So I've been trying to do some legato runs to speed up some playing, it's a pretty basic one and I've been playing it slowy and getting pretty accurate at it but I was wondering if I was doing the right fingers for the right frets.
It goes E--3h5h7, I was just wondering for the 5 if I use my 2nd finger or 3rd finger or whichever is most comfortable?
Quote by dyl24
So I've been trying to do some legato runs to speed up some playing, it's a pretty basic one and I've been playing it slowy and getting pretty accurate at it but I was wondering if I was doing the right fingers for the right frets.
It goes E--3h5h7, I was just wondering for the 5 if I use my 2nd finger or 3rd finger or whichever is most comfortable?

Depends on the context in my opinion. To my mind you should develop your fingers to the point where you can choose based on what's coming before and after.

However, from a purely biomechanical point of view the 1, 2 and 4 fingers should be easier as the 3 and 4 fingers share a tendon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It really doesn't matter much. Personally it would depend on where you were going next. If you moved from 3h5h7 to 5h7h8 I would use the second finger on 5 and that way my third finger was free for the 7 in the next part. Likewise if I was going from 3h5h7 to 2h3h5 I would use my third finger on the 5 and that leaves the second finger for 3 on the next part. But if you are just doing that part by itself then it really doesn't matter and is totally up to you. It would be a good finger exercise to alternate though
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends on the context in my opinion. To my mind you should develop your fingers to the point where you can choose based on what's coming before and after.

However, from a purely biomechanical point of view the 1, 2 and 4 fingers should be easier as the 3 and 4 fingers share a tendon.

Cheers for a quick reply, thats the way I do it now but sometimes when I get to the top e string it goes e-8h10-12 and I sometimes get the urge to use my 3rd finger for the 10th fret hammer on so I thought maybe if I'm subconsiously doing that that maybe I would find it more comfortable to use my 3rd finger but whenever I try to use my 3rd finger at slower speeds it is in no way more comfortable or accurate, probably less so actually..
Quote by dyl24
Cheers for a quick reply, thats the way I do it now but sometimes when I get to the top e string it goes e-8h10-12 and I sometimes get the urge to use my 3rd finger for the 10th fret hammer on so I thought maybe if I'm subconsiously doing that that maybe I would find it more comfortable to use my 3rd finger but whenever I try to use my 3rd finger at slower speeds it is in no way more comfortable or accurate, probably less so actually..

I think in this case it's probably safe to say that if your body wants you to do things that way then it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be the most comfortable in the long run, just beware of letting particular combinations of fingers get weak and you'll be fine
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You should use whichever is most comfortable for yourself. I personally find using my second finger to be the easiest; as Zephold mentioned it is because of anatomical reasons