Page 1 of 2
Well, I've been playing and touring for the last month now, finally getting some time off. it's been great. I love it. it's something I want to do for a very long time it's just a blast. So, here are a few little things I'd really like to say. if you want to make a living off music...don't expect it to be easy. ever. it's hell, but once you get past that, those 45 min or so you have on stage doing what you love is some of the best moments you'll ever have. So, don't give up, if you want to do it go for it. don't expect it to be easy though.

enough sappy stuff though. on to some cool stuff.

Well, first of all, the band just finished playing on one of the small stages at what is probably the biggest Christian music festival in the US. it was awesome, and a highlight of my year for sure. I'm also in talks with some companies about sponsorships *cough* Splawn *cough* (nothing final by any means but i'm keeping my fingers crossed) I'm super grateful for all the advice I was given by Colin and some of the other touring musicians out there some of the advice saved me a whole lot of pain.

So here are some of my things

Gaffer tape (or Duct tape if you must) ALWAYS have this
Alan wrenches (I can't tell you how many guitars I had to fix)
Wire cutters
extra tubes (whether for your amp or a friends or whatever, always have em', I know it seems pretty obvious, but at least at one show someone needed tubes and didn't have some so I borrowed them some)

story for this one.

You need a wireless. if you're in a band that moves around. a wireless is pretty much essential. I like cords, I've always used em'. So one night, I'm playing through one of our songs, big huge solo comes up where I'm intro'd. well, you guessed it, I got tangled up in my cord. and almost tripped off the stage. luckily I caught myself. but it was still not a cool experience.

Power strips.
9v Batteries (seriously, you WILL need them)

PEDAL POWER! ok, I know some people like batteries, and that's ok, but darn it. it is so nice to have, no worries about batteries dying and it's SO much cheaper if you're playing every night or every other night.

2x12 combos will never compete with 4x12s. ever. don't try, no matter how good it sounds you're 2x12 will never win against your other guitarists 4x12 JCM800

Always make sure to have a good monitor mix, too many times I didn't pay attention because I was busy doing something else and it really screwed with some of the set. especially if you play with tracks. it'll only be better for you AND the audience if you are happy.

Don't make the soundguy mad. seriously, it seems obvious. but the soundguy is like God, he WILL smite you if you make him mad.

I think that's about it for now, there is a lot more, but for now this is it.

Thanks for all the help UG. and once again thanks to Colin and anyone else who helped me out in my last thread
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jul 18, 2010,
Cool stuff man, i'll definitely keep this in mind if I ever hit the road. Good luck on getting that sponsorship.

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
dear god or sound guy please give him a splawn. he was sorely missed but naw he will talk about splawns all day again.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
send me a quickrod please!

Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
All pretty sound advice. The cable thing especially.

I did a gig on a small stage pretty recently and I had a bed of cables at my feet due to having a 7 meter long cable connected to a midi board and two boss pedals at my feet running on a 9volt adaptor, plus two 30 feet guitar cables one into the pedals and one out.

I felt like I was standing in a snake pit, hell I had problems pressing the buttons on my midi board because of the damn things!

Obviously I had to give a bit of concentration to my footing and anything that takes any concentration from your performance is bad!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
You have no idea how jealous I am. I want to be out touring

Congrats man, good luck with the sponsor as well!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

So I'm guessing you played Cornerstone festival? Congrats btw, on everything. the sponsorship, touring, etc etc etc. Makes me want to hit the road.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Great post, man. Glad to see you back on the boards, even if we're not really too familiar with each other. Congrats on the successful tour, and best of luck in the future. I envy your Splawn talks, however they might pan out.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Talentless: , that'd suck.

Ibz: Thanks Man!

Mortified: Nope, no cornerstone....yet.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Could you expand more on the 2x12 and 4x12 point?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by SimplyBen
You have no idea how jealous I am. I want to be out touring

Congrats man, good luck with the sponsor as well!
+1

I wish I still had a band. I wish we had took the chance to gig when it was available.

Quote by Adam124
I'd also like to hear about this.
Quote by Adam124

Yeah, my understanding has always been more, speakers simply makes your sound a bit "fuller" rather than significantly louder. So, could you talk a bit more about the 2x12 vs 4x12?

thanks
Well, I play a 2x12 JCM900 set at 100w, the other guitarist/singer runs a JCM800 through a 4x12. So, although it isn't technically smaller the 4x12 just push's a LOT more air and sounds way bigger, in turn sounding much louder. while it may NOT be louder it sounds much louder. that and as much as I hate to say it. it just doesn't look as cool.

and honestly I was always running my 900 at about half while the other girl was running her 800 at about 10 o clock
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
well it's a girl. problem solved. wait other girl. whose the first girl. you? GRAMMALOLZ
Quote by AcousticMirror
well it's a girl. problem solved. wait other girl. whose the first girl. you? GRAMMALOLZ

huh? AM. you know i'm in a band with 2 girls right?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
huh? AM. you know i'm in a band with 2 girls right?

