hey guys i've narrowed my amp buying choice to either the marshall jvm 205h or the jcm 2000 dsl 100h

Those who have properly tried both amps, what would you suggest?
GEAR -
Gibson Les Paul VOS '57 gold top
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
If your going for a dsl go for the 50w head. its alot cheaper and apparently it sounds better.
ah k awesome
yeah just wondering because personally, i really, really dig the cleans on the jvm but yeah, was just seeing what other peoples opinions were
if theres any other opinions just chuck them up on here
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
I haven't played either, but the JVM gets alot of hate.

I've also heard the DSL only really sounds good with a boost in front.

I like the sounds Satch gets out of his JVMs, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
and what do you mean by the JVM getting alot of hate

like, what for?
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
Quote by chivesmcpoe

like, what for?

for being awful.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by chivesmcpoe

like, what for?

It means that there's a lot of (ridiculous) Marshall hate going on here.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Dsl
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JesusCrisp
It means that there's a lot of (ridiculous) Marshall hate going on here.

they just really overpriced...i'd imagine even more so in oz.
but then again everything else probably costs 12 million smooth rocks or whatever currency they use over there.
Quote by AcousticMirror
but then again everything else probably costs 12 million smooth rocks or whatever currency they use over there.

We call them dollars too - but ours are prettier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror

Jack-ass

Marshall in Australia is one of the more cheap brands over here. I think thats since its the most common and popular, there are plenty on the used market and you can pick them up for like half the price of just about anything else.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Damn straight. You can buy 5 Marshalls for the price of a Mesa and people live in houses that cost less than a proper Fender.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AcousticMirror

Their pricing here in Europe is okay IMO.

@TS:
Why those 2 amps?
Genres/Bands you play?
Budget?
etc.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by AcousticMirror

The JVM205 isn't that overpriced for what it is...

At any rate you can get 'em for cheaper used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 19, 2010,
k thanks guys
i could get a jvm used from the us for bout a grand or maybe less, so thats why im considering that

Quote by JesusCrisp

@TS:
Why those 2 amps?
Genres/Bands you play?
Budget?
etc.

basically their the two ive been looking at for a while but im still totally open to whatever
basically i guess loosely playing hard rock, but still blues and also high-gain sort of stuff so i guess versatility is kinda key
and wouldnt be much over a grand, gotta save money for schoolies too so yeah, not too much hopefully :P
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
They sold a lot of Laney AORs out here. Worth keeping an eye out for a good one of those too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by chivesmcpoe
ah k awesome
yeah just wondering because personally, i really, really dig the cleans on the jvm but yeah, was just seeing what other peoples opinions were
if theres any other opinions just chuck them up on here

get the dsl 50 watt i have it and id say its the best marshall ive ever had (for the price i paid for it) tsl 60 watt is also good lead channel has a little extra gain compared to other marshalls if ur planing on buying it new you should look at second hand jcm800's for around the same price
Quote by denied
Neither are great amps. Both pretty thin sounding IMO. Marshall make great amps, but I'm just not a fan of the new high gain ones.

the dsl and the jvm are definitely nowhere near thin sounding
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Oddly enough, I'm looking for a versatile amp that will go from clean to high gain and have gain stages inbetween with the ability to boost every channel for leads and I find it hard to get past a Marshall JVM 100w with 4 channels. To me it seems to be extremely versatile and I wouldn't have thought it's a turkey if Joe Satriani's using one. It's not like we're talking Zakk Wylde's endorsement of MG amps here!! It seems you can pick one up used in the region of £600 and in all honesty, what else is available that's better and just as versatile for that kind of price? I'd thought of a Laney TT50 but it sounds a bit generic to me and the only other one that leapt to mind was the Blackstar HT Stage 100w. Now I really did fancy that one but recently I've started to notice a number of posts on the internet from people who have bought these amps and they've broken down. I suppose a Bugera gives you a lot of bang for your buck and apparently they sound superb but here the reliability issues are even worse. I'd maybe still consider the Blackstar but other than that I'm not sure what I'd have instead of a JVM.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
is 4 channels automatically better then 2?
do you seriously use all 4 channels when you play out?
No, I wouldn't, but I would use three. In the Rock covers band I play in I use three core tones: Clean, hot rodded JCM800 kind of tone and high gain. The 4 channel JVM will provide all of that and all be programmed into the first three buttons on the footswitch. You could then repeat those tones on the next three buttons but use Master Volume 2 to boost the volume for solos. As I say; very versatile. For all of that, I really wanted to like the Blackstar and I do, but all those reports of poor reliability are a bit worrying.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The JVM is far better than the DSL. I've owned both.

The lead channel on the DSL makes me want to cry. It's the thinnest fuzziest thing I've ever heard.

Get the JVM or a Laney VH100R
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by JLT73
the dsl and the jvm are definitely nowhere near thin sounding

+ 100,000,000

I get huge phat tone with my DSL 100 1960AV halfstack.

I love the DSL 100 so much, I have 3 of 'em.
k thanks heaps for all your suggestions guys
the JVM is MUCH CHEAPER than what it normally retails for, thats why im considering that
so yeah, i think ive narrowed it down to the JVM, if any one wants to keep suggesting or whatever, throw it up here
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15
I've had both JVM and DSL. They are both awesome amps. It depends what you are looking for though. The cleans on the DSL are to die for, where as the cleans on the jvm arn't bad, but distort easier. Which leads to a few problems for me, like figuring out what levels to set everything. And the crunch setting sucks on the JVM in my experience. For me, it change the voice of the amp too much.

If you want to keep it simple, get a DSL. If you are wiling to learn how use a JVM to its potential, get one, because swapping out the DSL for a JVM turned out to be the best choice I've made gear wise.

One big turning point for me was the midi in/out. I just got a Nova System. So I can use it to change channels and presets at the same time. The DSL is simple, and tends to sound better with effects and stomps in the front of the amp.

Just be aware, whilst they are both good amps, but they are completely different. A JVM is a monster, its taming thats the problem.

But also to mention, I use a JVM410h, so again, it could be a little different in your case.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
ah k stueey thanks heaps
yeah the 4 seems much more complex to use and get your desirable sound out of due to the f**kload of controls you have at disposal. like you said, a monster that has to be tamed

the 2 channel seems waaaaaay more streamlined, so hmmmmmm
going to try them out again tomorrow with my own guitar no exactly what im getting
hopefully all good
GEAR -
ESP LTD MH-250NT
Vox AC15