Page 1 of 2
In the midst of all these Tweakers, I've got something different to show today

Story time, skip to pics and beyond if you don't care. So I took another road trip to GC today to return my Egnater Rebel 30. Nice cleans, crappy gain (except in low gain). I decided to spend a few hours there and get a good look at all my options before making a decision since I don't want to make any more returns. I tried about 6 amps before reaching a decision:

Egnater Tweaker - Overrated. Again, the cleans are nice, but the distortion is lousy (besides low-gain). Anyone who says it can pull off a Marshall crunch is exaggerating BIG TIME. Good build quality though, and looks very reliable. *Raises flameshield*

Peavey Valveking - Impressive cleans for the $350 price tag, but sterile and harsh sounding distortion.

Spider Valve - Pretty good cleans, but everything else reeks of that brittle digital sound.

Orange Tiny Terror - Fizz galore! No amount of tweaking got rid of that nasty fizzing sound!

Peavey 6505+ 112 - Ew. Boring cleans, boring distortion. The voicing is very dark. The amp has no character compared to it's big brother.

Then I reached my 6th amp, and I was blown away with what I heard.

Hmm... I wonder whats in the box?

Any guesses yet?

Oh lord, she's a beauty!

But wait, there's more... Time to kick this amp into high gear!

Mmmm... I loves me some green!

Ok... time for the reviews...

Fender Blues Jr NOS - What can I say, Fender cleans are simply unbeatable. So warm and glassy, I can't get enough of it... Pump of the volume and press the "Fat" switch and you have a nice crunch perfect for blues/rock. From Hendrix to AC/DC to Lynyrd Skynyrd, the blues-rock guitarist in me has been satisfied. But the 80s rocker is lost... Fortunately the Fender is perfect for pedals!

Fulltone OCD - You've all heard about it, it's raved by just about everyone who has had the fortune to play one. From blues-rock like Aerosmith and Bad Company to that beautiful british crunch I've been dying to have, this pedal covers those grounds perfectly. Roll off the volume and it also cleans up nicely. But now I need a little more push to get me into screaming high gain...

MXR Classic Overdrive - This is the icing on the cake. Power up this baby after the OCD and its endless sustain and hot, screaming solos. It takes a while to learn to control the feedback, but now I can play Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Extreme, Metallica, Dream Theater, and more by just tweaking this. This is the secret to my setup. Plus its green!

...I couldn't be happier with my setup. The Egnater isn't as impressive as I was told, and the Marshalls and Mesas are too expensive. Now through this setup, I've got Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Dream Theater, and Bon Jovi just by a few tweaks. A killer setup, all for less than I spent on the Egnater Rebel 30. My search is over for now.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
You should have taken that OCD and ran it through the amps you said had crappy gain. Just sayin.

HNAD though!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
i disagree with everyone of your reviews.
thanx though. bai.

by the way what does a blues junior have to do with fender cleans...
pair of el84s really capturing that ole leo spirit....

oh ya!

happy day!
don't let shot near your blues junior though. he'll frankenstein it.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
i disagree with everyone of your reviews.
thanx though. bai.

Thats cool, thanks for stopping by.

EDIT: I get the feeling you're pro-Tweaker

As for the OCD, I did run it through the Tweaker and wasn't as impressed with the result I got out of the Fender. Plus, I wanted Fender cleans rather than a Fender imitation. Definitely worth the extra 70 bucks!
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Last edited by baf250 at Jul 17, 2010,
I've played many Blues Jrs and they are cool amps no doubt. Gratz on yours. HNAD

otherwise, I think you were a bit quick to dismiss the others as most of those are less likely to need pedals but do you know what................

.....it is what you like.
Fender cleans versus fender imitation.

Again, I'm just confused as to what 2 el84s has to do with fender cleans

Quote by AcousticMirror

Play the amp and hear for yourself. This amp is perfect for 50s and 60s shit.

@311ZOSOVHJH: The only one I felt I didn't give enough time was the Tweaker. My mini "reviews" were basically first impressions. The Valveking and 6505+ I gave good time though. Just not my style amp. None of the amps were necessarily bad, just not my thing.

