Page 4 of 14
Well...I got a chance to sit down with a Renegade again...

...and if I wasn't GASing for one before, I am now!

I'm happy to report that even WITHOUT the boost, I was able to get some great heavy tones....nothing too Br00tal, but it could easily pull off Dream Theater, Faith No More, and the like. I know that if I got to play this f**ker at home with my TS9, it would cover all my bases.

Essentially, the Rengade has a LOT more gain than the Rebel...I can get unboosted gain levels that sound like my Rebel with the boost in front...which is great, because I'd be able to use my boost more sparingly.

God I need one of these things.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I agree. The Renegade is a beast. I want one. It can do low gain quite nicely too.

Yes, it can. I've been thinking about it, and I think it is probably the most versatile 2-Channel amp I've played. Even more versatile than some 3 channels, and WAY better sounding than quite a few 4-channels.

And of course, its cheap. WAY too cheap for what you're getting.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
'sup

ive been looking at the egnater tweaker for a good hard rock tone for guns and other classic/hard rock bands. do you guys think this will fit the bill? i checked the reviews on youtube and it all sounded great. i was considering the jet city before this, but this really sounds bigger and a fuller sound. would you guys agree? would a tube swap to el34 make it even better for that?
Quote by crazygnr1996
'sup

ive been looking at the egnater tweaker for a good hard rock tone for guns and other classic/hard rock bands. do you guys think this will fit the bill? i checked the reviews on youtube and it all sounded great. i was considering the jet city before this, but this really sounds bigger and a fuller sound. would you guys agree? would a tube swap to el34 make it even better for that?

i think it is great for that stuff. i prefer the 34s myself.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by crazygnr1996
'sup

I prefer the Tweaker to the JCA20 as well.

Yeah, if you're going to play GN'R type hard rock music with the Tweaker, I'd switch the 6V6s for EL84s.

However, if I may make an alternate suggestion...I'd go for the Rebel 20!

Its $550 as opposed to the Tweaker's $400...but it has variable wattage, and a tube mix...so you can blend 6V6s and EL84s together.

The Tweaker has more gain than the Rebel 20, and it is a lot more versatile...but if you're looking for a straight ahead GN'R hard rock tone, I'd say go for the Rebel...I think it does that tone better than the Tweaker...and the gain is just right for it.

Its your call obviously...each amp has its pros and cons. I think the Rebel 20 is more focused in its tone, and the type of music you want to play is perfect for it...

But if you want to switch around styles, and do some more gainy stuff, go for the Tweaker.

For example, when I bought my Rebel 20 I was playing Classic/Hard Rock almost exclusively, and it was perfect for me. However now I'm getting more into Prog and DT-ish metal, so the Tweaker would suit me a little better.
Quote by rmr024

cool man thanks, sounds like a got a few amps to check out next weekend. jet city, tweaker, rebel, blackstar . cant wait!
Hey everyone!

Haven't stopped by in a while due to being out of town a lot and then school starting, but this weekend I hooked up my Blackheart and Egnater to run in stereo and wow, it sounds amazing. With the gain cranked on the Egnater and over drive going on the Blackheart I can get a very good metal sound. And for classic rock i use my ocd to drive the amps.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Egnaters!

PS I'll try to post some more since senior year really hasn't turned out to be very hard other than the hangovers.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Aug 30, 2010,
bump!
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by I am wet
Hey everyone!
I'll try to post some more since senior year really hasn't turned out to be very hard other than the hangovers.

yeah the hangovers are tougher senior year.

and if you make it to senior year of uni and it's not any easier, well, what the fock were you doing the past three years?
Ey Guys, I've heard that the Egnater Renegade (though amazing) can't really handle metal tones, or deth core for that matter. Is that true?
Quote by SGlover69
Ey Guys, I've heard that the Egnater Renegade (though amazing) can't really handle metal tones, or deth core for that matter. Is that true?

Not really, no. I heard that Egnater will be coming out with more "Metal" amps soon, though. Keep an eye out for them.
With a boost the Renegade can absolutely handle metal. I can get Strapping Young Lad gain levels out of my Rebel 20 with a boost, and it has a lot less gain than the Renegade.

The metal amps are called the Armageddon and the Vengeance btw...and the Vengeance is just a smaller version of the Armageddon.
Quote by rmr024

Would the Armageddon or Vengence much more worth saving up for and grabbing if I'm gonna play stuff like ADTR/Dance Gavin Dance/ Asking Alexandria/ Metallica/ Megadeth stuff? Mostly Deathcore, but metal is a good addition. The thing is, I do however love versatility. I want to be able to play ACDC, and even Chilli peppers songs, so I can get that Rock distortion, and then the really light, amazing sounding clean, but then be able to kick the distortion into ignition and immediately have an amp that makes people go "HOLY SHIT!"
Quote by SGlover69
Would the Armageddon or Vengence much more worth saving up for and grabbing if I'm gonna play stuff like ADTR/Dance Gavin Dance/ Asking Alexandria/ Metallica/ Megadeth stuff? Mostly Deathcore, but metal is a good addition. The thing is, I do however love versatility. I want to be able to play ACDC, and even Chilli peppers songs, so I can get that Rock distortion, and then the really light, amazing sounding clean, but then be able to kick the distortion into ignition and immediately have an amp that makes people go "HOLY SHIT!"

