Ok when people are playing a solo thats really long and you are covering it in a band (not in bedroom with CD) do you practice the solo with a metronome or do you kind of 'feel your timing?' im sitting here trying to learn famous last words by my chemical romance b ecause im covering it and im trying to make every single bar perfect and its doing my head in with the clicking noise and watching the bar go back and fourth..do you think if i just made it close to the cd as possible i shud be able to play it ok with just a drummer?
A lot of the times, I'll just put the lead break on repeat and play along to the CD and try to make it sound just like they do. It's worked for me and it worked for Clapton.

Of course, a really good thing to do would be to record yourself (i.e. just your guitar if you can, it's possible) and then play it back afterwards by itself so you can really inspect it.
Depends on your own personal standards, the type of solo it is and what kind of person you are.

For that solo I'd probably just try and make it as close to the CD as possible without bringing the metronome into it, that's more for learning complex and/or fast passages that need to be dead on time in my opinion.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Using a metronome is a good tool for timing. I would practice with a cd though when it comes to covering a solo. It doesn't have to be completely perfect, just damn close.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
Quote by Ryte
Using a metronome is a good tool for timing. I would practice with a cd though when it comes to covering a solo. It doesn't have to be completely perfect, just damn close.

I'd disagree, it really does depend on the solo, for something bluesy like Hendrix or punky (like MCR) you can get away with going by feeling and playing it as close as you want/can but if you were covering something like Selkies by Between The Buried and Me or anything by Dream Theater you would need to get it absolutely spot on, those solos don't really have the same impact if they're out of time.

And of couse if you're playing jazz... never cover solos. Ever.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I'd disagree, it really does depend on the solo, for something bluesy like Hendrix or punky (like MCR) you can get away with going by feeling and playing it as close as you want/can but if you were covering something like Selkies by Between The Buried and Me or anything by Dream Theater you would need to get it absolutely spot on, those solos don't really have the same impact if they're out of time.

And of couse if you're playing jazz... never cover solos. Ever.

Lol well I agree. I was talking about the fore mentioned song.
Well, first off you should have nothing to do with anything related to My Chemical Romance. The rest is up to you.
how does one go about practicing a song to a metronome anyways, for exercises I understand, but a song has so many dynamics plus how do you figure out exactly what tempo/etc?
"ohhh I like it, pianos can't do that." -P. Gilbert

"guilty of enjoying life in the 2[1]st century, are you out of your f***ing mind?" -F. Zappa
Quote by pbskl
Well, first off you should have nothing to do with anything related to My Chemical Romance. The rest is up to you.

Not helpful in the least.
Quote by pbskl

Shut up and get out, you want to insult people's musical taste then do it in another forum.

Quote by TONEMELT
how does one go about practicing a song to a metronome anyways, for exercises I understand, but a song has so many dynamics plus how do you figure out exactly what tempo/etc?

A lot of metronomes have a "tap tempo" feature where you can press a button in time with the song and it'll get the BPM as close to it as possible based on that. How does practicing a song to a metronome prevent you from being in control of dynamics exactly?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Playing along with melody = Practicing along with melody
Playing with a metronome = Practicing with a metronome

Is this correct?
Last edited by 03-13-2010 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by 03-13-2010
Playing along with melody = Practicing along with melody
Playing with a metronome = Practicing with a metronome

Is this correct?

Well yes, they're completely different, the important thing is that you don't end up needing the original track to remind you of what you should be doing.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.