So...I'm in the middle of building a studio in my garage...and had thought about building a shelf to keep amps on...but, I decided I would make it more of a road case that I could keep in my studio, and use at gigs

I built it to house two heads, and 5 rack spaces. Took about two hours, and letting the paint dry overnight. About $30 worth of birch wood, some extra foam I had laying around, and some leftover paint. Threw some casters on it and a couple handles...and it's perfect. The wood is 1" birch, and made for a very sturdy case. Should make setting up a abit easier too; plug into a cab...and plug in my guitar/pedalboard.

Eventually, I'm going to get some roll-on bedliner or spray-on undercoating for it...and possibly build front and back doors. Anyway...onward to the pics! (sorry for the shitty quality...all I have is a cell phone camera).

Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
please invoice me and give me a lead time for your rack.

it would cost 3x more to ship it than it cost me to build
looks pretty cool...... cheap to make too :O

have any dimensions and shit, and a general idea of how you put it together?
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Jul 17, 2010,
great job man, looks awesome
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
did you get the wood from like homedepot?
that's not like a bookshelf conversion right. you built the joints yourself?

I'm just wondering about the structural stability of putting like 2 60 watts heads in that thing.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
thats pretty slick! im sure if you wanted you could get some drawer slides and make a drawer for your pedals.

just an idea for improvement
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by AcousticMirror
did you get the wood from like homedepot?
that's not like a bookshelf conversion right. you built the joints yourself?

I'm just wondering about the structural stability of putting like 2 60 watts heads in that thing.

Well it is physically sound...looks well balanced and all. Just from looking at it I don't think that things gonna fall apart any time soon.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by kakos
looks pretty cool...... cheap to make too :O

have any dimensions and shit, and a general idea of how you put it together?

Each amp 'hole' is 29" wide x12.5" tall...the foam makes for a tight fit. The rack opening is 9.5" tall and 19"wide...so it's between a 5U and 6U size. But only 3 rack spaces are used...the bottom is just for my 10-band and NS2.

EDIT: wood from lowes, every joint is braced with a 1x2, and the outer edges have finger joints. It's definitely a strong build.
how sturdy is it??

edit: nvm i saw that u said it was good lol

did you make covers for it??
Last edited by Tguitarplyr182 at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Tguitarplyr182
how sturdy is it??

Sturdy enough for me (5'10", 185) to sit on it while our other guitarist pushed me (with the amps and everything in it already).

EDIT:
no covers yet, will plan on it once I get the studio finished
Quote by forsaknazrael
Looks good? Where can I get me some corrugated foam like that?

It's home theater foam...I bought a kit to do my basement in my old house and this is what's left.
Nice idea mate. Nice noisegate too lolz. I reckon that should be very strong indeed, in fact i think you might have slightly overengineered it with 25.4mm wood. I found 18mm to be plenty strong enough when i was building my bass speaker cabinet.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
that wins bro, and for 30 bucks? awsome
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Thats really sweet man, and for that cheap, you cant get much better! does the foam restrict a bit of air flow around the heads though?

Chur
Quote by Lightbluemk2
Thats really sweet man, and for that cheap, you cant get much better! does the foam restrict a bit of air flow around the heads though?

The case is still open on the back...and will be even after I build the lids for it. And the foam doesn't cover the top vent on either head, so the air flow isn't restricted.
hey so...on that rack...the 2 side panels are one piece panels correct? the shelf panels are one piece.
you cut joints into the side panel and inserted the shelf piece? Or are the shelf pieces resting on top of brackets?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by eyebanez333
Sturdy enough for me (5'10", 185) to sit on it while our other guitarist pushed me (with the amps and everything in it already).

EDIT:
no covers yet, will plan on it once I get the studio finished

this is a sick set up though, im definitely going to build my own like that, i just got done with my pedal board not too long ago. and i have a 2 head/ 2 cab live set up, so anything that can get me onstage faster like that is awesome, so thanks for the inspiration haha.

i feel like my band should be sponsored by home depot. haha.

im going to make a thread for all the stuff we have built soon, just gotta get new pictures of it.

where did you get the foam?
Quote by Tguitarplyr182

where did you get the foam?

One of my friends used to be into home theater stuff pretty heavy...I got it from him. I'm using some on my studio walls and iso boxes that I'm building for guitar cabinets to be mic'd up inside, but I'm not sure where he got it or what brand it is. I know theres about a million types of studio/dampening foam out there.

I feel like Lowe's should sponsor my studio For only needing to build 4 new walls and finish 2 existing ones...this is turning into quite the money pit
haha yah it can get expensive haha

what are you going to be running in your studio for equipment?
Quote by Tguitarplyr182

what are you going to be running in your studio for equipment?