WIN! ya I know. I was just reading the passage and it is funny if you read it a certain way.
Brett, you're possibly getting a sponsorship? I am dissapoint that you didn't tell me!

hook me up with a quickrod!!!!!!

Glad you're having fun man. Keep it up!
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Sorry but I have to disagree on the 2x12 vs 4x12.
I saw a gig were one guitarist was using a 4x12 halfstack and the other a Twin Reverb 2x12 combo; he sounded much better and was better heard than the other guitarist.
I have very little experience with gigging, but I always used 4x12's, whether my own or others'. At home, however, when jamming with a drummer, bassist and singer, a 2x12 suited far more appropriately. The 4x12 totally sucked up all the sound and drowned out everything else, without ever really cutting through, if you know what I mean? It just kinda took all the space up, instead of cutting through it.
Quote by Sguit
Sorry but I have to disagree on the 2x12 vs 4x12.
I saw a gig were one guitarist was using a 4x12 halfstack and the other a Twin Reverb 2x12 combo; he sounded much better and was better heard than the other guitarist.

Yeah, what was the guy using for an amp?

the 2x12 sounds much better for practice and very small gigs. other than that I'd use the 4x12 everytime.

EDIT: so much of sounding good has to do with how you EQ your amp. so if the other guy was using a crate blue voodo with the mids scooped to 0 of course that TR is gonna sound better.that and the TR is rated at something like a 120w it's an epically loud and clean amp. but in MY experience the 4x12 is almost always going to be a better choice live. it fills things out and will be a much better stage piece.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Yeah, what was the guy using for an amp?

the 2x12 sounds much better for practice and very small gigs. other than that I'd use the 4x12 everytime.

I think it was JCM2000 and was it at a quite big outdoor gig.
But then, maybe it was poorly EQ'd or something
But anyway, the 2x12 combo sounded awesome and was well heard
Quote by Sguit
I think it was JCM2000 and was it at a quite big outdoor gig.
But then, maybe it was poorly EQ'd or something
But anyway, the 2x12 combo sounded awesome and was well heard

Check my Edit. JCM2k's are not exactly great cutting amps. they are hard to EQ in my experience and don't cut well.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Check my Edit. JCM2k's are not exactly great cutting amps. they are hard to EQ in my experience and don't cut well.

Yeah, that might have been the problem but still, the soundguy is there to give a proper mix, so does the amount of speakers really matter since you are only mic'ing one?
Quote by Sguit
Yeah, that might have been the problem but still, the soundguy is there to give a proper mix, so does the amount of speakers really matter since you are only mic'ing one?

technically not. I'm takling stage volume only. if you're gonna mic up, which I do normally. it doesn't matter, but I DO like the sound of 4x12's more
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
technically not. I'm takling stage volume only. if you're gonna mic up, which I do normally. it doesn't matter, but I DO like the sound of 4x12's more

oh I see what you mean, it makes sense
!
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Wait. The girl has a 4X12? Look's like she has a bigger e-penis than you. Now you really need a Splawn.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I do just fine with my 2x12. I cut through great.

the problem may be that you're trying to occupy the same frequencies.
In a two guitar band, you have to work together to make sure you both cut through.
Otherwise a 900 will always get killed by an 800 in the live mix.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 18, 2010,
congrats brett. sounds like good times.

i thought you replaced the girl with the 800?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nope, she isn't playing all the time, I replaced some dude. he was just a hired gun till they found someone full time

John: you might be right. but it's not really a cutting issue so much as a "big" issue. it just doesn't fill out nearly as well as a 4x12

as for the rack question, honestly. this is the best piece of advice I can give. THE SIMPLER THE BETTER. at one show I ended up unplugging everything to find that I had a bad patch cable. it sucked. if you want to go rack, go midi for sure. I'd like a rack, the less pedals and cables you have the better though. bare minimum is the best way to go.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, well I'd chalk a lack of fullness as being a symptom of using a 900 versus an 800!

im thinking its more of an open back/closed backthing.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I think it's a little of both John and Greg
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
yeah, I tried it. it projected more, but it didn't fill out nearly as much as a 4x12. it's pretty simple the 4x12 just pushes more air. that's all. don't expect your 2x12 to sound as big or as loud for that matter. that's all i'm saying. it can sound great, and my 900 does sound good. but I think a 4x12 really is just more suited for stages.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Page 1 of 2