Okayyy, i recently got revalver and im quite happy with the sounds im getting from it and now i wanna try record myself !

but i do not know how to record it. Im not sure if this is normal, but if i have revalver open, no other sound on any other programs will work? so no youtube, itunes guitar pro sounds, nothing. is it supposed to be like that?

soo yeh, im pretty shit with computers and basically just need to know exaclty how to do this. im sure i havent given enough info, so just ask if you need to know more .

can i use audacity?

PS. ive done a bit of reading, been very confused. but i DO have the trial version of reaper and the asio drivers thingo, whatever that does.

thanks for any help!
if your using ASIO, then no, you cant use anything else that uses the sound driver, including a web browser. or AIM, or WMP, or iTunes.

Don't really understand what the question is though. Can you use audacity? I dunno, can you?
hmm okay im not sure how any of this works you see? like with the audio settings in revalver i can only use either ASIO, or WDMKS otherwise i get a bit of lag . and so if im using either asio or wdmks, what program can i use to record my playing? and what audio settings do i use on that recording program?

i forgot to mention, im plugging my guitar straight into the computer. ive put an adapter on my lead to make it fit into the little "microphone" hole in the front of my computer . im going very low budget, not worried too much about quality. and it is a pretty low end computer.
I suggest using reaper. You won't need the asio drivers as they will just complicate things unnecessarily.

1. Find the icon in the taskbar on windows for recording devices
2. right click select recording devices
3. Select the guitar input(will probably already have this done) and set as default everything.
4. Open reaper
5. Arm a track
6. Press record
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
Quote by wildozer
im plugging my guitar straight into the computer.

I know you don't wanna hear it but,

back on track, ASIO is basically a sound driver for people without decent interfaces. You can record many ways. When I started, (I know have quite a few interfaces laying around.) I would use a $50 lightsnake and a Blue USB mic. ASIO let me use both at one time. I used FL Studio, w/ Edison to record. Simple as pick a track, route the input to said track, and hit record. That got unwieldy when I wanted to multitrack, so I switched over to Nuendo, then settled on Acid. I still use Acid, but with a Focusrite 40 interface.

Another thing to look into is recordings VST(i) with your program of choice, make a WAV out of it, drop it in your multitracker (in your case, Audacity? Not sure if its a multitracker or not, never used it.) then record over that.

EDIT:
Quote by Kevguy47
I suggest using reaper. You won't need the asio drivers as they will just complicate things unnecessarily.

Yes, & no. I find Reapers workflow to be pretty slow, and if your not recording with quality stuff, production value is key. I've never felt I could work efficiently with Reaper.

Although, it IS better than Audacity
Last edited by bbetances at Jul 18, 2010,
hahaha yhe i now what im trying to do is just plain shit lol :P

well ive got reaper up, and it looks complicated but ive managed to record my guitar! but i did not have revalver open and so its just like my clean guitar playing .

the problem seems to be that for some reason with revalver open, it wont let any other audio work on the computer.so if i have revalver open, then open reaper, reaper tells me i need to reconfigure the audio settings. or if i have reaper open, then i open ravalver second, revalver tells me to reconfigure my audio settiings.
Well from doing a bit of research, I found that Revalver is a VST like Guitar Rig? If Reaper lets your run VSTs, you can record your clean playing, then run Revalver in the FX chain. You also want an EQ because your guitar is gonna have a ton of bass and no treble (I think, what kinda guitar is it?). That's the way I did it atleast. Record DI into Acid, then run Guitar Rig in the effects chain AFTER the EQ.

EDIT: Also, I explained why you can't use anything else with ASIO. Hell I had a bad instance of Chrome (meaning it wasn't actually open, but had previously crashed but was still instantiated as a task) and ASIO "broke" until I ended the proc. Maybe you could run it as a ReWire client? Again, I use different S/W than you so I dunno what your using has/doesn't has.
hmm i see. so i use reaper to record my playing directly and THEN process it.

well ive found the FX button on the track controls thingo but how do i do this exaclty? to make it work?
sorry if im annoying lol :P
Quote by wildozer
hmm i see. so i use reaper to record my playing directly and THEN process it.

well ive found the FX button on the track controls thingo but how do i do this exaclty? to make it work?
sorry if im annoying lol :P

Now your gonna make me D/L Reaper to find out

You should be able to add different "effects" into your FX chain. One option should be Revalver, if it is, in fact, installed correctly in your shared VST folder.Play back your track and tune your sound in Revalver to suit. DONT FORGET TO EQ FIRST!

You see, a VST is just like a FX pedal. You can use it in any program that allows them. (Most industry standard software.) Where you put it will affect the end product.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm making this more complicated than it has to be, but at heart, I am an engineer. For a long time, I had to make bad recordings sound decent.
hahaha dude youve been suhc a good help. but really, you dont have to go through all this for me :P

ill work it out maybe eventually.
Well from what I understand, you think that if you have Revalver open, and then record in Audacity/Reaper/ProTools/Nuendo/w/e, the processed sound will be recorded, and that is not the case. When DI'ing, you record clean, then process after. So if you want a solo with a different voice, record it to another track, apply FX to suit, and you have 2 guitars all of a sudden. It's really not as hard as it sounds, just takes a bit of poking around/asking questions. PM me if you need further help.
sorry i just left you before
thanks for that, i didnt realise. i thoguht i could just record like from what i hear. but now i tihnk about it, not really possible if ive got my comptuers settings to be recording my guitar instead....

i will be sure to PM you if i do not resolve it myself
again, thanks a bunch dude
ok, it sounds like you are running reaper stand alone. which is fine for playing, but you cant record like this.

im pretty sure this is explained in the VST amp simulation thread, but basicly you are going to have to run revalver as a VST in reaper. sounds complex, but it isnt.

step 1 - add revalver to the VST list. in reaper, go to options, then click preferences. click VST near the bottom on the left. click the add button near the top right. find the folder on your computer where revalver is, the click ok.

step 2 - add and setup a track. simply double click in the empty space in the upper left of your screen, below the little buttons. on the new track, click the 'ar' button and the button below it that looks like a little speaker. the track is armed and monitoring. now click the 'in' button and find the correct input under 'mono inputs.' if the one you want isnt there, easy fix but it sounds like youve got this step done anyway.

step 3 - add revalver to the track. click the fx button and find VST on the left. find revalver and click it. set up revalver. if revalver is not there you screwed up step one, so try it again.