Sounds like an interesting venture and one that won't cost you very much money. Here is a tutorial on how to make a humbucker and sound clips of the guy playing his own homemade humbuckers in his hollow body guitar. It sounds very nice, but underneath the cover it looks very crude.

http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/buck/humbuck.htm
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 17, 2010,
Ask Nuthinbuttrubl8 about it. He makes pickups as a side job.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Ask Nuthinbuttrubl8 about it. He makes pickups as a side job.

I wonder how much money he makes doing it... I guess I'll have to wait for him to stop by this thread.
I've wound 5 pickups for a science experiment. I wound them just to make them work, not to achieve any sort of specific tone.

They're simple in principle, but there's a lot of factors that come into play when you're trying to achieve a specific sound.
I'm making a Jazzmaster pickup right now. The problem is I have 40AWG wire, not 42AWG as is commonly used. Apparently this means that it becomes much higher output at the same resistance...Which isn't entirely what I want
Maybe I'll try to order some 42AWG wire, if I can be bothered. Has anyone tried winding a pup with thicker wire?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
I'm making a Jazzmaster pickup right now. The problem is I have 40AWG wire, not 42AWG as is commonly used. Apparently this means that it becomes much higher output at the same resistance...Which isn't entirely what I want
Maybe I'll try to order some 42AWG wire, if I can be bothered. Has anyone tried winding a pup with thicker wire?

Sell it to some metalhead then!
somebody called me?

yes. I make pickups... I also make guitars. Trust me, I've sold more pickups than guitars, tho -.-

there's not much profit in it. big boutique places charge like $110-140 per pickup, I charge 85 (humbuckers). It takes me about 3-3.5 hours to make one between soldering, stripping, winding and potting... it's very tedious work. I enjoy the reaction when people play my pickups, though, that's why i do it.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by SmokeJs
Sounds like an interesting venture and one that won't cost you very much money. Here is a tutorial on how to make a humbucker and sound clips of the guy playing his own homemade humbuckers in his hollow body guitar. It sounds very nice, but underneath the cover it looks very crude.

http://galileo.spaceports.com/~fishbake/buck/humbuck.htm

keep telling yourself that..
Quote by Invader Jim
keep telling yourself that..

Coperwire, Magnet, plastic casing, screws, wax, slugs, etc, what will cost huge bucks on this thing?
Quote by SmokeJs
Coperwire, Magnet, plastic casing, screws, wax, slugs, etc, what will cost huge bucks on this thing?

time. rubl8 can do it in ~4 hours because hes done so many. Might take you quite a bit more time/patience/research, especially to be able to understand how to craft tone into your pups.
Quote by bbetances
time. rubl8 can do it in ~4 hours because hes done so many. Might take you quite a bit more time/patience/research, especially to be able to understand how to craft tone into your pups.

Oh I understand the whole time thing, it's going to be very labor intensive.
That wire is extremely expensive, even in bulk quantities. Granted, you'll most likely break the stuff the first couple attempts, so your looking at a a lot of money being spent to start out.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
i'll tell you honestly... a GFS humbucker probably costs less than the cost of parts for a humbucker and you don't have to spend hours trying to make them.

what would you use for a winder? how would you keep an accurate count? your initial investment is gonna be very high. the only way youll make your money back is make and sell a bunch of pickups...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

what would you use for a winder? how would you keep an accurate count? your initial investment is gonna be very high. the only way youll make your money back is make and sell a bunch of pickups...

I used a sewing machine and a calculator. The needle comes down and pushes the = button, adding another 1 to the count. Works fine if you don't go too fast (which I didn't, for fear of the wire breaking)

Just sayin'.