I've just been getting into the Ramones, and As far as I can see, aren't they famous just for knowing how to play power chords and that's about it? Don't get me wrong I'm loving the tunes, it's just seriously, as a punk guitarist (in the style of punk that the Ramones too, can't you just be a professional paid musician and all you need to know is how to play power chords?I mean they don't even play solos for goodness sake!
Quote by kerkhammet
I've just been getting into the Ramones, and As far as I can see, aren't they famous just for knowing how to play power chords and that's about it? Don't get me wrong I'm loving the tunes, it's just seriously, as a punk guitarist (in the style of punk that the Ramones too, can't you just be a professional paid musician and all you need to know is how to play power chords?I mean they don't even play solos for goodness sake!

If it sounds good people will like it, it doesn't always have to be insane shredding all the time to sound good.
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Ramones was probably the first real punk rock group, they created a brand new sound, thats probably why they're popular, and their music is good ^^
Solos aren;t big in punk to my knowledge, and I think its more about attitude and I guess songwriting/lyrical content than it is neccesarily about amazin technical skills. Also look at allthe three chord and capo songwriters, they are not always great guitarists either, but guys like John Fogerty, Bob Dylan etxc have made great contributions to popular music.
Just remember K.I.S.S (no relation to Ace and co) and you will find enlightenment young Weedhopper. That is the way to true punk rock.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
spiderman has a solo
Gear:
Boss MD-2
Fake Gibson Les Paul
Washburn BD12R
Kawasaki Acoustic

Quote by Lots O' FX
digoutyerarse: none dig deeper

I"M SO RANDUMZ LOL
A good solo compliments a song ; it doesn't define it. Remember that and you'll have it a lot easier in a band setting!
Quote by Fiddly Diddly69
If it sounds good people will like it, it doesn't always have to be insane shredding all the time to sound good.

Everybody here already knows this. Stop posting it; it's ****ing boring.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
A good solo compliments a song ; it doesn't define it. Remember that and you'll have it a lot easier in a band setting!

Alright I agree, but Freebird is a legendary solo, and to most people it defines the song!
Quote by kerkhammet
Alright I agree, but Freebird is a legendary solo, and to most people it defines the song!

Did you know that song originally started off with only a 4 bar solo at the end? It was slowly extended after playing it and ended up as is. If you take the Freebird solo out of Freebird you still end up with an amazingly well written song with killer piano and slide guitar. Songs are the base ; the cake if you will. Solo's are always the icing. If you eat a piece of cake with killer icing but you bite into and it's shit it ain't a good cake. That goes for any legendary solo :

November Rain
Comfortably Numb
Stairway
Fade To Black
Crazy Train
Back In Back

Strip 'em down and you still have a kick ass song!

Now I do wish the "guitar solo" would make a comeback in prominent modern rock though!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Did you know that song originally started off with only a 4 bar solo at the end? It was slowly extended after playing it and ended up as is. If you take the Freebird solo out of Freebird you still end up with an amazingly well written song with killer piano and slide guitar.

from what i remember, the solo was extended to give the singer a few minutes to take a break. he basicly told the rest of the band that he needed some time to grab water and rest his voice, so to just have some fun for a while. of course the song ended up being one of those songs that ends concerts, which kinda killed that goal

ramones are great because of the attitude they bring, not because they are technically outstanding. a lot of it was them rebelling against the over produced music that was out there, and a lot of people related to it. and the songs are catchy as hell too
The point is not that they're playing just powerchords. They got something else that works with them, something that makes it all click.
If it sounds good, people likes it.

It's like when you are jamming random stuff. If it sounds good, it is good. Trust your ears, etc.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
As far as im concerned with punk the three key ingredients are, sound, attitude, and how well you can make people feel what your playing. and as far as the ramones go they are indeed the grandfathers of punk and because they created something new they were revered for it.
For a heart of ice,
a winters night is a breathless kiss,

For a heart of fire,
a summers day is a lovers embrace.

-Me-
"ohh a piece of candy!!!"
Quote by Ledezeppekok
Ramones was probably the first real punk rock group, they created a brand new sound, thats probably why they're popular, and their music is good ^^

ever heard of the stooges? you may call them 'protopunk' but theyre authentic to me. and johnny ramone decided to start a band after going to a stooges show in NYC
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by kerkhammet

congratulations you've discovered punk rock.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by digoutyerarse
spiderman has a solo

Wasn't played by Johnny Ramone. He barely played leads; and almost never live.

All the solos in The Ramones' later music were done by Studio musicians.