Im am stuck deciding in between which of these three to get.
They are a Marshall TSL 100, a Marshall DSL 100, or a Carvin V3.
I play pretty much anything from softer rock to Death metal.
What is your guys opinion on which would be best for those styles?
Quote by JohnIsMyName
are you limiting yourself to just those three?

not nessicarilly. Have a better suggestion?
The DSL, The TSL doesn't sound like a Marshall. I'd get the Carvin before the TSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hmm. personally speaking i would save up a little more and get a used Dual Rectifier. although you shouldn't just go on what i say.
EDIT: vvv He's playing soft rock stuff too, and i'm not wild for 6505 low to mid gain tones personally.
Last edited by JohnIsMyName at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
The DSL, The TSL doesn't sound like a Marshall. I'd get the Carvin before the TSL.

Hmmm. interesting...

And John i can never seem to find a used Dual rec on ebay in fairly decent shape in my price range
Quote by Throwdown666
For metal i'd go the Peavey 6505+ combo. that would tear shreds off the marshall.

Im just not much of a fan of peaveys. Something about them bugs me. Not entirely sure what it is though.
a used 5150 would be good if you got over the hate for peavey. they are perfect for metal. also look at other marshal JCM's, i think the 2000's are actually the worst of them. It goes like this JCM800>JCM900>JCM2000. While the 800 probably sounds the best, it will have the least features, very basic, 1 channel, gain, presence, and 3 band eq. But with simplicity comes fantastic array of crunchy marshall tones. Whereas the 2000 probably has the most features. I would say not to look at the DSL or TSL at all. Very overrated imo. Especially the DSL, definitely stay away from the DSL, they have lots of problems. But I wouldn't suggest either one.

If your spending that much you could probably afford a used Mesa Single Rec. I think that would be a fantastic amp for what you are using it for. Also checkout the Sovtek Mig, great great amps, they go for around $500-600 on ebay.

I don't really know much about the carvin tbh
Quote by handbanana
a used 5150 would be good if you got over the hate for peavey. they are perfect for metal. also look at other marshal JCM's, i think the 2000's are actually the worst of them. It goes like this JCM800>JCM900>JCM2000. While the 800 probably sounds the best, it will have the least features, very basic, 1 channel, gain, presence, and 3 band eq. But with simplicity comes fantastic array of crunchy marshall tones. Whereas the 2000 probably has the most features. I would say not to look at the DSL or TSL at all. Very overrated imo. Especially the DSL, definitely stay away from the DSL, they have lots of problems. But I wouldn't suggest either one.

If your spending that much you could probably afford a used Mesa Single Rec. I think that would be a fantastic amp for what you are using it for. Also checkout the Sovtek Mig, great great amps, they go for around $500-600 on ebay.

I don't really know much about the carvin tbh

But i also like my cleans. And i wouldnt really call a 5150's cleans clean lol.
I've heard nothing but good things about Carvin amps. Both the V3 and the X100B, but they have different voicings so it depends what exactly you want.
I played an x100B and it was pretty cool. Very versatile, and you can get them pretty cheap.
What do you guys think about the Peavey XXX. I just found an awesome deal on craigslist with a 2x12 cab with Celestion V 30s, with a three rack mount system ( has a gate/comp, a furman voltage regulator, and a korg tuner)
basically sounds like what id want in an amp, out of your list id go for the v3, adding a suggestion of laney gh100l(used GC has a ton of them), and the b-52 at100
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by handbanana
do it

I just think i will. I am going to check it out on tuesday and make sure its not some barely working amp with blown speakers. Lol.