IN my experience using Tung oil which as far as I know is fairly similar finishing wise to Tru Oil, 3oz should be enough.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That's a pretty small bottle but it can go a long way some times use it evenly all over and if you feel you need more coats buy another bottle, it's all preference really.
Thanks, yeah it is a small bottle, got it with a set that also contained stock sheen and conditioner, aswell as walnut stain. (Might use the stain for something else.)

Hopefully it's enough to protect the body wood.
I've just completed my build using Tru-oil, you probably won't even go through half a bottle. I put on something in the region of 8-10 coats. A little goes a long way. Also it's a really nice finish.

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Squier Blonde Standard Telecaster
Home built Telecaster Deluxe
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb
Korg Pandora PX4 multi effects
Digitech Death Metal distortion pedal

God is busy, save yourselves!!!
Thanks thrench, appreciate it!

I'll be oiling from tomorrow onwards, is it best to oil using fingers, or a cloth?
Last edited by Blast For Satan at Jul 19, 2010,
fingers without a doubt. Not to much and just gently rub it in, be careful of runs and then hang it up for 24hrs. Give it a gently rub down with the lightest grade of paper and then clean up and put on another thin coat. I think you should be looking at a minimum of 5-8 coats

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb

Thanks Thrench, really appreciate that!

I'll be starting from tomorrow, so just to be clear, a single coat a day yeah? (Got a gig on the 30th, so might not be able to get many layers in time...)
Last edited by Blast For Satan at Jul 20, 2010,
fingers? no, definitely not! Cloth, for sure. cheese cloth works very well.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just found the LMII tutorial on a Tru-Oil finish, answers a lot of the questions I have, quite in depth! http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/truoil.htm

Cheese cloth sounds interesting, I'll see if I can pick up a good cloth tomorrow, last thing I want is fibres in my finish.
Thanks again for answering my questions, probably should've googled these before asking!

Thanks
you won't; cheese cloth is so widely meshed it's almost just meshed string.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Oneblackened I'm interested in knowing why you shouldn't use your fingers? Have you tried both methods and if so what's the difference (I haven't so I can't comment on the clothe method)? One thing that would be different between the two would be that you'd use a lot more oil using the cloth.

You'll find that Birchwood Casey, the makers of tru-oil recommend using your fingers as well. The link to their literature download page is below

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Company/Literature.aspx

Regards

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb

Yeah, I did have a booklet/tutorial thing come with the oil and it showed using fingers... you're right the cloth does use more oil compared to finger (gave it a go earlier today on spare wood).

I think I'll stick with the cloth method for now anyways, mainly because I sweat a lot during the summer, so it'd be more like a sweat finish, compared to Tru-Oil
Last edited by Blast For Satan at Jul 21, 2010,
Yeah, you'll have enough.
I used it to refinish my neck after I slimmed it down a bit and I hardly got through any, despite the fact that i put on loads of coats. Was using it today on a box... kept spilling the damn stuff. good job it wipes off of waterproof surfaces
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by thrench
Oneblackened I'm interested in knowing why you shouldn't use your fingers? Have you tried both methods and if so what's the difference (I haven't so I can't comment on the clothe method)? One thing that would be different between the two would be that you'd use a lot more oil using the cloth.

You'll find that Birchwood Casey, the makers of tru-oil recommend using your fingers as well. The link to their literature download page is below

http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Company/Literature.aspx

Regards

Thrench

You know what? Actually, I was thinking sans some kind of glove, in which case you'd get finger prints in your finish.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Just as a follow up, if you use your fingers you don't need to use a glove and I can say for sure that you don't leave finger prints behind my guitar is living proof of this. Anyhow, which ever method you use you should end up with an excellent finish.

Thrench
Ibanez AS73
Vox AC4TV amp
Vox V845 Wah Wah
Marshall reverb