Hey all. I'm looking to pick up a new amp tomorrow since I'm selling my frontman 25r to my brother...

I'm leaning heavily towards a vox vt15 since I'm looking for something a bit more versatile but not really keen on spending too terribly much. I play a MIM Strat with mightymite single coils and go for mainly classic rock an blues.

Does anyone know anything about this amp? Is it a good buy? Am I about to make a terrible mistake? I'll definitely take it for a test drive at the local music store tomorrow, but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
~ C
I use the older DA15 as a practice/travel amp and have had great results. Recently rediscovered the awesome drive model. The VT series are supposed to be a little better. I think the have a preamp tube that can be switched out for even better tone.

What's your budget? This is a slight move up from the frontman, but nothing major. I would look at a Fender Blues Jr or a Peavey Classic 30.
Quote by denied
I use the older DA15 as a practice/travel amp and have had great results. Recently rediscovered the awesome drive model. The VT series are supposed to be a little better. I think the have a preamp tube that can be switched out for even better tone.

What's your budget? This is a slight move up from the frontman, but nothing major. I would look at a Fender Blues Jr or a Peavey Classic 30.

hmm I've looked into the Blues Jr before, but I think it's a bit out of my price range (at the very most 300usd, but I'd prefer not to crack 200 because I'd be cutting it close with the rent then :P)

Also, I absolutely need an amp with a headphone jack, since I live in a building with thin walls and some temperamental neighbors.
I've had the VT30 Valvetronix for a few weeks now, and I can say it will handle blues and rock very well, the features on the amp are amazing, from the wattage selector to the huge amount of built-in programs and effects. (Plus it has the independent reverb, which is a huge improvement)
If you like it when testing, why not buy it? It's not too expensive and has all the previously listed features.

this post sounds like an ad, doesnt it?
Quote by durhamdynamo
I like my coffee like I like my women.

Covered in bees!
the VT series have the tube in the power amp, (the old AD valtronix had them in the pre-amp).
I have a VT100 and i'm very pleased with it, but the speaker on the 15 creates a totally different sound. The speaker on the VT30 is alot better (just because of the size). But if ur mainly playing through headphones, i guess the 15 will be good.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
it wouldn't be a mistake to buy. You might get sick of the modelling as you progress, though. Still it sounds good and is reliable.
Quote by diamanth
I've had the VT30 Valvetronix for a few weeks now, and I can say it will handle blues and rock very well, the features on the amp are amazing, from the wattage selector to the huge amount of built-in programs and effects. (Plus it has the independent reverb, which is a huge improvement)
If you like it when testing, why not buy it? It's not too expensive and has all the previously listed features.

this post sounds like an ad, doesnt it?

huh how would you say the VT30 compares to the VT15? Is it an extremely noticeable difference?
If I were you I would get the VT30, it sounds a bit clearer due to the bigger speaker and bizzarely you can actually play it at lower volumes, due to the wattage selector. Obviously you then also have the power to open it up for band practice and gigs
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Cajanek
huh how would you say the VT30 compares to the VT15? Is it an extremely noticeable difference?

Well, if you use the headphones, i think they will sound pretty much the same, in my reply i was praising all the effects and pre-set amp stuff, both the amps are loud enough for bedroom practice, i suggest. Oh, and the bigger speaker affects the tone slightly, but you cant really hear it at lower volumes?

EDIT:
Originally Posted by turtlewax
If I were you I would get the VT30, it sounds a bit clearer due to the bigger speaker and bizzarely you can actually play it at lower volumes, due to the wattage selector. Obviously you then also have the power to open it up for band practice and gigs

This is a more sense-making way of saying what i was trying to say, although i'm not suggesting you to buy the VT30.
Quote by durhamdynamo
I like my coffee like I like my women.

Covered in bees!
Last edited by diamanth at Jul 18, 2010,
It's an awesome amp for cleans, blues, classic rock. It can do metal if u want it to but it's not the best for metal.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
The amp models on this amp are very well suited to rock and blues. What they're saying above is that the VT15 has a speaker which is very bassy for some reason. You can eq this out however. The VT30s speaker isn't as bassy, so is slightly better, but if you eq it right you cant tell the difference. Keeping the bass down around 10-11, mids around 12, and treble between 2-4 works well with clean amp models and the AC15 and OD models.
Quote by Dan_5893
The amp models on this amp are very well suited to rock and blues. What they're saying above is that the VT15 has a speaker which is very bassy for some reason. You can eq this out however. The VT30s speaker isn't as bassy, so is slightly better, but if you eq it right you cant tell the difference. Keeping the bass down around 10-11, mids around 12, and treble between 2-4 works well with clean amp models and the AC15 and OD models.

Really? On my VT100 i have the bass set to ZERO!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
righto well I'll check them both out at the music store today - My crappy lil frontman is extremely touchy when it comes to bass so I'm used to EQing stuff out, and since I'm not really a metal guy anyway this amp sounds right up my alley.

Thank again for the help folks.

~ C
They are good amps, and versitale.

If you can, buy the VT30 used. Dont buy new.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!