I'd like to start recording my songs/riffs that I've written directly to my computer - without my amp if possible; I don't like moving it up and down the stairs. I need to know if there's a good program for the direct hookup between guitar and computer. I've got a cable that's 1/4" on one end and 1/8" on the other, so that's the least of my worries.

I happen to run Debian Lenny, so that rules out Windows programs. (I know about Wine, but I don't want to take the chance at the sound emulation sounding like crap.) What are good programs to use for doing this under Linux?

kthx
WINE is probably your best bet. It won't make it sound bad, but remember that it takes more processing power to run an emulator than a native file, so expect it to tax your resources a lot more.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
you may want to look into a Line6 Toneport which gives ya a nice interface and lots of amp models.
Then you use a program such as Reaper to record it all.

Thing is you have to know if there are Linux drivers out there for this hardware and software.
I run Ubuntu 10.04 on one of my laptops and although its a nice free OS, it really has some drawbacks when it comes to hardware driver support...

Without the interface, you're going to have latency and cruddy levels/quality. I highly suggest the Toneport if it's linux supported...
Quote by JagerSlushy
WINE is probably your best bet. It won't make it sound bad, but remember that it takes more processing power to run an emulator than a native file, so expect it to tax your resources a lot more.

For the record, I think you should look up what WINE stands for....

Actually, because you probably won't, Wine Is Not (an) Emulator.

Without getting to techincal, it doesn't emulate, it kinda adds windows to linux, but not windows, just something kind of compatible
Quote by theepiczebra
For the record, I think you should look up what WINE stands for....

Actually, because you probably won't, Wine Is Not (an) Emulator.

Without getting to techincal, it doesn't emulate, it kinda adds windows to linux, but not windows, just something kind of compatible

I see you're a fellow linux user. What Distro do you use?

Also, do you know of a good program to accomplish my goal with without the need to buy extra hardware?

Also, http://wiki.winehq.org/AboutWine.
Last edited by ironbird88 at Jul 22, 2010,