im looking to get a new guitar soon but im not sure what to get i was looking at a B.C. Rich special X its arounf $800 but some people say theyre crap guitars? what do you guys think and if not that guitar any other ideas for 1 around the price range of $600-$800?
umm...you didnt say what kind of sound you want but yes B.C. rich suck my ****. get a schecter, i never saw anyone that wasent satisfied with those(including me)
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by guitarscreams
umm...you didnt say what kind of sound you want but yes B.C. rich suck my ****. get a schecter, i never saw anyone that wasent satisfied with those(including me)

sorry i forgot to include the sound i want i wanted a 80s rock sound but able to go to a metal tone too and what about jacksons are they crap too?
Quote by guitarscreams

You've never played a B.C. Rich guitar.

TS; which B.C. Rich model are you specifying?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
You've never played a B.C. Rich guitar.

TS; which B.C. Rich model are you specifying?

no i would like to have played one but my guitar center doesnt really caryy many of them and there arent many other local music stores around so i mean ivr played cheap ones but i was looking at a more expensive mockingbird this time so i didnt really know what to expect anything else you would reccomend?
I wasn't saying you haven't played one. Clearly he hadn't.

There's all kinds of guitars you can use for "metal." You could go searching B.C. Rich, Dean, Schecter, LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, Epiphone and Gibson.

What kind of amp do you have?
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I wasn't saying you haven't played one. Clearly he hadn't.

There's all kinds of guitars you can use for "metal." You could go searching B.C. Rich, Dean, Schecter, LTD, Jackson, Ibanez, Epiphone and Gibson.

What kind of amp do you have?

i have a vox valvetronix 100watt and i love it can give me just about any sound i want! and ive played deans and i like them as well but i already own a epiphone les paul (it was the series modeld after slash) and i have a gibson explorer so i really dont want another explorer as a dean and i love the mockingbird shape its extremly cool to me
Well a Mockingbird should be able to play metal for you. I can't remember if the Special X's have Rockfield's in them, though. Those are great metal pickups.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well a Mockingbird should be able to play metal for you. I can't remember if the Special X's have Rockfield's in them, though. Those are great metal pickups.

indeed, they do have rockfields. Its a pretty looking guitar too.
jackson is exellent but expensive as shit
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

yeahh they have the rockfields in them thats why i was wondering if this would be a good guitar for me i always ask around with pickups though cause theres like so many to pick from btw in my gibson explorer it came with a EMG 81-7 in the bridge and the neck pickup came with a EMG 707 should i change the neck pickup for a softer tone or i can still get that tone perfectly with these pickups cause they are pretty amazing and i love the sound
Quote by guitaristren
indeed, they do have rockfields. Its a pretty looking guitar too.

thats part of the reason i like B.C. Rich guitars so much they have some of the coolest designs ever made its like the rock gods designed them themselves
Quote by guitarguyz61
thats part of the reason i like B.C. Rich guitars so much they have some of the coolest designs ever made its like the rock gods designed them themselves

me too! I hate how everybody jumps on the BC Rich hate bandwagon and flames the living crap out of them.

*cough* like the other guy

EDIT: Anyway: on topic the Mockingbird Special and the Mocking Special X are pretty much the same guitar except the Special X has a Sunburst finish.
Last edited by guitaristren at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by guitaristren
me too! I hate how everybody jumps on the BC Rich hate bandwagon and flames the living crap out of them.

*cough* like the other guy

ikk!!!!!!!!! truer words were never spoken just because they make cheap guitars everybody hates on them i mean if slash used them they cant be all bad
All the mockingbirds, along with many other crazy BC rich shapes, ive played have been really neck heavy. Seems most non-strat/non-LP shaped guitars have this problem, which sux cause i do like interestingly shaoed bodies.
Last edited by dethfield at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by dethfield
All the mockingbirds, along with many other crazy BC rich shapes, ive played have been really neck heavy. Seems most non-strat/non-LP shaped guitars have this problem, which sux cause i do like interestingly shaoed bodies.

me too the most interesting are the oddly shaped guitars and i dont really mind the heaviness i meann les pauls can get decently heavy but it doesnt bother me to much but as far as look and weight hows your oppinion on the sound?
Well the Mockingbird has a very dark sound. It's made of Nato Mahogany which is a little less dense than mahogany used for some guitars, so it's a lighter.

