Up until the other day I had been playing combos all my life. That is, until yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a Kustom Groove600 which I love. Ive played it on a hartke 4x10 and a no name 1x15. It sounded like sex on both, but I prefer the 4x10.

Heres where I need help though. I know Im gonna get some form of 4 ten inch speakers, so first off, what are some good brands to try out? Second off, my car is NOT gonna fit a "normal" size cabinet (2 door toyata celica). So my question is, if I get 2 2x10s, can I get the same tone as a 4x10?

Also, I know theres been a lot of hype around 12 inch speakers. Can anyone with experience with them talk a little about pros/cons compared to 10 and 15 inch speakers?
Yes, you can run a pair of 2x10 cabinets, but you won't be using your amplifier as efficiently as if you went with a 4x10. And you'd be surprised what you can fit into a 2-door hatchback.

The Kustom Groove Bass amplifiers are among the most underrated bass amps on the market. They are well made, have great tones and are as loud as hell.

I am not a fan of 12" speakers for bass. I know some manufacturers have jumped on the 12" bass bandwagon, but with the exception of Mesa they are mostly found in single speaker combos. For such an amp, I would rather have a single 15" speaker. Some knowledgeable people say that a 12" neodymium speaker sounds better for bass than a standard 12" bass speaker. Your ears will have to be the judge.

Mesa's bass speakers sound amazing, but I don't know if you can buy them individually. Ditto for Trace Elliot. Eminence speakers seem to be among the most popular and highly rated for bass. Carvin makes some very good bass speakers, and you can buy them individually.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
are you sure about your car?

http://image.modified.com/f/17353147+w750+st0/0009_09zoom+toyota_celica_coupe+trunk.jpg

also, if yours doesn't do that, see how big your trunk actually is. I have a 1x15 combo amp and it fits in some pretty small trunks. See if you can fit something similar in size to a cab.

also also, some companies have started making 2x12 cabs that are set side-by-side like most 2x10 cabs are, maybe look into one of those?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by tubatom868686
Up until the other day I had been playing combos all my life.
Also, I know theres been a lot of hype around 12 inch speakers. Can anyone with experience with them talk a little about pros/cons compared to 10 and 15 inch speakers?

Same here.
A couple years ago I retired (to the music room) my early 1980's Polytone Mini Brute, 100w 1x15, which I bought new. I replaced it with a Bergantino 1x12. Probably not much help in comparisons, but I love the single 12; deep and rich, yet quite articulate.
You can use 2 2x10s but it wont be as efficent.
current gear:
ld15 amp
fender j bass
sterling ray34
Quote by tubatom868686
Up until the other day I had been playing combos all my life. That is, until yesterday. I am now the proud owner of a Kustom Groove600 which I love. Ive played it on a hartke 4x10 and a no name 1x15. It sounded like sex on both, but I prefer the 4x10.

Sex = a 4x10 on top of a 1x15.

Heres where I need help though. I know Im gonna get some form of 4 ten inch speakers, so first off, what are some good brands to try out? Second off, my car is NOT gonna fit a "normal" size cabinet (2 door toyata celica). So my question is, if I get 2 2x10s, can I get the same tone as a 4x10?

As stated your amp wond be as efficient on 2 2x10s as it would on a 4x10. Also, it'll be way cheaper to get 1 4x10 than it would to get 2 2x10s. Most gear places will let you try and load your stuff up to see if it fits. Remember, they want your $$$, so they'll put up with odd requests if it means making a few hundred off a cab.

IMO, it's personal prefferance.

Personally, i like 15s. However, it's an economic thing. It's just cheaper to maintain/replace a fifteen than it is for multiple 10s. Also, 15" cabs are just cheaper in general. Tonaly, 10's mathematically displace the most air and are the most efficient. Today speaker technology is to the point where the old "15's are better for lows and 10's can only do highs" is just not aplicable. 12's use to fill in that medium and produce really good mids. But again, today's speakers can do anything. I've played out of a 4x10 that handled lows better than my 1x18.

So yeah, mathematically and technically stay with 10's. But it's really just a personal thing.

Also... what hype around 12s? I have NEVER heard of any hype around 12s on bass. The only hype i've seen as of late is hype in the other direction for 8, 6, and 5 inch speakers...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Who says 2 2x10's wont be as effecient. The 4x10 is one of the worlds worst designed cabs.
2 2x10's vertically stacked is like an 8x10 with more mids. You can play a low B through them aswell. It works very well and is loud.

What are your needs for this. What music and what budget. If you can get 2 Tc 2x10's youre sorted.
Im presuming youll probably have Pa support aswell. The highest 2x10 will be at ear height which will give great monitering unlike a 4x10.

Or even a 1x15 and a 2x10 with the drivers aligned. This would work as well and give you a ricker low end.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
When using stacks, it's important to understand Ohms. If you have an amp that says "500 Watts at 4 Ohms" that means that if you are running a single 4 ohm cab, or TWO 8 Ohm cabs, then you will get the full 500 Watts and be running healthily.
You CAN run an 8 Ohm cab through a 4 Ohm, but not 2 Ohm's through 4 Ohm's.

Ehh I'm not the best at explaining it, there's a good thread on TalkBass about it. But basically if you're running two 8 Ohm cabs, then you take 8 and half it and that shows that combined, they run at 4 Ohms. With two 4 Ohm cabs, half it, runs at 2 Ohms.

To the best of my knowledge, it's OK to run over the Ohmage (8 into 4) but not under (2 into 4) because then you're over powering your amp and may fry it.

Most guitar stores will be able to test the ohmage of the cab it's self if it's not on the label on the back. Most 410's are 4 ohms, but you can probably find them in 8 Ohm's, in case you want to run another 8 ohm cab (seeing as most decent heads run at 4 Ohms).
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol