Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum, and also a fairly new guitar player.
Started in January 2010.
I am finding it hard to strum chords without my pic moving between my thumb and index finger. sometimes i find my middle finger finds its way in there, it does feel better but i am wondering if this might just be a bad habit in the making.
i know a lot of the technique comes from being loose in the wrist, which i am trying to do.
i use a Dunlop Ultex .60 pic.

i also have some Nylon pics, however i heard those are for acoustic guitars only, any truth to that.

any tips are appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

jason
You use whatever pick feels comfortable to use. Use a damn coin if that's what floats your boat. It's all up to you and your personal preference.

EDIT: I use thin or medium ones for acoustic, and heavy or extra heavy for when I am brootalizing the metalz. Aka playing electric.
Gear:
Gibson Goth Explorer
Fender Gemini II
Dean Cemetery Gates Rzrbck
Marshall MG250 (screw you guys everyone i kno loves this amp)
Digitech Whammy IV
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss NS-2
MXR 10 Band EQ (black, not blue)
Last edited by pantallica95 at Jul 17, 2010,
Experiment with different kinds and sizes of pick to see which gives you the best combination of comfort and tone, you'll probably change preference a good few times over the course of months or years before you settle on one type.

Hell, I've been playing for over 7 years and I still change pick preference every now and then...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Guynametyler
Don't quote me, but thicker pics are better for strumming chords.

always thought it was the other way around mate.

for me, i use a .50 to strum chords, .88 for everything else.

tortex all around.

see whats good for you, and gives you the tone you want.
There is no "right" or "better" pick. Its your choice. Its whatever you think feels best. I've been playing for 16 years and I just found my perfect pick about 3 years ago lol. I use Dunlop Nylon 1mm picks. They work for me.
.:Just because you can sweep pick doesn't make you good:.
I play metal jazz classic rock and reggae nd I use the Dunlop 2 mm gator grip which have never done me wrong
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Get a heavy pick with a grip.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Jazz III's are great for bringing the br00talz, great accuracy with them I find
Originally Posted by GbAdimDb5m7
I'd totally eat you.

Quote by Gorelord666
Banned because your avatar blew my mind.

Damn straight.
dunlop 1.0 mm tortex and ernie ball mediums
"ohhh I like it, pianos can't do that." -P. Gilbert

"guilty of enjoying life in the 2[1]st century, are you out of your f***ing mind?" -F. Zappa
Quote by Mr Lordi
Personally, I love Jazz III picks. Great for playing fast, they stay in place, they're easy to hold onto, and small and comfortable ;D

I like the extra large ones, the little ones get lost in my hands like a grain of sand in your shoe.
I love Jazz III's, but they fall short when I try to use them for heavy, palm-muted rhythm's. They don't get the crunch my nylon gets. I've come to the conclusion that I can't just use one pick for everything I do. I have a nice variety now and switch depending on what I'm playing. For my acoustic, I prefer the nylon as well, but not too thin. They are pretty cheap at the music store. Just get a variety and mess around.
I pick using my middlefinger there. Works alright for me, though only been playing for under a year.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Experiment with different kinds and sizes of pick to see which gives you the best combination of comfort and tone, you'll probably change preference a good few times over the course of months or years before you settle on one type.

Hell, I've been playing for over 7 years and I still change pick preference every now and then...

+1

You should definatly go to a store and buy a lot of different picks until you find the one you like. Also, some picks are better for some then others are, and vice versa. For example, when strumming a lot of people use thinner picks. For metal, a lot of guitarists use a thicker picks, cause it seems easier when picking fast.

In the end if you get loads of different picks, you'll probably find the one you want for different kind of situations. And picks don't cost all that much anyways.

EDIT: The point is to actually test out for yourself and see what's comfortable for what situations.

And I use Jazz III's too, I love 'em. Just can't got back to like Tortex's. The downpoint is at strumming tho, imo.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 18, 2010,
Some years ago, Guitar Player magazine did a photo layout of the picks of 100 top guitar players. They were wildly different...
Lots of perfectly standard picks, of course, but all sorts of other things.

Picks are cheap, experiment. We all do or have done. I settled on the Dunlop .88mm nylon jobs years ago...Use 'em for guitar, mandolin, acoustic, electric.....
I first used fender mid. when i started, then switched to Dunlop tortex .60 to .78 (which ever the yellow one is) then to .88. then to Jazz III's (red ones). then my hands got bigger than the Jazz III's just kept slipping. so then i when back to .88 tortex, then recently i found these Jazz III's Pitch Black. there bigger then the Jazz III's red ones, and there great!!!! so we'll see what happens from there.

but it takes a while to find what ur looking for in your pick, though it sounds stupid....

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Eh, I use Dunlop 1.5s and have never had a problem strumming.
I tried a Jazz III once and it was just too small for me to do anything with.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Something on here I feel needs to be addressed. I've spoken to many guitar players who have expressed their frustration in breaking bad habits that their childhood guitar teachers inadvertently taught them. You are essentially teaching yourself a bad habit by consciously or unconsciously incorporating your middle finger into your picking. If you incorporate your middle finger into your picking/strumming you will end up moving your entire hand as opposed to your picking fingers. Later in your playing this would become very frustrating for you. The only people who would say otherwise I guarantee you have been playing for somewhere under a year. In short, I would fix that problem.
Hate Me.
Quote by TheFunInFuneral
You are essentially teaching yourself a bad habit by consciously or unconsciously incorporating your middle finger into your picking.