The maple tops will make it a little brighter, but I have a feeling its veneer and not a real maple top. The ebony fretboard might make it sound a little brighter because it's very dense.

It'll weight somewhere around 14 pounds, without any doubt and I would imagine won't have any neck dive.

The sound is very Les Paul-esque. Very full and powerful yet dark, especially with the high-output Rockfields in it.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Well the Mockingbird has a very dark sound. It's made of Nato Mahogany which is a little less dense than mahogany used for some guitars, so it's a lighter.

The maple tops will make it a little brighter, but I have a feeling its veneer and not a real maple top. The ebony fretboard might make it sound a little brighter because it's very dense.

It'll weight somewhere around 14 pounds, without any doubt and I would imagine won't have any neck dive.

The sound is very Les Paul-esque. Very full and powerful yet dark, especially with the high-output Rockfields in it.

well i think its worth the cash overall but im waiting until the next sale so it drops a hundred or so and besides the mockingbird what other guitars would be a good buy for around $600-$800?
If you're looking for more funny shapes, there's the Schecter Avenger ($750), Dean Razorbacks, Dean Split-tails, Schecter Devil (might have to go used on those)...

Otherwise, almost any guitar in the Schecter Hellraiser/Blackjack series, and LTD guitars above 401.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
If you're looking for more funny shapes, there's the Schecter Avenger ($750), Dean Razorbacks, Dean Split-tails, Schecter Devil (might have to go used on those)...

Otherwise, almost any guitar in the Schecter Hellraiser/Blackjack series, and LTD guitars above 401.

well i really dont want a dean since the shapes i like most by them are explorers and i already have an explorer so its between a B.C. Rich or a Schetcher now i guess ill have to do some field testing thanks for all the help if you get any other ideas on guitars post them ASAP!
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
The Split-tail is half SG half V. Kinda cool, imo.

really? that sounds ummmmmmm differnt hahaha ill look into though who knows i might like it
Quote by guitarguyz61
me too the most interesting are the oddly shaped guitars and i dont really mind the heaviness i meann les pauls can get decently heavy but it doesnt bother me to much but as far as look and weight hows your oppinion on the sound?

no you mis-understood me. When i say "neck-heavy", i mean the guitar has bad balance. The headstock always wants to fall down to the ground when standing up and using a strap. This makes the guitar a bitch to play because while you are actually playing it, you are also using some of the strength in your arms to hold the neck up in a comfortable position. May not seem like a problem when reading it, but it can easily become a huge problem, especially when you are playing live.

Some say a thick strap can fix this, but it didnt really work with my mockingbird. You could also reposition the strap buttons, but it seems like you are spending your own time and effort to fix something that should have been dealt with before the guitar was ever put in production.
Last edited by dethfield at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by dethfield
no you mis-understood me. When i say "neck-heavy", i mean the guitar has bad balance. The headstock always wants to fall down to the ground when standing up and using a strap. This makes the guitar a bitch to play because while you are actually playing it, you are also using some of the strength in your arms to hold the neck up in a comfortable position. May not seem like a problem when reading it, but it can easily become a huge problem, especially when you are playing live.

Some say a thick strap can fix this, but it didnt really work with my mockingbird. You could also reposition the strap buttons, but it seems like you are spending your own time and effort to fix something that should have been dealt with before the guitar was ever put in production.

ohhhhhhhhh that does sound like a problem they should have delt with but once i go try it and see how it feels ill determine if i want it i mean they is a problem but how did you fix it with yours or did you just leave it?
Look into a Schecter Avenger Hellraiser.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
esp ltd mh-1000nt with duncans
or
schecter c-1 custom with duncans
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
esp ltd mh-1000nt with duncans
or
schecter c-1 custom with duncans

ive looked att the schecters and some esp's but i already have duncans in my les paul so i was looking for a guitar with rockfields in them now since they are sweet pickups and theyre on my buget and i wouldnt mine adding a B.C. Rich to my collection