Okay, so I JUST got back from a show with All Shall Perish, Carnifex, Veil of Maya, The Faceless, The Red Chord, Cephalic Carnage, Decrepit Birth, Animals As Leaders and Decapitated. Something that made me go "Whoa!" was that All Shall Perish, Veil of Maya, Cephalic Carnage and Animals As Leaders...the bassists played 6 strings. I was like "DUDE! I want one now!" So, I ask you all kindly to help me come up with a list of really good 6 string basses. Preferably under $1,000. I was just blown a way at all the shit they were doing on 6 strings, especially All Shall Perish's bassist. So yeah, a 6 string bass, that sounds ****ing amazing, looks ****ing amazing, and is under $1,000. Then maybe tomorrow or next weekend, I'll go to a few guitar shops and try them out (if they have them).

Please and thank you.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
You are just bouncing all over the place with basses huh?

Honestly, the best 6 string I've played recently has been a Yamaha TRB6PII. It was going used at GC for a little more then $800, you could probably get a better price online. The neck was fast and comfortable, not as wafer-y thin as an Ibanez. Nice string spacing, controls for volume and pickup pan with a 3 band eq. It was well-built, although a bit on the large and heavy side, even for 6-ers. Altogether an ace bass though.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I googled it and it's discontinued =[
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
^ hence looking for it used. It would be out of your price range if it was new, it should be just under $1000 if you could find a previously owned one. Only problem is you'd have to get lucky to try one out

There's not a lot <$1000 new basses out there that are widely available for trial beyond your usual Ibanez, LTD's, and Schecter's. You could give a Spector Legend 6 a look, or maybe an MTD Kingston if you got a good price used.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I tried a Spector 6 a long time ago. That thing was trippy as fuuuuu-
An Ibanez SR 6 string seems like it'd kick some massive ass.
Or an LTD, I tried the B-206 a few weeks ago and I almost bought it =P

EDIT:
I'm really digging the ESP D-6. I like that the neck doesn't get super wide near the body. It's a 34" scale which I love, not too long for me. The finish is epic as hell and I could probably get the perfect All Shall Perish tone with it.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 18, 2010,
If you can find a good Yamaha TRB six-string used (or that has been sitting in a store forever), grab it. It will serve you very well.

Some others to check out in your price range:

ESP B-206
Peavey Grind (very nice six-string for a very low price)
Schecter Studio Elite 6
Tune TWB-6 (Hard as hell to find, but I've had one for years and it is a great bass. Highly recommended).
Ibanez BTB776
Carvin Icon 6 (about $300.00 over your budget, but well worth it)
Yamaha RBX JM2 (John Myung Signature bass - discontinued, but they do turn up).

There are a lot of great six-string basses out there in your price range. Try as many as you can get your hands on.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
This is what I was thinking. I want to get a Mark Hoppus bass for live play and my band and the music I mostly play. But I want a 6 string to practice on, maybe get better on a 6 and see where I can go with it. I'd love to be able to fret tap and sweep pick on a 6 string, that would make my life! xD
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
In that case, go with a Peavey Grind. They sell for around US$400.00 (often less) and are worth a lot more than that. They also have one of the easiest to play six-string necks on the market, along with the Tune Basses.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
The Grind actually goes for about $500 unless you get it off ebay. But I'd rather try it out then buy it. And with that money, I could get a B-206 or a D-6.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
when I was looking at 6ers I was looking at ibanez sr's, grinds, that ltd b-206, but i ended up on a schecter stilleto custom 6. But i couldn't get my hands on ny of them before I bought besides the SR which I didn't like.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I read a few reviews on the SR and how the neck gets super wide near the body. I'm going to try to get the Mark Hoppus P-Bass first, then find a place to try out the ESP D-6.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 18, 2010,
This is my first message ever!! I've been here for about a year and never needed to say anything until now...

I own a D6 I bought online and its f***ing God for its price range, I bought it before trying it and was very impressed. I listen to all of the bands mentioned and can play most of it as well, though I am surprised at the amount of 6ers in those bands.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to try to find an ESP D-6 after I get the Hoppus bass.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Tostitos
You are just bouncing all over the place with basses huh?

Honestly, the best 6 string I've played recently has been a Yamaha TRB6PII. It was going used at GC for a little more then $800, you could probably get a better price online. The neck was fast and comfortable, not as wafer-y thin as an Ibanez. Nice string spacing...

Nice string spacing as in small or large? What do you consider nice?

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
^ a medium string spacing. Not nearly so tight as something like an SR506, but not so wide that it would give my short little fingers any difficulty. Its all personal preference, but I'd say it was rather comfortable, and really easy to adjust to from a 4 or 5 string.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass