Recently I've become more of a stickler about my tone and can't seem to find that perfect sound. I'm looking for a Master of Puppets meets Among the Living type of sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Amp- Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals - Boss Metal Zone
- Boss Equalizer
^agreed. and boost the mids on amp and EQ. if your looking for a new guitar, then i prescribe something with emgs or livewires
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Again, ditch the distortion pedal and get a decent OD like a tube screamer or something similar.

As for EMGs? Personally I hate actives, but that's just me. If you like the sound of them, then try the SD Blackouts. They always sounded better to me than the EMGs did.

If you want to go w/ passives, look into a BNP Nailbomb or Painkiller.

The Valveking isn't a bad amp, and if you're happy w/ the tone you're getting out of it than stick w/ it. If you're looking to eventually upgrade, then try a 5150 or 6505.

As for speakers, V30s are tough to beat for metal.
Eventually Ill get a new pedal. As for my guitar. I'm fine with it. I may end up putting some SDs in it at some point. But I guess I should have been a little more specific with my original post. I need help getting the best possible tone out of what I already have. lol. Although I will take into consideration all of the tips so far.
Quote by ChunkNorris
Eventually Ill get a new pedal. As for my guitar. I'm fine with it. I may end up putting some SDs in it at some point. But I guess I should have been a little more specific with my original post. I need help getting the best possible tone out of what I already have. lol. Although I will take into consideration all of the tips so far.

Easiest thing you can do right now to improve your tone is to get an OD pedal.

A pup swap is another thing you can try, although you should really research that beforehand as there as just so many different kinds of pups on the market today.

Also, you might try switching your strings to a lighter/heavier gauge as well.