I'm assuming this doesn't include hybrid picking, which is a perfectly acceptable style of playing.

Quote by TheFunInFuneral
If you incorporate your middle finger into your picking/strumming you will end up moving your entire hand as opposed to your picking fingers.

Strumming comes from the entire hand, though; along with the arm, that's where the power comes from.
Is it even possible to strum by moving only your fingers?
I've never seen any great rhythm guitarist doing that (other than maybe some speed metal guys, but even then, they move their hand a little).
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I'm assuming this doesn't include hybrid picking, which is a perfectly acceptable style of playing.

Strumming comes from the entire hand, though; along with the arm, that's where the power comes from.
Is it even possible to strum by moving only your fingers?
I've never seen any great rhythm guitarist doing that (other than maybe some speed metal guys, but even then, they move their hand a little).

My guess is that he has no need to skip large amounts of strings quickly to some country tune so hybrid picking is pretty much irrelevant. Secondly of course your going to move your hand while your playing or picking but only to a certain degree. Try alternate picking with 3 fingers as opposed to 2 it's much more awkward and cumbersome than using 2 (as well as using your whole hand much more.)
Hate Me.
Hybrid picking definitely isn't only used in country, nor is it only used to jump large groups of strings; it's used on adjacent strings much more often than one would imagine.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
I'm not really gonna say anything that hasn't already been said, but trying out all of them is definitely the best choice. All styles work just fine, and you should get atleast 1 of each, although I would recommend you get atleast 10 or so picks since if you're unorganized like me they're easy to lose xD
Im using Jazz III and Jazz tortex h3, they are good enough for strumming or everything else. Its personal prefference like everything about guitars
I try to use a medium-sized pick around 1 mm if I can. I don't like changing picks for transitioning between chords and soloing. 1mm feels to be a comfortable medium for me. I have 2mm picks that feel really thick to me, and I have .38mm picks which feel too flimsy for my taste.

But it's all up to the player. It may be best determined based on what you're playing on electric guitar.
Quote by 03-13-2010
I like the extra large ones, the little ones get lost in my hands like a grain of sand in your shoe.

you get used to em...at first i hated em...now everything else is so uncomfortable!
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Hybrid picking definitely isn't only used in country, nor is it only used to jump large groups of strings; it's used on adjacent strings much more often than one would imagine.

Both of your posts are just picking at unnecessary details and nuances in my wording. Look it up, i nailed the primary purpose/original intent for hybrid picking. I'm also essentially correct about the way to hold a pick. Furthermore, if anything, it is worded the way it was to nutshell and to condescend.
Quote by examon
Im using Jazz III and Jazz tortex h3, they are good enough for strumming or everything else. Its personal prefference like everything about guitars

ooh. On the note of the 'Tortex' company I went through a stage where I would buy the pointed picks, after a while I guess I decided to go back to standard Medium picks. Right now I'm mostly using some cheap Misfits branded picks i got at the Exit Underground.
Hate Me.
Last edited by TheFunInFuneral at Jul 20, 2010,
I use large Stubbys which are 3.0mm in size. I think they're pretty fun to play with, I can get a nice sound out of them too. Obviously try others but I find that thicker picks are nicer when strumming chords as you can hear the notes more than the sound of your pick hitting the strings (which is what I find with flimsy thin picks).
I've found Dunlop Ultex 90s are a great compromise between a medium and heavy gauge, they also have a great chime to them that other picks I have used just didn't seem to have. But picks are cheap, and sometimes if you're nice enough, your local guitar store will let you have a few to try out.
Quote by TheFunInFuneral
Both of your posts are just picking at unnecessary details and nuances in my wording. Look it up, i nailed the primary purpose/original intent for hybrid picking. I'm also essentially correct about the way to hold a pick. Furthermore, if anything, it is worded the way it was to nutshell and to condescend.

I wasn't "picking at" as much as I was just pointing out a fact.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Quote by TheFunInFuneral

You say that you are essentially correct about the way to hold a pick, but there are multiple ways to hold a pick. People have different ways of holding it. Look at Marty Friedman. He has the craziest way of holding a pick I've ever seen, but it obviously works for him.

Anyways.

TS you just have to experiment with some different picks and find what you like best. I started with Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm because that's what one of my friends used, but after a while I found Jazz III's and they have worked great so far.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
You guys should check out Pickboy picks. They have a great selection and I love them. Check em out on ebay. I've never seen them in a brick and mortar store.
Quote by Junior#1
You say that you are essentially correct about the way to hold a pick, but there are multiple ways to hold a pick. People have different ways of holding it. Look at Marty Friedman. He has the craziest way of holding a pick I've ever seen, but it obviously works for him.

Anyways.

TS you just have to experiment with some different picks and find what you like best. I started with Dunlop Stubby 2.0mm because that's what one of my friends used, but after a while I found Jazz III's and they have worked great so far.

There is a saying in medicine when you hear hoof beats think of horses not zebras; of course that 1% of crazy guitar players who can play in such a way can exist, but chances are he is in the 99% of people that should be holding the pick in the most common, standard way. Assuming that everyone is in that 1% is wrong and irresponsible.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
I wasn't "picking at" as much as I was just pointing out a fact.

Last time I checked 'more often than one would imagine' is kicking off your opinion on hybrid picking.
Hate Me.
Last edited by TheFunInFuneral at Jul 21, 2010,
Page 1 of 2