most people want to go through.
its possible but just know it matters with the range of the fine tuners
also the other string will get out of tune its just easier to have a guitar with a solidbridge
Quote by Ascendant
You don't have to take it to a shop if you learn how to fix intonation and spring tension yourself. If you want to play a lot of different tunings (going back and forth between standard and drop), don't get a guitar with a floating trem unless you really really really really really (I can't stress this enough) REALLY need to jerk around with the whammy bar. It's usually more of a hassle than most people want to go through.

yeah this does make more sense fixed bridge = better tuning stability, better squeelies, and less bullshit with maintenece
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

I don't think you will be able to get away with that. Probably would be able to shift between drop c and d standard but no way in hell are you going to go from drop c to c standard on a floyd rose system without taking the time, a half an hour an hour or so, to set it up from one to the other.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
10's for drop c? Ain't that a bit thin? o.o

Also you're strings won't break, you probably won't be able to alternate between each tunings. For the sake of the neck and the floyd wear and you're intonation/action, you'd have to have one tuning or the other.

Also i'd take it to a guitar shop to get it properly set up, a good one though, someone you trust. And if you're doing c standard you'll probably need some 11's/12's on there. I use 11's for drop c, but i'm 24'75 scale. You could use 11's if you have a 25'5 scale guitar. Personally for the action/intonation i'd say 12's, but as you use 10's for drop c i'd say you might need 11's only.
haha alright, lucky me theres a non floyd version. ill probably just do that and give it a better paint job.
signatures suck...
Quote by Aramis
Quote by Glenn Guitar
10's for drop c? Ain't that a bit thin? o.o

Also you're strings won't break, you probably won't be able to alternate between each tunings. For the sake of the neck and the floyd wear and you're intonation/action, you'd have to have one tuning or the other.

Also i'd take it to a guitar shop to get it properly set up, a good one though, someone you trust. And if you're doing c standard you'll probably need some 11's/12's on there. I use 11's for drop c, but i'm 24'75 scale. You could use 11's if you have a 25'5 scale guitar. Personally for the action/intonation i'd say 12's, but as you use 10's for drop c i'd say you might need 11's only.

theyre a dropped tuning pair of strings. they have a kinda thicker gauge going ontop and regular 10s' for the higher strings. but i have been considering stepping up my gauge, im just a bit hesitant to.
signatures suck...
Quote by Aramis
Quote by jackrocks4
theyre a dropped tuning pair of strings. they have a kinda thicker gauge going ontop and regular 10s' for the higher strings. but i have been considering stepping up my gauge, im just a bit hesitant to.

belieave me and get a set of 12-56s
Quote by BrokenDstring