Page 14 of 14
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
Egnater guys,

What amp sounds like a boosted Rebel 30?

Really love it's boosted tone, but without the SD-1 in front it's just WAY too flabby and woolly sounding to me. Haven't found an amp with an OD tone I liked better than the boosted Rebel yet and it's driving me crazy.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Renegade?

Will try one.

But from sound clips (which I know is BS, but whatever) it doesn't sound much tighter or punchier, but kinda smoother and darker, which is more like the opposite of what I'm going for.

Basically I'm looking for a fat, thick, tight, somewhat more aggressive and modern boosted JCM800 kind of thing for my OD tone I guess.
Tried quite a lot of amps so far, but the boosted Rebel did best all the time, yet it still isn't quite there, mostly responsive-wise. I feel it's just a bit too woolly/wet sounding and a bit too saggy when it comes to responsiveness.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Jhachey22
Bαnned on the Run
2,898 IQ
Quote by JesusCrisp
Will try one.

But from sound clips (which I know is BS, but whatever) it doesn't sound much tighter or punchier, but kinda smoother and darker, which is more like the opposite of what I'm going for.

Basically I'm looking for a fat, thick, tight, somewhat more aggressive and modern boosted JCM800 kind of thing for my OD tone I guess.
Tried quite a lot of amps so far, but the boosted Rebel did best all the time, yet it still isn't quite there, mostly responsive-wise. I feel it's just a bit too woolly/wet sounding and a bit too saggy when it comes to responsiveness.

I hear you. I don't really ever turn off my compressor when I use my Rebel 20. But then again, I've never used an amp that didn't need one or two things (EQ, OD, compressor, reverb, etc) in front of it or in the loop to get it to sound the way I want.

I think it's the combination of things that gets you that sound, though. I mean, Eric Johnson could have used a higher gain amp instead of running a fuzz face, compressor and tube driver into a plexi, but it probably wouldn't have resulted in that 1000 pound violin sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
Quote by Jhachey22
I hear you. I don't really ever turn off my compressor when I use my Rebel 20. But then again, I've never used an amp that didn't need one or two things (EQ, OD, compressor, reverb, etc) in front of it or in the loop to get it to sound the way I want.

I think it's the combination of things that gets you that sound, though. I mean, Eric Johnson could have used a higher gain amp instead of running a fuzz face, compressor and tube driver into a plexi, but it probably wouldn't have resulted in that 1000 pound violin sound.

I guess you're right, even Rectos need Tubescreamers in front most of the time and boosted JCM800s are kinda THE go to hard rock/metal tones in music. Plus some guys even use pedals to boost and tighten up Mesa Marks and other already tight high gain amps.

But I'd like something that sounds more like what I want in first place. The OD-channel doesn't sound usable to me without the SD-1 in front unless it's for simple powerchord rythms. Palm muting almost feels like paddling in the mud.
With EMGs or tight sounding passives it works better, but it still doesn't sound as accurate/tight as I want it to be (feel-wise).

I guess my amp-search is going on.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
7,171 IQ
^ it may just be because it is a lower watt amp

i mean it is hard to get all of that out of low watt amp no?

i put a boost and EQ in loop in my Splawn to get it the way I want it.

i thought the renegade sounded pretty damn good stock and has the 18w step down option
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama
1,736 IQ
Definitely give the renegade a shot. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but there are a lot of great sounds in it. Play around with the tube blend. Cranking it all the way to the EL-34 side gives it a pretty nice brit flavor.

I typically played mine with a TS9 out front, but I played it plenty without any boost, and I thought it sounded great either way.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I am wet
Registered User of Water
1,284 IQ
Sorry I've been awol for a few years, I'll get the front page of this thread updated later today!

EDIT: I updated some descriptions and added the pedals
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Jul 18, 2013,
I am wet
Registered User of Water
1,284 IQ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

Good to see you again. I was wondering if you were coming back.

Busy with school/ I haven't had a guitar with me at school for a while now, next year once I get my own house I probably will though.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
Today I got a Rebel 20.

/dance

Now what? I still have GAS....

-.-
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
920 IQ
HNAD! New tubes and some p90's.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 26, 2013,
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
AxSilentxLine, that's epic!

Just curious, but is your Armageddon running into an Orange Closed-Back 4x12 with V30's?

It makes me want to fire up my Vengeance and bring the pain!

