Yesterday I was playing a gig, and during soundcheck, my strap lock ripped through the body of my guitar. Why would this happen? What should I do about it? I was able to drill a new hole and use that for the gig, but I'm still very concerned.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I did screw it back in, but it ripped a good chunk of wood out of my guitar, easily an inch long.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
you need some toothpick and some wood glue.

pack the hole with the toothpicks and glue,once dry break off any excess toothpicks and using a fine sandpaper smooth down to the contour of the body, then screw in your straplock.

alternatively insert the straplock 1st then pack with the toothpicks and glue

edited for a couple of tipos
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you need some toothpick and some wood glue.

pack the hole with the toothpicks and glue,once dry break off any excess toothpicks and using a fine sandpaper smooth don to the contour of the body, the screw in your straplock.

alternatively insert the straplock 1st then pack with the toothpicks and glue

he's got it.
As preventative maintenance, if you are the type to jump around and swing your guitar a lot, replace the short 1 inch-ish screws that come installed in your strap button or lock with 1 1/2 inch (or longer even). Predrill the hole first. Do it as soon as you get the guitar and it makes this kind of thing far less likely
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an