hey im trying to make a rig (i play all types of metal) and due to my budget i have to get 1 or 2 effects at a time so im thinking i could start with

an electro harmonics bass muff

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Bass-Big-Muff-Pi-Distortion-Effects-Pedal?sku=528002

and a crybaby bass wah

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Crybaby-105Q-Bass-Wah-Pedal?sku=151096

for starters and see how it goes from there
i can either do that or buy me a boss me50b bass multi which has much more effects
but a friend told me that buying indivisiual effects is better

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ME50B-Bass-Multiple-Effects-with-COSM?sku=151433

im also open to other pedals that anyone might uggest to broaden my playing styles although im not into the synthetic bass stuff
and im also wondering if it safe to use electric guitar effects on a bass withouth anything happening to the bass or amp

thanx
I own a digitech bp200 and its works great for me. Its a pretty inexpensive multi effects processor and if you're only using it for practicing i would recommend it. If you are playing gigs and stuff then you'll have to ask another person because i have no experience in that, but i think a multi effects processor is the way to go. The Boss ME-50B is nicer than my pedal, I would definitely buy that over the individual pedals.
Last edited by Knight_Hawk at Jul 17, 2010,
well your worry would have to be if anything would happen to the effects, not the bass or amp, and it won't. Using guitar effects with a bass sometimes doesn't sound good because the pedals are designed to use guitar frequencies, not bass ones.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Just think if you're actually going to use them. A fuzz / distortion pedal would be great for metal, but the only real reason to use a wah would be for bass solos. Do you do a lot of bass solos? Becasue it may not be worth it. You could always go for less expensive pedals as well if you want to buy more. Or buy them used if you can,

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Multi Effects pedals, In my opinion have a lesser quality sound on all their effects as compared to singular pedals. Multi Effect pedals would be awesome to play around with what kind of effects you want, then you can find a single pedal with that effect.

Also, check out phaser or flangers, for those break downs with the prominent bass line.

Chorus is another one to check out, you could use it all the time even really subtle, it just gives a little something.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Bassist Rising
Just think if you're actually going to use them. A fuzz / distortion pedal would be great for metal, but the only real reason to use a wah would be for bass solos. Do you do a lot of bass solos? Becasue it may not be worth it. You could always go for less expensive pedals as well if you want to buy more. Or buy them used if you can,

any other products for bass fuzz cheaper than the one i have?
and yeah in my band i am doing allot of bass solo's
i gues over all a multi would be best from a budget point of view getting a wide variety of effects for less price than allot of indivisual pedals of higher quality
Quote by amrkamel99
any other products for bass fuzz cheaper than the one i have?
and yeah in my band i am doing allot of bass solo's
i gues over all a multi would be best from a budget point of view getting a wide variety of effects for less price than allot of indivisual pedals of higher quality

Individual effects have a better quality sound and is much easier to use on-stage as it would take a little bit of time switching through effects.

I say get a multi-effects now and play around to see what you like, then you'll know what pedals you want.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
The bass muff is great. And a note: it is relatively safe to buy pedals off of eBay and stuff. I have a bass muff and I got it for around $40. It works perfectly and came in box. Just do some research when you buy pedals online. Everybody sells them as is and is required to say if the pedal is "for parts", in which case you should steer clear. (And common sense stuff like emailing the owner about the pedal, looking at their ratings/comments, etc.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I love effects on bass. At one time my pedal board had about 23 or so pedals on it.

These days, though, i use far far less.

As someone else pointed out that MOST pedals are voiced for a guitar and therefore aren't great on bass. This is mainly in regards to dirt pedals (Fuzz, overdrive, and distortion). Most modulation, though, works fine.

The whole notion of "fuzz/distortion is only good for metal" is absurd. I don't play (or even really like) metal, and i have 3 fuzzes, 3 ODs and 2 distortions. Don't let genre relegate your pedal outlook.

IME, the best pedals to start out with on bass are fuzz and chorus. Both sound great and have good sounding (and inexpensive) versions that are wonderful on bass.

The EHX Bass Muff is WONDERFUL. I've had a few botique fuzzes in the past 3 years that have come and gone, but my bass muff has stayed (since i got it 2 years ago). The only fuzz i like better is my Bluebeard. But i use them for completely different things.

As for chorus, i would suggest a Boss CEB-3 bass chorus, a boss multi chorus or the danelectro cool cat chorus. Any of these three pedals can be found for less than $50 and chorus is SUCH a great effect on bass guitar for filling out sound. You can also use it to do 'crazy' sounds as well as tasteful.

After that, you need to look at what you are playing and decide which pedals would enhance your sound. More dirt? More modulation? When you decide what you want, you will have plenty of people to point you in good directions!

also:

-Multi pedals suck. period.
-I'm no wah fan (aside from a synth bass auto wah)... but if i WERE to use a wah, i wouldn't use a crybaby. It'd be an Ibanez Weaping Deamon or a Morley Power Wah.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Din of Win
I love effects on bass. At one time my pedal board had about 23 or so pedals on it.

also:

-Multi pedals suck. period.
-I'm no wah fan (aside from a synth bass auto wah)... but if i WERE to use a wah, i wouldn't use a crybaby. It'd be an Ibanez Weaping Deamon or a Morley Power Wah.

23 pedals? I think if I had the money, I would beat that. easy.

I have about 8 right now because I can't afford any more, but all of my money goes towards pedals.

Multi-pedals suck for everything other then getting a decent idea of what an effect sounds like. and thats the only thing I'd recommend them for.

The Vox V847 or something sounds good quite good. and the crybaby 535q is awesome too, practically no low end lost unless in the toe, and even then you can dial that to sound pretty bottom heavy.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Last edited by ZaccB at Jul 20, 2010,
Quote by ZaccB
23 pedals? I think if I had the money, I would beat that. easy.

Ugh... if i had the money i would beat that too!!

haha, i think that since 'discovering' pedals, i have spend more on them than basses/guitars/amps/cabs combined.

and inevitably... JUST when you think you've found the perfect pedal, you 'discover' a botique version that does what already sounds fine a liiiiiiittle bit better and for 2-4 times the price.

*sigh*
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by ZaccB

Multi-pedals suck for everything other then getting a decent idea of what an effect sounds like. and thats the only thing I'd recommend them for.

Only siths deal in absolutes

TS, theres nothing wrong with multi effects. Sure, they might sound a bit more digitally than individual pedals, but think of it like this. Either you can spend $400 and get a distortion pedal, a wah, and MAYBE a phase shifter or some other third pedal, or you can have access to over 50 pedals on an ME50b.

Consider the following. How good are your bass and your amp? If they are not somewhat high end, then the difference between the individual pedals and the multi is going to be much less noticeable (and important) anyways.

Heres my advice, get the ME50 or something like it, and then save up for a high end up and a high end bass. That way, you will really get the most out of your individual pedals when you buy them
Quote by Din of Win
Ugh... if i had the money i would beat that too!!

haha, i think that since 'discovering' pedals, i have spend more on them than basses/guitars/amps/cabs combined.

and inevitably... JUST when you think you've found the perfect pedal, you 'discover' a botique version that does what already sounds fine a liiiiiiittle bit better and for 2-4 times the price.

*sigh*

I know what you mean, I absolutely love my Sovtek muff, but I hear a tone of other fuzz's or grits that make me go... I WANT IT!

then there's the combining of effects. a heavy compression after or before... putting the chorus after or before, octave after or before, having two grits, a phaser after the fuzz and a flange before. different wahs. synths. GUH!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"