i've been playing for two years and i've learned a lot. I can do clean sweeps, alternate picking etc. But is seem to get stuck when playing fast speedruns (i'm talking about 16th note runs at 180 bpm fast). My pick seems to get sort of stuck between the strings when picking very fast. It limits my speed! any tips?
i use jazz 3 xl and 10-52 strings
Quote by Zappo
i've been playing for two years and i've learned a lot. I can do clean sweeps, alternate picking etc. But is seem to get stuck when playing fast speedruns (i'm talking about 16th note runs at 180 bpm fast). My pick seems to get sort of stuck between the strings when picking very fast. It limits my speed! any tips?
i use jazz 3 xl and 10-52 strings

Use a metronome. Figure out what speed your pick starts to feel stuck. Then cut that speed in half and work your way back up to that speed 1bpm at a time. At a certain speed you'll notice something you're doing something different, correct this and work back up to speed again.
^ +1

Try not to think of it as separate techniques, "slow playing" and "speed runs." Instead, proper speed runs are essentially slow runs but just sped up. Like yearzero said, the moment something in your technique changes from your technique you use when playing slowly, that is a sign that you are probably starting to lose control.
i found the problem... the picking angle! i was turning the pick almost 60 degrees out (meaning my thumb was almost pointing down.) i did this because it was a good way to do pinch harmonics.. glad i figured that one out