But once I heard the cleans and blues grit coming out of the Fender, I was amazed. To me, nothing beats a nice crunchy blues tone, and I think I made the right decision for my tastes. All I need to do is pick up a wah now!
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

I understand that the power tubes in the Blues Junior are completly different from most Fenders, but although it dosn't sound the same as a Twin or whatever, it does still have that Fender vibe about it, and I like it. Happy new amp day man.

Also, I said it in your last thread about the Tweaker, but your guitar is rather fantastic.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I understand that the power tubes in the Blues Junior are completly different from most Fenders, but although it dosn't sound the same as a Twin or whatever, it does still have that Fender vibe about it, and I like it. Happy new amp day man.

Also, I said it in your last thread about the Tweaker, but your guitar is rather fantastic.

Thank you!
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

HNAD!I almost got that instead of my Tweaker. The secret to the gain with the Tweaker is to change the power tubes

I do rather enjoy a Blues Junior, though.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by AcousticMirror

Although the power section of an amp and what it uses to amplify its signal is pretty important to the tone of the amp itself, tube type isn't exactly as all-encompassing as people would think. You probably already know this, but the tone stack and how the gain stages interact with each other are more important IMO than the type of tubes in the power section (to some degree. obviously KT88s will sound vastly different than 6V6s).
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Although the power section of an amp and what it uses to amplify its signal is pretty important to the tone of the amp itself, tube type isn't exactly as all-encompassing as people would think. You probably already know this, but the tone stack and how the gain stages interact with each other are more important IMO than the type of tubes in the power section (to some degree. obviously KT88s will sound vastly different than 6V6s).

no i'm just confused as to how an amp released in 1995 has anything to do with leo fender or fender cleans? is it just because it says fender on the box?

Even though it's not a perfect representation of fender cleans (or their tones in general for that matter), the circuits are still pretty similar as far as the preamp goes. At least, to my knowledge. These amps have good cleans that sound similar to real fender tweed amps both in their voicing and how they break up. Yeah, it's not perfect, but for that kind of money, what is?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Even though it's not a perfect representation of fender cleans (or their tones in general for that matter), the circuits are still pretty similar as far as the preamp goes. At least, to my knowledge. These amps have good cleans that sound similar to real fender tweed amps both in their voicing and how they break up. Yeah, it's not perfect, but for that kind of money, what is?

i never said it was a bad amp. I think they are pretty good. I've played about three different versions of the blues jr.

I just want to know why the op thinks the amp has anything to do with fender cleans.

Cool stuff!
yay OCD!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by AcousticMirror
i never said it was a bad amp. I think they are pretty good. I've played about three different versions of the blues jr.

I just want to know why the op thinks the amp has anything to do with fender cleans.

If you're trying to be cute by implying that the Blues Jr doesn't have characteristic Fender cleans, try harder.

It's not the same glassy clean as a blackface Fender, but the circuitry is extremely similar and you do get really great cleans with this. I play a Blues Jr. and a Deluxe Reverb; the voicing of the amps match closely. If anything the Blues Jr is smoother and not as boomy.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
If you're trying to be cute by implying that the Blues Jr doesn't have characteristic Fender cleans, try harder.

It's not the same glassy clean as a blackface Fender, but the circuitry is extremely similar and you do get really great cleans with this. I play a Blues Jr. and a Deluxe Reverb; the voicing of the amps match closely. If anything the Blues Jr is smoother and not as boomy.

you've played a blackface deluxe reverb and a blue jr. side by side?
i am being cute by implying that the op bought the amp cuz it said fender on it.

HNAD!!!

I tried the blues junior and i thought it sounded "boxy". But it still sounded nice.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
yeah im gonna have to side with AM on this one, it may be voiced closely to modern day reissues or hot rod or whatever shit amps fender is producing now a days but in no way will it sound anything like a blackface. HNAD i love blues juniors!
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
im soso jealous..
Happy new gear day man!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by gregs1020
how much was the tweed bjr?

i run a couple nice od's in front of my tweed as well.

It was $504 because I had a coupon, I couldn't turn it down!