Right now, my personal computer uses a lexicon lambda into reaper (saving for a firepod as we speak, that will be bought shortly after the rest of the studio materials are bought)....cabs: mesa w/v30s, crate with G12T-75's, peavey xxx, ton of guitars...peavey 6505 from our other guitarist. Our vocalist is an IT guy and building a super computer with an Mbox and Protools (not my decision...). Shure SM57s for guitar cabs and snares, MXL's, AKGs, and sterlings for everything else. Peavey Tour 450 bass amp, GK cab...although the Peavey sounds great using the DI on the back. too much other shit to list...all the guitars and effects on my profile are mine personally so they'll always be available...but I can borrow just about anything I want to...if not from another band, I'm very good friends with the local Guitar Center. Before our other guitarist got his, I got to borrow a 6505 for a weekend while my XXX was in the shop
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
Right now, my personal computer uses a lexicon lambda into reaper (saving for a firepod as we speak, that will be bought shortly after the rest of the studio materials are bought)....cabs: mesa w/v30s, crate with G12T-75's, peavey xxx, ton of guitars...peavey 6505 from our other guitarist. Our vocalist is an IT guy and building a super computer with an Mbox and Protools (not my decision...). Shure SM57s for guitar cabs and snares, MXL's, AKGs, and sterlings for everything else. Peavey Tour 450 bass amp, GK cab...although the Peavey sounds great using the DI on the back. too much other shit to list...all the guitars and effects on my profile are mine personally so they'll always be available...but I can borrow just about anything I want to...if not from another band, I'm very good friends with the local Guitar Center. Before our other guitarist got his, I got to borrow a 6505 for a weekend while my XXX was in the shop

sounds nice.

my vocalist got a loan from his parents and bought a giant mac, protools, an maudio profire. two condenser mic Shure Overheads. an audix drum mic set. im not sure what condenser he got for vocals, i think it starts with an N or something im not sure though. and we have Custom avatar cabs with V30's in them for recording and i have a bugera 6260 and an egnater renegade

i love recording, its one of my favorite parts of being in a band
Quote by Tguitarplyr182
sounds nice.

my vocalist got a loan from his parents and bought a giant mac, protools, an maudio profire. two condenser mic Shure Overheads. an audix drum mic set. im not sure what condenser he got for vocals, i think it starts with an N or something im not sure though. and we have Custom avatar cabs with V30's in them for recording and i have a bugera 6260 and an egnater renegade

i love recording, its one of my favorite parts of being in a band

hell yeah. I'm relatively new to it...but I've been in bands for awhile now. I've recorded guitar and bass in bands before, but never done anything other than what the sound engineer told me to. our vocalist has a huge basement that we practice in, I think we might just leave his computer over there, and record drums there since our drummer is particular about using his drumset instead of mine Then just do guitars, bass, and vocals in my studio.
I think once I am done painting and accessorizing my pedalboard I will build me one of these

Very nice, very nice. For some reason i never though of actually building my own. Homemade products save so much money, especially if they work just as well as $200 cases.
Quote by polishedbullet
I think once I am done painting and accessorizing my pedalboard I will build me one of these

Very nice, very nice. For some reason i never though of actually building my own. Homemade products save so much money, especially if they work just as well as $200 cases.

Exactly. The 6U rack that I have my bass rig is uses 1/8" wood....along with the metal edges riveted on. That's probably what I'll end up doing with this one, then do 4 butterfly latches for the doors. This cost less than my 6U rack did too.
Quote by polishedbullet
Did you screw your rack mounted goodies directly into the wood, or on a...rack?

i was also wondering this
They're screwed into the wood by the looks of it.

Nice looking rack!
I need to build one soon. Just for my EQ and some other stuff I am gonna buy.
Gonna get a small rackmount mixer(Like the firepod, but older and not expensive) just so I can adjust volumes to be all the same. I use multiple guitars on stage, 1 for each tuning. Which, generally... Is 3. That's what I get for buying a guitar with a Floyd, and loving it too much to leave it at home. Also, it's a pain in the ass to tune to Drop C...
..I was watching my death.
There is a metal lip under the rack stuff, so the sonic maximizer, gmajor and power conditioner aren't mounted directly to the wood.
I'm curious: What exactly is it that the power conditioner does?
I imagine it reduces noise, but there must be more to it.
..I was watching my death.
it's like a power strip/surge protector...but it also kills a lot of noise. It's just a bit of extra protection...you can never tell how reliable a gig's power is (i still always test it with an outlet tester before plugging anything in). It's nice to have because I just leave all my gear switched on...so I flip the power on the power conditioner and it powers up my whole rig.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 19, 2010,