I really wanna be good at fast guitar, thrash esque pwning riffs and solo's (see early metallica) but I can't play that fast or with that enough intensity.. What can I do to be good at this? Any techniques, licks, excercises. warm uppers, ways to practise playing fast passages, hell, even the simple low E chug at speed? I simply can't right now. I always warm up by playing my scales. Oh and another question, I know most soloing in this type of thrashy genre is pentatonic, but how come all of my licks sound bluesy? It kinda kills the mood when I think of my own stuff..

Thanks
The key to speed is to practice slowly. Speed is but a byproduct of accuracy. I know you've probably heard it a lot and you're tired to hear it, but trust me, I'm on the same boat as you are.

As far as exercises go, you should practice scales at slow speed with a metronome. I also like to do chromatic runs. Think about it, and figure out youre weaknesses. Then practice licks/riffs that include your weaknesses. For example, I have a hard time removing my pinky off a string without noise. Therefore, I do chromatic runs on the highest strings and focus on that very weakness. In a day or two I got results, so the key is practice what you're weak at.

As for the soloing, the only key is to focus on emotion, rather then just playing notes. The key to this is practice. And do SLOW solos, or you'll keep sounding just like a scale. I recommend you to watch Marty Friedman's melodic control(it's on youtube in 6 parts).
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Do you use a metronome? If not, buy one. Start off playing solo's and tricky riffs at a slow BPM(Beats per minute) rate, then speed it up gradully to the tempo at which it plays in the song. Eventully the particular riff will become second nature
There are several exercises and lessons on this site. Check out the lessons section and practice with a metronome.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
Just take parts that you want to learn then slow them down, and slowly build them up to speed. Do this with a metronome and only increase the speed once you're comfortable and relaxed at the current BPM
Well all suck, we just suck at different things.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well all suck, we just suck at different things.

Couldn't agree more!
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
Quote by Spike6sic6
The key to speed is to practice slowly. Speed is but a byproduct of accuracy. I know you've probably heard it a lot and you're tired to hear it, but trust me, I'm on the same boat as you are.

As far as exercises go, you should practice scales at slow speed with a metronome. I also like to do chromatic runs. Think about it, and figure out youre weaknesses. Then practice licks/riffs that include your weaknesses. For example, I have a hard time removing my pinky off a string without noise. Therefore, I do chromatic runs on the highest strings and focus on that very weakness. In a day or two I got results, so the key is practice what you're weak at.

As for the soloing, the only key is to focus on emotion, rather then just playing notes. The key to this is practice. And do SLOW solos, or you'll keep sounding just like a scale. I recommend you to watch Marty Friedman's melodic control(it's on youtube in 6 parts).

This.

I've been playing for a year and a few months. I'm not good, but I'm happy with the progress I've made. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Paul Gilbert and messing around with some of his songs. Obviously, they are way beyond my ability. Still fun though.

Anyways, I was practicing Technical Difficulties. I noticed that I had a really difficult time transitioning between strings when doing fast alternate picking. Something I started doing the last few days is just doing alternate picking runs up and down the strings while they are all muted, just practicing moving between strings at a good pace. It has really helped a lot.

Before that, I noticed that I always economy picked and it really made it hard for me to play certain things. So I just started practicing strict alternate picking at a really slow pace and forced myself to not always use a damn down stroke when ascending. Now if I don't want to alternate pick, I have to really think about it and force myself.

Anyways, just pay attention to some specifics of your practice a little and find out what you REALLY suck at and try to fix it somehow.
Quote by big_aug
This.

I've been playing for a year and a few months. I'm not good, but I'm happy with the progress I've made. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Paul Gilbert and messing around with some of his songs. Obviously, they are way beyond my ability. Still fun though.

Anyways, I was practicing Technical Difficulties. I noticed that I had a really difficult time transitioning between strings when doing fast alternate picking. Something I started doing the last few days is just doing alternate picking runs up and down the strings while they are all muted, just practicing moving between strings at a good pace. It has really helped a lot.

Before that, I noticed that I always economy picked and it really made it hard for me to play certain things. So I just started practicing strict alternate picking at a really slow pace and forced myself to not always use a damn down stroke when ascending. Now if I don't want to alternate pick, I have to really think about it and force myself.

Anyways, just pay attention to some specifics of your practice a little and find out what you REALLY suck at and try to fix it somehow.

this.

im on the same boat as you mate!
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
I know I'm not very good at guitar. What matters the most is how it feels to YOU. Does it relax you? Do you feel yourself growing in ability? Don't rush it man. Heed the advice of the previous posts and good luck.
Try guitar hero! As stupid as it sounds it helps amazingly well with speed. I played guitar hero for a year and mastered expert and then tried real guitar and now after a year and a half and can play just about anything. Guitar Hero helps you with up and down the frets, but you have to learn to go up and down strings on you're own, so you combine the 2.
Gear List:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Faded
Bugera 6262 2x12
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Morley Power Wah
Quote by Mr_Wizard
Try guitar hero! As stupid as it sounds it helps amazingly well with speed. I played guitar hero for a year and mastered expert and then tried real guitar and now after a year and a half and can play just about anything. Guitar Hero helps you with up and down the frets, but you have to learn to go up and down strings on you're own, so you combine the 2.

No. Just no.

If you want to learn to play guitar the most effective way to do so is to practice guitar. GH helping is debatable at best but the best way to learn to play is to sit and learn to play.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mr_Wizard

Blink 182 does not count. But seriously NO. Guitar Hero does not help at all. Upload a video of you doing a good cover of a melodic death metal song, and maybe I can something you say seriously.
Quote by SWAS
Upload a video of you doing a good cover of a melodic death metal song, and maybe I can something you say seriously.

Flawed logic is flawed. The whole "don't advise until you can do better" thing is inherently wrong.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mr_Wizard

Sadly the Guitar Hero bull crap got me into guitar. im positive it helped me about..... nope it really didnt help. it taught me how to hold the guitar and make little movements but i got my first guitar and i tried to play as quickly as i could on the game... that didnt work.i play guitar from 2 to 5 hours a day instead of video games (exept when my girlfriend's aroun) so now i can play half the songs on GH and i suck at the game. real guitar FTW guitar hero needs to be shown for the crap that it has become.

BUT if guitar hero comes out with a guitar with real STRINGS made of STEEL... sure, that would be legit. but until then, put down the plastic, and pickup some METAL.