who?
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
No, he doesn't. But he's 13, so let's not hate too much.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
i thought he sounded pretty good, i didn't sound like that at 3 years

best place to start is... well... play the blues? practice phrasing? i mean, he's just improv'ing in a minor pentatonic scale from what i can tell and following the chord tones. maybe try that for starters.
feel the music and play what sounds good to you. you can't really describe how to phrase well at blues. it kind of just happens. know your way around the fretboard and just practice with different things.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
hes relatively good for his age

but hes not doing anything special just some basic pent licks over and over. basically its pretty much the same lick repeated with minor variations but the leading and ending note are generally the same.

a good rule of thumb to make improv sound good is to listen to the backing track while you play.. and base your note choices on whats playing.
when the chord changes (lets say it changes to G) hit a G note and go up the scale untill you get to the next octave of G. Then lets say the chord changes to E.. Hit an E Note and Run Down the scale to a lower octave of E.

very simple and somewhat boring sounding but its a good way to play safe.
Last edited by Coagulation at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by timeconsumer09
Sounds pretty mediocre, IMO.

I agree.

Quote by Coagulation
hes relatively good for his age

Age has nothing to do with it. He simply started playing guitar early
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 18, 2010,
Well, he obviously plays a shit ton based on his youtube vids. If you play alot, it'll show.
It's not that he's not bad, but his phrasing isn't as good as you think (in my opinion). I thought the first two licks started it off nicely, but then it just became so repetitive that nothing was memorable at all. When I think good phrasing, I think just that: making good phrases. It seemed most of the solo just ran together, with breaks only coming at choruses (if there were even breaks then).
Quote by timeconsumer09
It's not that he's not bad, but his phrasing isn't as good as you think (in my opinion). I thought the first two licks started it off nicely, but then it just became so repetitive that nothing was memorable at all. When I think good phrasing, I think just that: making good phrases. It seemed most of the solo just ran together, with breaks only coming at choruses (if there were even breaks then).

all he's doing is playing a blues scale in one position for 5 minutes, recycling the same licks, and not actively listening to what he's playing. he must think guitar is so easy. he's got potential, so maybe when he turns 16 or 17 he'll realize that he's just been cruising along.

like griff said, age is irrelevant. he's been playing for 3.5 years, far more likely than not with a teacher. that's hardly progress for nearly 4 years of playing -- that's more like the 6-month stage of being a guitarist.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
that's more like the 6-month stage of being a guitarist.

If you learn the right way...
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
If you learn the right way...

well, the kid is 13. he's been playing for 3.5 years, meaning he started when he was 9 or 10, depending on his birthday. i have an extremely hard time believing that his parents would simply buy him an electric guitar and tell him to "go crazy". so the odds are far more likely than not that he had (or has) a guitar teacher. so either he had an extremely inefficient guitar teacher, or his parents really did just randomly go buy him a guitar and tell him to go learn from the internet, which was not done up to par.

i kind of feel bad bashing the kid, but if you think you're good enough to display "the talent of a prodigy" on youtube, then you've got to be ready for a few bashings, particularly if this is the kind of stuff that's put up.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by AeolianWolf
well, the kid is 13. he's been playing for 3.5 years, meaning he started when he was 9 or 10, depending on his birthday. i have an extremely hard time believing that his parents would simply buy him an electric guitar and tell him to "go crazy". so the odds are far more likely than not that he had (or has) a guitar teacher. so either he had an extremely inefficient guitar teacher, or his parents really did just randomly go buy him a guitar and tell him to go learn from the internet, which was not done up to par.

i kind of feel bad bashing the kid, but if you think you're good enough to display "the talent of a prodigy" on youtube, then you've got to be ready for a few bashings, particularly if this is the kind of stuff that's put up.

You'd be surprised how common that kind of kid is. Kids can just bug their parents enough to get a guitar these days. Even more incredibly, a significant percentage of those are bought a ****in awesome guitar.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by mangoman13
i dont compare him to bb or clapton but with just 3 years o playing he does it pretty well....how can i reach at least his level of playing and develop that phrasing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjq35X71kJs sorry! forgot the vid

He's been listening more than you and he thinks more than you
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
He actually sucks
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Yeah, really was not that impressive. I hate when people boast the whole young prodigy thing. If you completely ignore the fact that he is young it is very mediocre. Not terrible but very repetitive.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
Hes thinking, listening and more likely then not hearing things in his head.
and to all you bashing, his playing isnt anything life changing but as in improvisation its much better then plenty of people with plenty more experience then him. It gets repetitive after a while, but shuffle blues usually does after the fourth or fifth chorus.
I think he's pretty good. Got some killer licks, but could use more space and be more aware of the chords. He definitely listens to blues music and actively listens and that's how is phrasing gets better.
I'm not sure how many of you have younger sisters or brothers, but I think that's really good for his age. You ever tried to get a kid that age to sit down, study, focus and learn anything, let alone the penatonic scale and how it works in keys of a song?

Geez, I couldn't get most of the 17 year olds on this forum to do this because they're "anti-theory".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm not sure how many of you have younger sisters or brothers, but I think that's really good for his age. You ever tried to get a kid that age to sit down, study, focus and learn anything, let alone the penatonic scale and how it works in keys of a song?

Geez, I couldn't get most of the 17 year olds on this forum to do this because they're "anti-theory".

extremely valid point.
For his age, it's surely not bad! But when looking at a musician for their blues phrasing abilities, you should probably be looking towards the likes of SRV or BB King, not a 12-year-old on YouTube.
Wow. Sounds like we have some jealous folk in this thread. The kid is thirteen, that's not too bad. Sure, you can ignore is age but in a few years this kid will be a beast.