I haven't practiced seriously in a long time and I want to get back into it. What are some good books to get for this? I already have a practice schedule written out and I have Speed Mechanics (Stetina), Rock Discipline (Petrucci), and exercises from Intense Rock.
The books I want would have to improve things like scales and phrasing, arpeggios/sweeping, and chordal structure. Suggestions, anyone?
Nicolas Slonimsky's "Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns"
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
The Real Book, but that probably wont help much
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
guthrie govan creative guitar , its around on the internet as .jpg and mp3s, you can find it
"ohhh I like it, pianos can't do that." -P. Gilbert

"guilty of enjoying life in the 2[1]st century, are you out of your f***ing mind?" -F. Zappa
Speed Mechanics is a great book. Same guy also wrote another book called Fretboard Mastery - mostly about different shapes and recognizing them by ear. Also worth doing.

I feel like you'll probably run into the same problem I did - you have a ton of information, and it's difficult to sift through and apply.

My approach to this was to nitpick areas I was weak in, then set goals along the lines of "practice <exercise> for a total of <time>" and just pick away at them a little bit every day as you see fit. This is a really flexible approach that'll ensure you stick with it in the long term and accomplish what you need to.

Other than that, some other books you could check out are Fretboard Logic, Rock Guitar Secrets by Peter Fischer, and Guitar Secrets by Joe Satriani. Good stuff in all those - Rock Guitar Secrets is more of an overall course that covers just about everything.
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance
Dune
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
On The Road
Junky
Pilgrim's Progress
Finnegans Wake
do all three of the berklee guitar books. i just finished the first one and its great but you need to have a basic knowledge of theory before you start it
My gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 LS100 Half Stack
Dunlop SW30 Slash Signature Wah
Digitech Hardwire CR-7 Stereo Chorus
Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Fender CD220CE Acoustic
Quote by TK1
The Real Book, but that probably wont help much

Yeah, I have an Eb real book, but I use that for saxing.

And thanks to everyone else who has replied.

Quote by Zed45
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance
Dune
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
On The Road
Junky
Pilgrim's Progress
Finnegans Wake

My list is more like:
The Brothers Karamazov
Lolita
Catch-22
Crime and Punishment
Slaughterhouse Five
Brave New World, etc.
Last edited by dantheguitarist at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by DKMfreak410
do all three of the berklee guitar books. i just finished the first one and its great but you need to have a basic knowledge of theory before you start it

This. Also Wild Stringdom is intense
Quote by dantheguitarist
Slaughterhouse Five

Pfft, who ever uses THOSE chords anyway?
Quote by TONEMELT
guthrie govan creative guitar , its around on the internet as .jpg and mp3s, you can find it

Agreed, I just finished reading through Creative Guitar and its going to take me ages to fully process all the information. Excellent book; well worth the purchase.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15