@AcousticMirror: Quit trying to stir shit. Look at my Charvel... the last thing I thought I would buy is a Fender. I don't know if I hurt your feelings with one of my little reviews, but whatever your problem is get your ass outta here and let me enjoy my purchase.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

your reviews don't mean anything to me. if you wrote a one line nad that said i bought it blues junior it has amazing fender cleans i'd still be all wtf wtf.

I'm just trying to get your opinion on it that's all.

so you have a charvel that means you would be less likely to buy a fender amp?
charvel makes amps now?

and buddy...if what i'm saying on an internet forum is causing you discomfort over your purchase you've got bigger problems then me.

Quote by AcousticMirror
your reviews don't mean anything to me. if you wrote a one line nad that said i bought it blues junior it has amazing fender cleans i'd still be all wtf wtf.

charvel makes amps now?

and buddy...if what i'm saying on an internet forum is causing you discomfort over your purchase you've got bigger problems then me.

HNAD, I'm going to be picking up a used Blues Jr here soon. So congrats!
Last edited by Kcintlob at Jul 18, 2010,
I dunno, I don't think he's trollin' at all.

I really love it when someone spends time to write a detailed review of their new amp. I mean, it doesn't take very much efffort to pen a couple of paragraphs other than, "it's awesome." That's why we have the reviews in the first place.

2c
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I dunno, I don't think he's trollin' at all.

I really love it when someone spends time to write a detailed review of their new amp. I mean, it doesn't take very much efffort to pen a couple of paragraphs other than, "it's awesome." That's why we have the reviews in the first place.

2c

your so far away from earth right now man, he was saying acoustic mirror was trollin' not TS.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by AcousticMirror

charvel makes amps now?

I've given my opinion in the original post, what more do you want? It has nice cleans, I enjoy them. It's not cleans above it's price range but it has Fender vibe, as stated by other members.

Charvel? The "original hot rod electric guitar. If you were to stereotype me by guitar, I'd be the 80s guy... I didn't think it would be that hard for you to pickup. Charvel + Marshall. Thats basic 80s tone in a nutshell.

And buddy... thats awfully ironic because you seem to be taking more concern in a simple "YAY FENDER CLEANS" than anyone else here is. I am thrilled with my purchase. A HNAD would have done just nicely.

And with that, good day to you. I've given you your kicks.

EDIT:

@Kcintlob: Awesome, it's definitely worth the price.
Gear
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
Fender MIM Strat

Last edited by baf250 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by Skagasm
your so far away from earth right now man, he was saying acoustic mirror was trollin' not TS.

this^
Quote by Skagasm
That's EXACTLY who I'm talking about.

He said this:
Quote by AcousticMirror

And I agree with him. I do not agree with trolls.

Granted he said it in a way that COULD be construed as trollin', but this is AM, you gotta take what he says with a very large pinch of salt.
necrobump so I'll go over this again.

Statement A: This amp is good.

Statement B: This amp is good because it's from company X and company X is known for it's great cleans X.

The first statement is a good statement. The second statement is a bad statement. The amp in question has nothing whatsoever to do with the companies heritage, history, original designs, etc etc etc.

Have a good day.

frankenstein your blues juniorrrr?

the tweed version is supposed to be pretty nice. although it would've been nice if Fender used 6V6GT's in there instead of EL84s. that said, Leo doesn't design for Fender so ya.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I'm almost insulted that you returned the Rebel 30 for not having enough gain, turned down the Tweaker for not having enough gain, and picked up a Blues Jr.

HNAD though...

Quote by AngryGoldfish
this is AM, you gotta take what he says with a very large pinch of salt.

6 buckets of salt to be exact.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Aug 6, 2010,
Quote by denied
Why is this thread back

'Cause tonyd927 decided to bring it back up so he could drop this little gem.

Quote by tonyd927
lol @ the g3arNuTz here.
OP found an amp he loves, get off his a$$. Just because Leo Fender didnt jizz on the amp doesnt mean it isnt good.

Inspiring.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I'm inspired. True story. Also true story. Blues Junior has great Fender cleans. Just like a 6l6 Twin Reverb.

Best amp for Lynyrd Skynyrd and Dream Theater.

*note. poor choice*