Which, btw, I now run a boost (Hardwire CM-2) in front of, and I cannot believe the massive difference it made in terms of response alone. I never understood it when I would see/hear about people boosting a 5150/6505 considering the massive amounts of Gain those amps are capable of, but nothing really matches the response you get when you have an OD on in front of an amp. I'm starting to see why the guys behind the JCM900/Blackstar thought their shenannigans would be a good idea

I mean, they were still wrong, but I can see where it might have started with good intentions

My band should have a finished EP any day now, which I, of course, used my Vengeance on, although this was before I bought the CM-2. I'll post some links once I have them.
telejojo
188 IQ
I bought a Tweaker40 and Egnater 212 cab and now I need a reverb and delay pedal.I love the tones I'm getting but sounds like I'm in a room with foam rubber on the walls.
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute
Gibson Les Paul jr.
Epiphone Les paul gold top
Fender strat mim.
Fender Tele. mim
PRS SE245
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead
488 IQ
Quote by telejojo
I bought a Tweaker40 and Egnater 212 cab and now I need a reverb and delay pedal.I love the tones I'm getting but sounds like I'm in a room with foam rubber on the walls.

What are you looking for in a reverb and delay man? I could suggest a plethora of pedals.

As to the overall sound, maybe try a retube?
telejojo
188 IQ
I bought a TC HOF mini and it is a lot better.................more like I was wanting as I don't use much distortion it works good for me.
Gibson SG
Gibson Les Paul 60s tribute
Gibson Les Paul jr.
Epiphone Les paul gold top
Fender strat mim.
Fender Tele. mim
PRS SE245
ikey_
4,739 IQ
i have TC stuff. i have the trinity from PGS and the flashback delay. i LOVE them both. i am blown away by the features and tone.

...you can beam in toneprints from your i phone through your guitar pickups. what? what kind of area 51 space age stuff is that?!?!?!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
AxSilentxLine, that's epic!

Just curious, but is your Armageddon running into an Orange Closed-Back 4x12 with V30's?

It makes me want to fire up my Vengeance and bring the pain!

Which, btw, I now run a boost (Hardwire CM-2) in front of, and I cannot believe the massive difference it made in terms of response alone. I never understood it when I would see/hear about people boosting a 5150/6505 considering the massive amounts of Gain those amps are capable of, but nothing really matches the response you get when you have an OD on in front of an amp. I'm starting to see why the guys behind the JCM900/Blackstar thought their shenannigans would be a good idea

I mean, they were still wrong, but I can see where it might have started with good intentions

My band should have a finished EP any day now, which I, of course, used my Vengeance on, although this was before I bought the CM-2. I'll post some links once I have them.

Thought i'd drop back in here after a few months haha! Yeah it's going into the Orange 4x12
Jilson324
Registered Asshole
99 IQ
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a Tweaker 40 head pretty soon here, there's a used one at my local GC for 300-ish bucks I think it was. I was just wondering if those with experience with this head could tell me roughly what it's maximum situation where I could play it un-mic'd. I don't play in a band or anything right now, just jamming in friend's basements and at home, but I'd hope I'd be able to play some small shows if I wanted to.
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
Quote by Jilson324
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a Tweaker 40 head pretty soon here, there's a used one at my local GC for 300-ish bucks I think it was. I was just wondering if those with experience with this head could tell me roughly what it's maximum situation where I could play it un-mic'd. I don't play in a band or anything right now, just jamming in friend's basements and at home, but I'd hope I'd be able to play some small shows if I wanted to.

For a few bucks more, you'll probably be happier with the Tweaker 88, also available at GC Used. I had one before I went up to the TourMaster.
Jilson324
Registered Asshole
99 IQ
Quote by Ippon
For a few bucks more, you'll probably be happier with the Tweaker 88, also available at GC Used. I had one before I went up to the TourMaster.

I had also thought about the 88, but I'm worried that it might be too much for when I'm just playing by myself at home and I won't be able to crank it enough to push the tubes or something. This is also going to be my first tube amp so I guess I'm also a bit paranoid about making the wrong decision when I comes time to buy.
Thanks for your help though dude.
Jilson324
Registered Asshole
99 IQ
All right cool. When you had your Tweaker, were you running it through the Tweaker cab?
black_box
Tab Contributor
247 IQ
I saw they dropped prices on at least some of their amps, the Vengeance ($999) and Armageddon ($1499). Has anyone bought an egnator lately? this thread is 6 months old now...