Page 1 of 2
So my band mate is looking for a new low-mid gain amp of around 30 watts or more (he needs the headroom) for a max of $1500 australian.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. My band mate doesn't want a hot rod deluxe. Apparently because he would feel stupid spending that much money on something that unremarkable. He also doesn't want an ac30 because i have one and he wants something different. A slightly stranger prerequisite however is that he doesn't want anything with a marshall badge on it for fear of being percieved a slash wanna be.
Versatility isn't the name of the game here; more kickass cleans to tasty crunch.
Any ideas GG&A?
I do believe this is what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hiwatt HG50
Classy, powerful, excellent cleans (think warm Fender) and Giraffe headroom.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by 601210
Seconded

Yep
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I second the VC30, although it's supposed to be kind of an AC30 clone, but don't tell him that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
I second the VC30, although it's supposed to be kind of an AC30 clone, but don't tell him that.

They don't sound the same though. I'd say that the two would sound quite good next to each other, similar enough but not identical. I could be wrong but I'm imagining quite a nice blend.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Orange Rocker 30 or AD30TC combo maybe.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by the_wassel
Shoot him.

unfortunetely guns are even harder to find then amps around here. Plus the guns and roses connotations makes it a definite no no for my band mate

Quote by Cathbard
They don't sound the same though. I'd say that the two would sound quite good next to each other, similar enough but not identical. I could be wrong but I'm imagining quite a nice blend.

In your opinion, does it have it's own thing going on or does it just not sound the same as an ac30 because it's not a very good clone?

Quote by Lurcher
Hiwatt HG50
Classy, powerful, excellent cleans (think warm Fender) and Giraffe headroom.

This one looked really good because of the cleans and the looks (if you couldn't tell my bandmate is big into aesthetics ) but it doesn't seem like too many people have played them. Anyone got something to say about these?
Quote by spitonastranger

This one looked really good because of the cleans and the looks (if you couldn't tell my bandmate is big into aesthetics ) but it doesn't seem like too many people have played them. Anyone got something to say about these?

David Gilmour and Pete Townshend are two of the most famous users of Hiwatt amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
No, it has it's own character, like all Laneys.

Goodluck finding a Hiwatt for $1500 in Australia. I hope you find one, I really do.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by Raijouta
David Gilmour and Pete Townshend are two of the most famous users of Hiwatt amps.

Sorry for the poor wording, i was refering more to the model in question....

Quote by Cathbard
No, it has it's own character, like all Laneys.

Goodluck finding a Hiwatt for $1500 in Australia. I hope you find one, I really do.

Oh that's cool i'll tell him to check it out then. Well actually the made in china Hi gain 50's are in that price range. (rrp on the 2x12 is $1750)
Last edited by spitonastranger at Jul 18, 2010,
There's a head on ebay.au atm with a buy now of $1600. You might pick it up for less in an auction. You'd still need a speaker cab though.
Real Hiwatts cost a mint over here. Awesome amps though.

Edit. I haven't seen those Chinese ones before tbh. How well are they built?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 18, 2010,
Quote by Leo_Watkins

If we were american then this would be the ideal solution. unfortunately an amp like that would cost $2000 australian once you factor in postage.

Quote by Cathbard
There's a head on ebay.au atm with a buy now of $1600. You might pick it up for less in an auction. You'd still need a speaker cab though.

The build quality seems alright and the clean circuit is supposedly identical to the british made equivalent.

This one was sold a little while ago
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Hiwatt-Hi-Gain-50-Valve-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-RRP-1795-/250659310604?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item3a5c758c0c
I recomend any of the Oranges for the price- and if you can some how get one for the price a Mesa Lonestar
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
what about an egnater rebel I think that is the model name. 30 watts and seem quite good. Not sure of the AUS price though
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
The 30W Egnater is around the AU$2300 mark. Mesas are priced like they are made of solid gold, even used ones. A lonestar would be around the AU$3000 mark.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Also not sure of the AUS price but try talking him into a Fender Supersonic. Damn sexy looking amps IMO and Good f@#$ing God do they sound thrice as good as they look. (Especially the blonde one.. I'm GASing for it quite badly..)
Here's an interesting development. A used orange rocker 30 has come up for an awesome price but there are some concerns.

1. headroom; some people says there's not alot, others say there's plenty. We're not very loud at all so maybe this wont be an issue but if anyone knows anything about this...

2. no fx loop; We use quite alot of delay and modulation and this concerns me. Will it be that much of an issue given that times when he uses delay and heavy overdrive will be rare?

I'd really like advice on this because i'd hate to advise him to do something he'll end up regretting.
I don't know a lot about the Orange tbh.

I have run delay/modulation pedals out front of my amp for 30 years. Effects loops are overated.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Peavey Classic 30/ Classic 50?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by Cathbard

Think that one over for a moment and you'll have your answer.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
hughes and ketner statesman? Meant to be an upgrades HRDeluxe supposedly
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Think that one over for a moment and you'll have your answer.

Well I wouldn't expect a hand wired turret board but not everything out of China is crap these days.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you go for the Laney VC30, don't get the 2x12.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
If you go for the Laney VC30, don't get the 2x12.

Why?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^^^ The chinese Hiwatts are crap.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Cathbard
Why?

Speakers aren't great, it's no better than the 1x12. It's a waste of money. The only thing you get more of is size and weight, which isn't worth the price difference between it and the 1x12.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
^ Except if you change the speakers, the 2x12 will have more punch than the 1x12. Depends on whether the TS thinks that's worth it.

Well if he scores the one I posted on ebay for the right price he could replace the speakers with the money left over. I think I'd want the 2x12" so when I did load it up with something nice I would have a kickass amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ub3r_bassist666

Anyone?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Yeah the chinese hiwatts are out, mainly because they're impossible to find and there's literally no information on them. The laneys are a possibility though it's hard to say wether my friend will dig them. What do you guys think of getting a vintage bassman shipped to australia? they're the least unwieldy of the fender amps to ship and can be had for a good price.

Quote by ub3r_bassist666

mmm these are a possibility aswell, classic thirties get alot of love on the forums and they're cleans sound solid.
^ How vintage? Tweed? Blackface?

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ How vintage? Tweed? Blackface?

blackface/silverface. Tweed's too expensive and wouldn't work well in the context of our band.
^ I wouldn't get a silverface if you're going for amp overdrive.

They're great pedal platforms, though.

Page 1 of 2