Hey, So I'm going to buy one of my friends a Ukulele for her birthday, a she's wanted one for ages, nothing fancy, just a basic one to get started. She plays guitar left handed, so does this mean the Uke must be left handed? Or could you just re string it the opposite way? If so, have you got any suggestions for a decent cheap Ukulele that I could get in the UK, bearing in mind she is left handed?

Cheers
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

mahalo uke's are all cheap and starter's and dunno about the string situation lefty's are wierd =S
I think you'd be best getting her a lefty.
My uke's a ridiculously cheap Mahalo (only cost me £10) and it's pretty much symmetrical so I imagine it could be re-strung lefty with no problems.
I imagine Mahalo probably do do lefty ukes though and I also wouldn't reccomend getting the cheapest uke available - mine goes out of tune way too easily and the tuning machines are terrible.
I've seen fairly decent looking ukes for around £30 and I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to acquire a left handed one.
Good luck!
Okay, thanks for the input, Ive been looking at Vintage (the brand, not as in age) ones, as I have had only good experiences with there stuff, and they are great bang for the buck. I'll keep looking around.
- Joe Bonamassa

ahh yeah when i worked in the old music shop we messed about with a fair few vintage uke's, you can get them with outputs aswell as coustic... andelctro acoustic uke how awesome!
Quote by manicmusician
ahh yeah when i worked in the old music shop we messed about with a fair few vintage uke's, you can get them with outputs aswell as coustic... andelctro acoustic uke how awesome!

Ahh awesome, were they any good? And I saw the electro acoustic ones, they seen so bad ass
- Joe Bonamassa

NOOOOO!!

I disagree with the needing to buy a lefty. i play lefty too, and bought a normal right handed mahogany bass ukulele not too long ago. my intent was to try and play it right handed normally but there was no way so i flipped the strings. almost all ukuleles are symetrical and the saddles are very rarely anything but straight, if they are just flip that too though.

anyways, just get a right one. i didn't even need new string, i just flipped the ones on it with no problem.

and i dont know youre price range, but check lanikai ukuleles. they have various ranges and some really nice looking ones.
Surely, if they cost the same, it would be more convenient to buy a left handed uke though?
If there is some huge price difference (or you can't find a lefty one), flipping a right handed uke may save you a few quid/bucks/kroner, but if they are all symmetrical anyway, then there shouldn't be a price difference, right?
Before you buy a cheap ukulele, check its intonation. I bought a cheap uke for about 20 euros, and it had ridiculously bad intonation (it was about a half semi-tone off by the second fret:S).

In my opinion, all those ukes around 20 euros are toys and not real instruments.

Also, be a nice guy and restring it with Aquila Nylgut strings