Every time I go to Guitar Center, and drool over the guitars, and try out the ones I thought were good, I get so disappointed when I try them out. Even after tinkering with various amps, playing different songs, most of the guitars I played (gibson, PRS, Fender) just didn't feel of good quality. Now I didn't play the highest end versions, but regardless I expected better. Anyone else go to GC or any other guitar store, seek out guitars they thought they liked, and find that those guitars felt cheap or inferior to their namesake?
Maybe you're just not use to the feel of them? I've also found that even when trying out great guitars, if there are ones that seem better around it makes the one you're trying not seem so good.
I've been disappointed by most gibson SGs and fender guitars I've played
However, I've been impressed by Musicman, Suhr, Epiphone-Ibanez-Especially Gretsch semi-hollow and hollow bodies, Yamaha... I like how they feel because they feel special, not like any brand (well epiphone is a bit more generic, but still, their hollows are great) and Yamaha starter guitars feel great. My pacifica 112's neck actually feels close enough to a musicman silhouette...
Its not you, nor the gutiars. well a little bit.

When you got a place like GC, they probably receive and sell hundreds of guitars a month. The point of this info?

Its not feasible to have all or even a majority of these guitars set up to play optimally. And even if it's set up a specific way, it might not be set up the way you like it.

Given that, I rarely have the 'love at first fret' experience. i don't usually appreciate a guitar fully until i own it for a few months.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
At any guitar center the only guitars that are going to be significantly better r the ones at the tippy top and the ones behind the counter. The rest r going to be more or less the same
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Good points, I do feel like im battling again intonation, tuning, amp set-up, and the guitar itself. I think neck radius is such a big part of what makes or breaks a guitar for me, and I hate the "plasticy" feel of some neck's finishes. I was more comfortable playing a 7-string schecter (for the first time playing a 7 string even) compared to an epi les paul or even a PRS Allender
guitar center guitars are probably not set up, and ive always liked my philosophy that everything is a matter of opinion. yea, they might be top end high rated guitars, but not everyone will agree. also, just spend a little more time with them, you just might not be used to them.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
True, it seems like speed dating for guitars when I go there. It just seems odd that most guitars people endorse are the ones I felt were not of great quality, or not worth the price.
Just putting this out there, the Allender sig is nowhere near the level of real PRS guitars. And Epi Les Pauls aren't exactly the highlight of the guitar world either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
well yea, alot of the price does come from the name sometimes. but man, PRS are amazing. you gotta spend some time with those. itll come.

i used to be like this when i would find new music to listen to. i had to force myself to listen to it for a long time before i was like "oh ok i get it" once i got used to it i started loving certain bands. some of which are now my favorites. you just gotta spend time with them and get used to them.

also, alot of things are over rated. but thats because people like different feels. i have a very very nice strat that sounds very good, but i prefer the feel and overall more fullness of my sg(not to mention upper fret access). the point is, all those brand names like fender are hyped but you can find alot brands that are just as good if not better, you just have to do some research and look more. dont restrict yourself to gibson, fender, big brand names etc. i played an esp(ltd) last week that costs 400 dollars, and i was able to do more technically challenging things on it than say my sg. it felt so solid and tight. i was basically a better player on it than my sg(which costs 7 or 800 dollars) and you might be a better player on a 200 dollar guitar than a 2000 dollar prs, its all person all preference.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
they're probably just not setup good. keep in mind that people come in and play them at will everyday, and you never know how long something has been sitting on the shelf.

EDIT:Except maybe by the serial number?
It always amazes me that big guitar stores don't employ some kid to do a quick setup on guitars, it doesn't take long at all to make them useable and it isn't brain surgery. Even if they are moving a fair bit of stock you'd think you'd be able to keep ahead. You'd reckon they'd sell more guitars that way and more than pay his wages.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Even the small GC has started doing that. I'm able to go in there and play stuff now. It's an all around better experience not having guitars with Floyd's so out of tune that you can't use the fine tuners to get it in something reasonably resembling regular tuning. Awesome alliteration. Alliteration.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
only guitars that have really impressed me were my Ibanez IC200 and a new Korean made Vox guitar, Gibsons and Fenders were good, but for the price they don't stand out. I think the Gibson BFG was my favourite gibby I've played. Ibanez Artcores impressed me as well now that I think about it.
Gibsons are a touchy subject. Some feel great and sound muddy, some sound spectacular but are a bit odd to play. You have to try everything you can find with Gibson until you find 'the one.' I've never had a problem with Fenders though, although I must admit, I found the quality on a MIM tele pretty much the same as the MIA one I tried.

PRS I can't play, just don't fit right in my hands at all.

It's a matter of preference, have you tried the guitars with thinner necks to see how they feel?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

a) Guitar Center isn't a great store. If you have the chance, try your locally owned/run music store. You get better guitars, less corporate crap, and usually way better deals.

b) Big names don't mean great guitars. For example, I find Les Paul studios barely playable. Now LP Customs on the other hand..Try something like an old MIJ Ibanez, see what it feels like.
Buy three guitars with different radius necks and even scale lengths and play all of them. after a while you will be able to adapt to anything. A lot of the "I hate >insert guitar<" stuff is actually "I'm not used to >insert guitar<". Of course some guitars are just junk but you know what I mean I'm sure.
Ignore how easy it is to fret the strings. Find one with the right features that feels comfortable in your hands and then tell the salesman you might buy it but not until you getto try it after it's been setup properly - make 'em work for their sheckle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy three guitars with different radius necks and even scale lengths and play all of them. after a while you will be able to adapt to anything. A lot of the "I hate >insert guitar<" stuff is actually "I'm not used to >insert guitar<". Of course some guitars are just junk but you know what I mean I'm sure.
Ignore how easy it is to fret the strings. Find one with the right features that feels comfortable in your hands and then tell the salesman you might buy it but not until you getto try it after it's been setup properly - make 'em work for their sheckle.

+1 this is important. The best thing I ever did was to stop worrying about radius, neck width, scale length. The only thing I have to keep similar is string tension or I can't play my best.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
play more low end guitars then play a few highend ones you`ll feel and hear the difference eventually
I've played a few Ibanez, Schecter (my favorite), ESP, etc. I decided to try out Gibson, Fender, PRS, just to compare and thats why I was so disappointed that the classic big name guitars didn't have a good quality scale (from cheap to expensive), compared to other companies. However I did think the high end PRS and Fenders were pretty decent.