I'm new here. I registered just for a little bit of advice on a trade question. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I own an old circa '96 PRS CE-22. I believe this is the model name. It may be an SE custom 22. Either way, it's discontinued and I was young when I got it so I'm not sure. It's in great shape, plays wonderfully, sounds excellent. I've gigged with it for 10 years - love this guitar. However, I just became a father. I don't play much anymore and I want to own something that will appreciate in value and, for lack of a better word "coolness." So that one day when my son is in a band (perhaps?), he can break out this thing and be the coolest kid on the block. Or, if he goes a different route, I could still have an investment piece that will hold it's value. So, as indicated in the title I'm entertaining the notion of trading the PRS, which I believe not to be of the classic reputation of a fender telecaster, for $800 in credit toward the purchase of an american standard telecaster. My question (finally) is "Is this a good deal?" Should I hang on to the PRS instead of trading it? If the trade is the best option, what color tele will hold it's value for the longest? Rosewood vs. Maple fretboard? I'd appreciate anyone who wants to share his/her knowledge with me in order to better guide this decision. Thanks.

c h ad
Is it an SE or not ? That makes a difference. The color of a guitar makes no difference in value.
I would make sure what model the PRS is before doing anything. From what I have heard some of the earlier CE (not SE) models are starting to appreciate in value.
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
I would never get rid of a guitar that I have owned that long, And If you love it and you've been giging with it for that long I don't know why you'd want to. Fender Telecasters and Strats will be around forever, I'd just keep your PRS and then save for the Fender, maybe when he turns a certain age take him to get it.
notice how that guitar is going for $1300 and GC will give you $800 for it. i think you just answered your own question.

however, i would think that keeping the PRS would be the better option. PRS makes some fantastic guitars, as you obviously know. i would think that a mid-90's PRS like that would hold its value, and even appreciate in value, better than a standard MIA tele. unless you are getting a vintage tele or something, thats a different story.
I dont want to steal your thread but can somebody tell me if every PRS guitar is made by hand or just the top models like Fender for example? Thanks.

Quote by a_hub10
I keep my Schecter in dropped D all the time, and i didn't buy an attachment of any kind.

Quote by CraftyTrickster
You should just tell the seller: ¡Boludo!
Last edited by haceteunosmates at Jul 18, 2010,
i think the se are made in china but the rest are made somewhat by hand
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
I'd keep the PRS but when your son grows up he probably wouldnt want a tele to look "cool"

more of a V guitar perhaps?
Quote by jof1029
notice how that guitar is going for $1300 and GC will give you $800 for it. i think you just answered your own question.

however, i would think that keeping the PRS would be the better option. PRS makes some fantastic guitars, as you obviously know. i would think that a mid-90's PRS like that would hold its value, and even appreciate in value, better than a standard MIA tele. unless you are getting a vintage tele or something, thats a different story.

I agree, the early PRS guitars are going to hold value much better than any newer Fender (with the possibl exception of the custom shop signature reproductions).
-----------------------------------
G.A.S. Afflicted
Quote by Skagasm
i think the se are made in china but the rest are made somewhat by hand

Korea
Nothing post 1970 is going to appreciate much. Certain guitars will hold value better than others, though. Once mass production began in the 70's it changed everything - for the worst in some ways, but at least we can all afford guitars now. This is why only pre-1970 can be classified as "vintage" in many circles.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Wait 6 more years and it will become vintage. Then it would start to appreciate.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by sstony
Korea

yeah one of those cheap labor places
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!