Okay, I know you all are sick of hearing this question, because frankly, I am too. Anyway, I need help choosing a death metal/melodic death metal amp. I play In Flames, Trivium, Lamb of God, etc. I'm looking for a tube amp between $800-1500 (possibly a little more). I've been doing some research and I know a lot of people love the 6505/6505+ models from Peavey. But I'm wondering if there are really any better options for the price range. Any input is appreciated.
go for a used mesa dual rec combo...probably find one for about 1600
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
If you want a metal amp you'll probably have to build it yourself, most amps come made out of like plywood.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
If you want a metal amp you'll probably have to build it yourself, most amps come made out of like plywood.

lol at that joke. look at the ENGL amps as they produce great heavy distortion much like the Peavey's but they are brighter and the cleans are amazing.
Quote by I am wet

or if you're lucky... timber.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
regardless of what people hear will try to tell you, The bugera 6260 120w head is a great buy. It is great for getting the metal sound your after. I also use a ibanez tube screamer pedal to tighten up the amps distortion and the best thing is you will have change from $800!

goodluck!
mesa
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
@Stretch_Wilson

Do you have any suggestions on ENGLs? The only ones I know of are the Powerball and Fireball.
alright so sorry for that failed humor, alright so i think mesa would be a good bet
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
powerball and fireball will get you anything you want, ive heard the screamer too and its also pretty good. the only thing about engl for me tho, is that they are like uber bright and almost sound fizzy. judas priest used them in the 90s, i forget which album/albums, but the tone they give are great for that type of music i think, but depending on what style of metal youre playing, IMO it wouldnt sound as good. id imagine these would be great for like black metal or something tho. i think NeObliviscaris are using them on their album that they are recording right now, and if youre a regular to the metal forum you know what im talking about, and you know the band members are on all the time. id consider posting in that thread and asking one of them about it.

EDIT: and for mesa, any of the rectifier series would be good, but with your budget id go for the dual, more options than the single. they seem to be the most popular of the series anyway, and i think they just slightly redesigned it giving it wattage switches and other things very recently.

what types of metal are you trying to play and what artists tones do you favor? our replies could vary a little depending on what your influences are.

EDIT #2: shit lol sorry ive been going back and forth between a couple of threads. you did post your influences. with that in mind, id say anything ive said above still stands and also check out the mark series, the dude from LoG uses mark 4 i think
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Jul 17, 2010,
Used Mesa Mark III or Mark IV. Br00t4l and tight as ****. I know LoG used the IVs up until the Vs came out. IIRC Trivium uses a 6505 but to be honest I've never really cared for them or their tone. Same with In Flames.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I have a screamer combo and i plan to buy a 2x12 cabinet loaded with a greenback and another speaker not yet choosen. But it is a seriously tight amp and can dial in almost any type of distortion.

It is German made, i think that is enough said.