I'm losing hope guys. I practice around 2 hours a day, concentrating on the things I want to improve, scales, arpeggios, and I just jam around a ton.
But there are still kids I meet all the time who don't even practice and can play circles around me, often who've played for less time than I have, which is 3 years. "yeah I just kinda play what I want...I don't have a teacher.." they tauntingly say.

I don't understand.
The playground of the world
No matter how good any of us get there will always be someone who can play circles around us. Don't focus on that, just focus on your personal progression. Their ability can also become a strong flame to motivate you to become better. It also helps to realize and set goals for yourself, while being realistic about them. If your goal is to be an awesome session guitarist then you probably ought to spend more than 2 hours a day, and really focus on not just practicing but practicing correctly and efficiently (read stickies around here and watch Freepower's youtube videos). Lots of people spend 5+ hours a day practicing, but a key of standing out above them is by spending that many (or even less) hours practicing correctly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU). If your goal isn't to focus so much on musicianship as composition (or even theoretical knowledge or ear/production skills, etc.), then just realize that there will be people who can outplay you, while you offer other skills that they don't have. If you have a habit of viewing this as a linear competition, you will lose.

Also, I and pretty much everyone else has lost hope at some point or another. Stay the course!
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Jul 17, 2010,
Yeah there are always someone better, but i agree you should set some goals.
I was self taught and learned guitar online , don't run before you can walk, learn chords and strumming then move onto riffs and single sting work ie dtuff like scales etc.

Pick a song you like thats wihin the realm of your chord knowledge and practise that them move forward from there....take baby steps
Quote by fixationdarknes
No matter how good any of us get there will always be someone who can play circles around us. Don't focus on that, just focus on your personal progression. Their ability can also become a strong flame to motivate you to become better. It also helps to realize and set goals for yourself, while being realistic about them. If your goal is to be an awesome session guitarist then you probably ought to spend more than 2 hours a day, and really focus on not just practicing but practicing correctly and efficiently (read stickies around here and watch Freepower's youtube videos). Lots of people spend 5+ hours a day practicing, but a key of standing out above them is by spending that many (or even less) hours practicing correctly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNhhyrnINIU). If your goal isn't to focus so much on musicianship as composition (or even theoretical knowledge or ear/production skills, etc.), then just realize that there will be people who can outplay you, while you offer other skills that they don't have. If you have a habit of viewing this as a linear competition, you will lose.

Also, I and pretty much everyone else has lost hope at some point or another. Stay the course!

You just saved me a lot of typing.

But to Eddie4President: If these "kids who play circles around you" only focus on playing what they want, without practicing they WILL PLATEAU eventually. If you stay focused and keep practicing properly the sky's the limit for you. You have your whole life, this isn't a race. Just keep having fun, that's what you're doing it for right?
People learn at different rates, don't worry about it, just play guitar and have fun. That's really what playing guitar is all about.

One thing you'll eventually notice in life is that no matter how good you are at something, there will always be someone who's better or smarter than you, but there are also a lot of people who are worse than you.
Who cares about who's better at playing? First of all, they MUST practice a lot if they're better than you and they say they don't practice that much. They might just be lying to boost their ego and be self-righteous dickheads. TRUST me OP, you will improve and become much better than them in the long run. Consider this, they may be better than you right now, but if they don't practice more, you'll easily get better than them with dedicated practice. You may get better at a different rate, but if you practice everyday and enjoy the instrument, then there is no reason you should stop or lose hope. Music is music, it isn't a competition.

And think of this, I remember watching an interview with Steve Vai saying that if he could play something then anybody could play it at a point in his guitar playing, but then he started practicing uncontrollably and look at him now.

Another example, Jimi Hendrix obviously isn't the best skill/technique wise, in fact his technique was pretty bad. Now compare him to Yngwie Malmsteen, a neo-classical guitarist who has incredible technique, speed, precision, skill, etc. But listen to their music, Yngwie may be able to play OMGSUPERFASTARPEGGIOSLOL, but there's no way in hell he'll ever play the beautiful music of Jimi Hendrix with such expression and emotion.

Music is music, not a comptetition. I believe in you OP.
Hey OP. I'm a new member but I'm not new to your problem.

I've played guitar on and off for about a year. Having lessons getting really in to it and enthusiastic and then leaving it only to repeat twice.

When I started lessons again about 6 months ago, my teacher asked me what It was I wanted. He said I go go through doing various grades or just to do it to enjoy doing it.

I decided to do grades and maybe you should as well. Grades are a good way of showing what level your at, that way you have an idea of where you want to go. Just an idea.

Never lose faith, just play to enjoy it and and you'll start to notice your improvements without focusing on it to much.
You have something they don't have: Determination. You have put in the effort to become a guitarist, they haven't, though it may not seem like it. You should play for enjoyment, thats what the whole of music is, it doesn't matter who plays what, as long as your having fun doing it.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
You have something they don't have: Determination. You have put in the effort to become a guitarist, they haven't, though it may not seem like it. You should play for enjoyment, thats what the whole of music is, it doesn't matter who plays what, as long as your having fun doing it.

What he said too.
A LOT of people, especially now days with guitar hero and such, will pick up the guitar and try to "shred". This, after many years of failing hard, starts to sound almost clean. This is where those guitarists plateau, "almost" clean.

Just keep playing, I would be willing to bet my fret hand that in 10 years youll be playing some really really cool gigs, in places you wouldn't have even thought of, and they will have 3 kids and need to sell their gear for teh foodz
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
TS you should be playing guitar because you enjoy doing so, it's not a competition. Also, it wouldn't be the first time someone lies about how long they've been playing for and whatnot.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
now i cant say im an amazing guitarist myself..( played for 6 months when i was 13 and 7 months now.. im 20)

i can honestly tell you what these guys are saying is true. when i picked up the guitar 7 months ago i focused on learning things the proper way... as of the past few months (when summer started) i havent been focusing much on technique or learning new things, but more on just learning tabs. i can tell you for sure that my learning curve has slowed considerably. dont focus on those guys that can shred. focus on yourself its nothing to be ashamed of.

ive been riding dirtbikes my whole life, while im not bad at all, when i go to the motocross track there are 15 year olds that just rip me apart. some ppl are just prodigy's at what they do. dont let that stop you, just have fun that's when you will get the most out of a hobby.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by Eddie4President
I'm losing hope guys. I practice around 2 hours a day, concentrating on the things I want to improve, scales, arpeggios, and I just jam around a ton.
But there are still kids I meet all the time who don't even practice and can play circles around me, often who've played for less time than I have, which is 3 years. "yeah I just kinda play what I want...I don't have a teacher.." they tauntingly say.

I don't understand.

First off music is not a competition, there will always be somebody different than you. Secondly we all learn at different paces and we all have our own style of learning and play.

Secondly plan out when you're going to practice. The way I structure my practice is usually finger exercizes (seriously if you warm up with some kind of finger exercize you'll play much better), then scales, after that a jam and maybe some days instead of doing that I'll cut all of those short and learn a new song or chords

Write out on a peice of paper what you're going to do, IE- what finger exercizes, pentatonic scale, a jam with this track, this song. If you just dick around while you practice then you won't get any better. I'd also learn theory if you haven't already, if you know how melodies work then you'll be a lot better off.