I don't know dude, the amp isn't out yet. If Egnater's other amps are any indication, I'd go out on a limb and say yes.
Quote by rmr024

I've watched a few videos of the Vengence and Armageddon and they are pretty cool looking for metal guys.
Lets jump in a pool

Hey guys i have used a blues junior alot and for the gigs i play its almost perfect so im thinkin about bumping up to a rebel 20 or 30. I love my bj but sometimes i just need a bit more clean headroom and i only need a great clean channel everything else is on my pedal board so which should i go for.
Quote by SLonergan
What's the word on the Renegade I am wet? Can it Br00t out with a boost?

with a boost and an EQ in the loop it will get you pretty damn close. i just did it for the hell of it, and it was pretty good.

i think the armageddon will be amazing when it comes out.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by bluestratplayer
Hey guys i have used a blues junior alot and for the gigs i play its almost perfect so im thinkin about bumping up to a rebel 20 or 30. I love my bj but sometimes i just need a bit more clean headroom and i only need a great clean channel everything else is on my pedal board so which should i go for.

If you ONLY need a clean channel, I guess I'd go for the Rebel 20...no need for the 30's second channel.
Quote by rmr024

Ok so the 20w would have plenty of headroom for bar and club gigs. i mike my amp for outdoor gigs anyway so not to worried about that. anyway i appreciate your help because i have never gotten to play one of these egnaters but the review i have heard sounded very good.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Ok so the 20w would have plenty of headroom for bar and club gigs. i mike my amp for outdoor gigs anyway so not to worried about that. anyway i appreciate your help because i have never gotten to play one of these egnaters but the review i have heard sounded very good.

Well, I've never attempted to crack my Rebel 20 with a clean sound...make sure you try it first!
Quote by rmr024

my tweaker has enough clean headroom for small bar gigs without a problem. i would think the rebel 20 would as well.
Quote by gregs1020
my tweaker has enough clean headroom for small bar gigs without a problem. i would think the rebel 20 would as well.

Well there you go!
Quote by rmr024

that was the first thing i tested when i got it. while switching channels would be nice it takes dirt pedals well enough so it was really down to headroom.

it has the most with 6L6s, but enough with EL34s. 6v6s not so much, it breaks up pretty early.
Gregs thank you for your input. i will go check them out ofcourse but this really helps narrow down the amps i have to find to check out cause i didnt want to drive forever to try them all.
cool, glad to help.

also, i think the stock sovtech preamp tubes should be sacrificed to the circular file. (keep as back ups). it made a nice difference once i swapped them out. i didn't even put in anything that stellar. a modern EH12ax7 and a JJ12ax7. I left V2 with a sovtech. V1 made the biggest improvement. good luck.
Quote by gregs1020

also, i think the stock sovtech preamp tubes should be sacrificed to the circular file. (keep as back ups). it made a nice difference once i swapped them out. i didn't even put in anything that stellar. a modern EH12ax7 and a JJ12ax7. I left V2 with a sovtech. V1 made the biggest improvement. good luck.

I still haven't switched the tubes on my Rebel...I have no idea how to go about doing that.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
I still haven't switched the tubes on my Rebel...I have no idea how to go about doing that.

it's really easy. wiggle them a little while pulling them straight out. lemme find a tube layout on the rebel. i'd just try putting a new EH12ax7 in V1. (V1 is a tube position in the layout). brb

when you look in the back of the amp, V1 is the one on the right, furthest back towards the front of the amp. it's next to the output transformer. you can email egnater customer service to be 100% sure, i pulled that info off of another site. it wouldn't hurt anything at all if it's not V1, so set worry aside. a 12ax7 is a 12ax7, the amp doesn't care who made the tube.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020

when you look in the back of the amp, V1 is the one on the right, furthest back towards the front of the amp. it's next to the output transformer.

Do I just pull the old one out, and stick the new one in? Or do I do anything special?
Quote by rmr024

Quote by SLonergan
Do I just pull the old one out, and stick the new one in? Or do I do anything special?

basically yes. make sure the amp is unplugged from the wall and the tubes are cool to touch. simply pull straight out and take notice of how the pins line up with the socket. there is a larger space between two of the pins than the rest. line up the new tube the exact same way so they go in correctly or you could bust a pin off creating a problem. tubes only go in one way, that being with all the pins going into the respective places on the socket.

no twisting! a little wiggling may be needed, but not more than it takes to just get it coming out.

edit: egnater recommends doing shots of jim beam shortly after, just so you know.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 13, 2010,
Quote by gregs1020

edit: egnater recommends doing shots of jim beam shortly after, just so you know.

Unfortunately I don't drink (I know, what kind of guitarist AM I?!?!?)!

Thanks for the help..I'll order some tubes with my next paycheck..

...after I pay off all the shit that I just bought
Quote by rmr024

jim bean is too strong for me!
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by I am wet

searchbar "laney thread" lol.
Quote by gregs1020
searchbar "laney thread" lol.

nah for some reason its hard for me, other whiskey is totally fine but jim bean is tough!
Lets jump in a pool

i tried that new beam that kid rock is backing. Red something or another. It's kind of sweet, not as bad as southern comfort but sweet. i thought it was pretty good.
Oh baby...its getting close...

Order of purchases coming up:

Pickups+Guitar setup

Egnater Renegade

412 Cab

Getting Excited!
Quote by rmr024

Within the next few months I'll be buying the Renegade! I previously owned the Rebel 30 but didn't like the voicing, and the Renegade is a lot better voiced for my style.

Now I don't what cab/speakers to get since this is my first head purchase
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Quote by I am wet

I go Jim Lahey on that shit
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.