A good buddy of mine purchased an old Japanese guitar of with an unknown brand. He entrusted it to me because it does not work and I have fixed his guitars several times.

Anyway, I have the guitar wired correctly and all that, but the pickup that came with the guitar is extremely quiet. I can turn the amp to full volume and can barely hear it. The pickup is very bizarre... it is about a 3/8ths of an inch thick with out the cover on it and is certainly no standard pickup

I can't figure out the problem. Maybe coil wire broke somewhere and a significant amount of the pickup is now just not receiving power? Could the magnet maybe be broken?
Does anyone know how to fix this, or I am gonna have to router out a spot to stick a traditional single coil...
Pictures? And maybe some of the wires inside shorted out, although a 3/8" pickup is kind of odd too...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
how dare you come here without pics.

i have a couple of pups that are about 1/4 - 3/8" thick and have just a soapbar cover. maybe we have the same type. i'd love to know what mine are. they came from a homemade tele-style semi-hollow that a friend's grandpa made back when. the bottom of the bridge pup has an ink stamp dating it to 1960. cloth covered wire with a braided shield and an inner insulated wire... really want to know their origin, anyone who stumbled onto this from google...